• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

http://www.autoblog....em-free-coffee/
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#2 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Hm, I work in Rancho. I should do some gratuitous driving around in hopes of getting pulled over!

#3 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

I don't know that a $5 gift card would be worth the heart attack I would have after seeing a cop with flashing lights pulling me over!!
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(OceanGirl @ Dec 18 2007, 10:37 PM) View Post
I don't know that a $5 gift card would be worth the heart attack I would have after seeing a cop with flashing lights pulling me over!!

I kinda agree... ! Not something I'd want. I'd probably say something stupid and get a ticket anyway! tongue.gif

#6 jafount

jafount

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

This is sooooo not a good idea. It's also demoralizing for the officer.

Scenario:

Officer stops a driver for courteous driving. Upon approaching the vehicle, notices what appears to be a Kilo of cocaine in the back seat. Officer arrests driver.

What was the legal basis for the stop? The stop is actually false imprisonment. The fact is, though the contraband was in plain view, the stop on the vehicle was illegal and any evidence subsequent to an illegal stop is excluded.

If they are serious about rewarding good drivers, send them the gift card in the mail. protect the agency and the officer from lawsuits and fourth amendment violations.
We all dream of a world of sunshine and rainbows and peace. The problem is some people think this would be a great place to live, while others think it would be a great place to pillage.

#7 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(john @ Dec 18 2007, 10:49 PM) View Post
I kinda agree... ! Not something I'd want. I'd probably say something stupid and get a ticket anyway! tongue.gif

Same here - something like "thanks officer! I'll give it to my boss. It'll make up for the fact that I'M LATE FOR WORK NOW!"
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#8 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

There was a big discussion about this the other night on 98 Rock. Most of the callers did not favor this idea. I am one to ususally side with law enforcement, but I happen to agree with most of the callers that this is a sly way for police officers to go "fishing".

#9 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

When was the last time you heard about anyone carrying around a bunch of coke/pot/etc on the seat of their car and getting caught?

#10 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

keep it in Rancho.....if folsom you would get pulled over by a swarm of three police cars...that would pucker anybody

#11 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

This is one of the worst ideas any city can have. Stop me, and I'll be suing for harrassment. If I am driving peacefully and legally, being stopped for driving good is a direct infringement upon my rights of Life, Liberty & the pursuit of Happiness, something that is in our State Constitution. Stopping me to give me 5 bucks is violating my liberty to travel freely and scaring me into "What the h___ did I do now?" is definitely violating my pursuit of happiness. And as someone else posted, if I was to have a heart attack, it really is a violation of my right to Life.
I would rather be Backpacking

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:23 AM

I never, ever understood why this would be a problem. If you aren't doing anything wrong, what is the problem. It will take less than a couple of minutes.

#13 Zoey

Zoey

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

What is this madness!!! I work in Roseville, What about me?? Can someone deliver some hot coffee over here??

#14 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Zoey @ Dec 19 2007, 09:27 AM) View Post
Can someone deliver some hot coffee over here??

No.

(p.s: sorry about your twin Zoey)

[attachment=1537:zoey.jpg]
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#15 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

Yeah, well ever since I heard about this I've been leaving to work extra early. Driving slow-stopping completely, only making legal turns-remembering to have my lights on, everything.

Not a dang cop in sight when I'm actually obeying the law.

Where the heck is my coffee?!!!

I need some caffeine. lmaosmiley.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users