#16 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Apr 10 2006, 09:23 AM) View Post

Because then the issue wouldn't come up. You also wouldn't have screaming babies at all. Parents with newborns need to sacrifice some things, like going to nice restaurants with their infants. Your child is not my burden and I don't want to hear it screaming while I'm dining. Common courtesy would be keeping the infant at home.

I dined out plenty with my infants and if they screamed I left. But there were plenty of times, especially when they were newsborns and sleeping, that they didn't make a peep.

Parents make plenty of sacrifices and once you have a child, you'll realize how selfish and judgemental people are toward those with children.

If we used common courtesy to keep "burdens" away from us at restaurants half the people would need to leave because of their flipping cell phones. Take half of those left and remove them because wear too much perfume and it bothers me. Take half of those left and removed them because they've imbibed too much, are rude and loud and it bothers me. and so on, and so on.

#17 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Apr 10 2006, 09:39 AM) View Post

I dined out plenty with my infants and if they screamed I left. But there were plenty of times, especially when they were newsborns and sleeping, that they didn't make a peep.

Parents make plenty of sacrifices and once you have a child, you'll realize how selfish and judgemental people are toward those with children.

If we used common courtesy to keep "burdens" away from us at restaurants half the people would need to leave because of their flipping cell phones. Take half of those left and remove them because wear too much perfume and it bothers me. Take half of those left and removed them because they've imbibed too much, are rude and loud and it bothers me. and so on, and so on.

Good for you for removing the screaming child from the restaurant. My grievance is that today too few parents are willing to do that.

#18 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Apr 10 2006, 09:43 AM) View Post

Good for you for removing the screaming child from the restaurant. My grievance is that today too few parents are willing to do that.

I agree completely with you. My grievance is that today too few parents actually expect their kids to be well behaved, they're afraid that they might hurt their feelings and damage their self-esteem.

#19 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(cw68 @ Apr 10 2006, 09:44 AM) View Post

I agree completely with you. My grievance is that today too few parents actually expect their kids to be well behaved, they're afraid that they might hurt their feelings and damage their self-esteem.

I can vouch that cw68 has the most well-behaved little children I have ever met.

#20 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(Farley @ Apr 10 2006, 09:46 AM) View Post

I can vouch that cw68 has the most well-behaved little children I have ever met.

Thank-you Farley! They are good kids, I'm very proud of them.

#21 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

One thing we've learned is that by taking our daughter out to restaraunts with us since she was very small, she's become acclimated to hat environment and she behaves very well. We have friends who have very rarely taken their son out and it shows - he just doesn't know how to behave at a restaraunt. Granted, when we take the kids we generally go someplace "family friendly" like Red Robin, Chili's, etc.. My son is now 7 months old and has been out with us several times. He has never caused a problem, probably primarily because we time our outings to coincide with his evening nap!

You also wouldn't have screaming babies at all. Parents with newborns need to sacrifice some things, like going to nice restaurants with their infants. Your child is not my burden and I don't want to hear it screaming while I'm dining.

Perhaps you should stay home then! tongue.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, parents do sacrafice quite a bit and it's just not too much to ask of the public to put up with us needing to leave our homes with our children every once in a while. I've heard enough of these kinds of complaints - parents with their crying kids at the grocery store, parents with their crying kids at the mall, parents with their crying kids at restaraunts, etc.. The reality is that sometimes parents have to get out and do things and you can't just leave your kids at home. Kids to cry and occasionally throw fits. As a parent you learn how to deal with these things, but you WON'T know how to deal with it until it has happened a few times. Thus, sometimes a parent with an infant finds him or herself in an embarrassing situation. My advice - if the person looks like they're in some way trying to calm the kid down, cut them some slack. Most likely, you were "that" kid at some point in your life too and your parents drew the ire of the uptight people around them.

#22 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Apr 10 2006, 09:57 AM) View Post

One thing we've learned is that by taking our daughter out to restaraunts with us since she was very small, she's become acclimated to hat environment and she behaves very well. We have friends who have very rarely taken their son out and it shows - he just doesn't know how to behave at a restaraunt. Granted, when we take the kids we generally go someplace "family friendly" like Red Robin, Chili's, etc.. My son is now 7 months old and has been out with us several times. He has never caused a problem, probably primarily because we time our outings to coincide with his evening nap!

I think you've got it. Timing is key.

My kids, 4 1/2 and 3, can eat out pretty much anywhere, but we limit the number of times we go to fancier restaurants so they can enjoy themselves on the whole. Then they look forward to going out to eat with us and will be more restrained when needed, knowing that most of the time it's not the case. I also think that they secretly get a kick out of everyone fawning all over them, "Oh, your children are so well mannered." or something like "Look at that, they eat sushi!" It gives them the good attention (and often free desserts, too!).

#23 Anthony2173

Anthony2173

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

It's a baby and a boob... they never offend me separately nor do they offend me when combined.

#24 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

breast feeding - the ultimate FAST FOOD ! ..for an infant

It has become much more accepted practice to breast feed in public in the last 10-15 years.. and I see no problem with it...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#25 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

Because then the issue wouldn't come up. You also wouldn't have screaming babies at all. Parents with newborns need to sacrifice some things, like going to nice restaurants with their infants. Your child is not my burden and I don't want to hear it screaming while I'm dining. Common courtesy would be keeping the infant at home.

Chad, I can't wait until you are a dad. I really can't. Your life will turn absolutely upside down!

#26 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 10 2006, 11:34 AM) View Post

Chad, I can't wait until you are a dad. I really can't. Your life will turn absolutely upside down!

I think many of us parents have thought that for a long time... LOL laugh.gif
One cannot really understand how it is , unless they have had them...

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#27 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE(john @ Apr 10 2006, 11:34 AM) View Post

I second that.

#28 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Apr 9 2006, 11:55 PM) View Post

I am now breastfeeding my third kiddo and I will tell you I don't like to use a public bathroom to feed my baby, I will go out to the car if I have to.

I am surprised though that as vocal as you are on certain subjects that something as natural as breastfeeding a baby should bother you swmr.

If she covered herself up that would've been different. But while I am eating my dinner, I do not want to see any woman's breast, or a man's penis (don't know why they would take that out in the restaurant though). If she had put a blanket over her shoulder and the baby so her breast wasn't exposed, I wouldn't have had a problem. But once again, I don't want to see a bare breast just like I'm sure you don't want to see an exposed penis while eating your dinner.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#29 Solartide

Solartide

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

Two differnt things, One is out of neccessity.

#30 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Apr 10 2006, 09:19 AM) View Post

Frankly, SWMR, I'm a bit surprised to hear this from you. After all, how would you feel is somebody came to the site and posted "Just the other night, I was out to eat with my family and they seated a gay couple in the booth right next to us...."?

I'd laugh and think along the same lines as Chad. You have the option of whipping out your boob to feed your child w/o covering it up. If the gay couple was out eating and enjoying their meal then yay. If they were exposing themselves (cuz the "natural" thing for us is to be nude. If it weren't for Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit then we would have had no shame/self awareness) in the restuarant while eating their dinner, then I would be just as uncomfortable and would ask the manager to ask them to leave.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users