• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 EmpireRanchCyclist

EmpireRanchCyclist

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

We have lived in Empire Ranch for approximately 6 years and during that time we parked one car in the garage (toyota Sienna) at the time and one car on the driveway. We now have two suv's (I know my carbon footprint is large) and cannot phisically park both in the garage. We have a family of 5 which means we have 6 bikes, jogger stroller, stroller, wagon, and bike trailer in the garage on one side and one car on the other. I recieved a notice from the HOA that indicates that the garage is not for storage of personal items it is to be used to park 2 cars. My response was I cannot fit both cars in the garage. They informed me that even if I did not own any cars/trucks/suvs I would still need to keep the garage open to be able to park a car.

Has anyone else come accross this violation, oh and they are threatening $50 per day till I get it resolved!

#2 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:27 AM

Sound more like a Parkway type enforcement.

If ER did enforce this every home would be in violation.

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

Good grief, being told how to live in your own home sucks.

It sounds like you may be screwed by the HOA you became obligated to when you signed your purchase papers.

The only suggestion I can offer is to maybe move some of the stuff into your back yard so you can park another car in the garage at least for now to get around the $50 a day fines.... or maybe consider selling the car that is least used (?)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

This crap is why I refused to even look at homes in The Parkway and only looked at ER homes to see if there was that one perfect one. Luckily, there wasn't. I understand the desire to keep a neighborhood nice, but like all the laws/rules in our country, they get extended to nit-picky annoyances rather than safety and order.

I think your only course of action is to get a storage unit in your backyard to hold all your stuff so you can fit your cars. That said, I know others in ER that are technically in violation of this and haven't heard anything. You must have an arsehat neighbor that is complaining.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#5 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

Oh please. You can't keep stuff in your garage? One of my requirements when buying a house is that IT NOT be part of an HOA.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#6 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Its one thing to have an old beater out in the driveway, a car under repair\on blocks or 2-3 cars in the driveway and another always on the street but thats nuts restricting a house to only ONE car in the drive. Posted Image

#7 EmpireRanchCyclist

EmpireRanchCyclist

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Sound more like a Parkway type enforcement.

If ER did enforce this every home would be in violation.

I would tend to agree that this type of thing would happen in the parkway, I live in the centex homes near Empire Oaks. 90% of my neighbors don't comply. Both of our cars are operational and we use them daily. I will never but a house in a neighborhood that has an HOA again! There is a hearing later this month, we will see how that goes.

#8 EmpireRanchCyclist

EmpireRanchCyclist

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

I did the math, if we parked both SUVs in the garage we would have 16 inches between them at best case.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

dear cyclist, I'm very sorry to hear about that. isn't it a horrible feeling to know that other people can tell you what to do in your own house?! I will never live in an HOA. Our neighborhood is lovely and we can always fall back on the city's own CC&Rs if someone becomes an actual nuisance. Maybe you would like to move somewhere friendlier? Or buy a little tiny smart car that you can park in a tiny little uncluttered part of your garage and tell them you are in compliance. hang in there~!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#10 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

dear cyclist, I'm very sorry to hear about that. isn't it a horrible feeling to know that other people can tell you what to do in your own house?! I will never live in an HOA. Our neighborhood is lovely and we can always fall back on the city's own CC&Rs if someone becomes an actual nuisance. Maybe you would like to move somewhere friendlier? Or buy a little tiny smart car that you can park in a tiny little uncluttered part of your garage and tell them you are in compliance. hang in there~!

Just wanted to clarify something for you. CC&R's are not the city's own restrictions. They are builder/neighborhood/subdivision specific. The only way to enforce CC&R's is by lawsuit. Without a court in Folsom, that puts it at the County Courthouse for jurisdictional purposes. That's my understanding anyway. The city does have Municipal Codes which they do enforce, but CC&R's are not their responsibility.

I do agree with you on not wanting to live in a neighborhood with an HOA, for wahtever reason, HOA's always seem to start developing this NAZI type attitude and control of the neighborhood.

"I'm sorry, that particular shade of yellow isn't approved by your HOA, you have to repaint your house all over again, that will be $100 per day until you comply, Have a nice day" as said by your local Gestapo HOA representative in EDH.

Or the infamous quote from Over The Hedge

Gladys: [On phone] The homeowners charter, which you signed, says the grass is supposed to be two inches, and according to my measuring stick, yours is two-point-five.

I would rather be Backpacking

#11 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

I wonder if CC&R's bother republicans more than democrats, cause democrats like big government. I think if you believe in reincarnation, today's ccr police might have been gestapo in another life.

get a smaller car or move would be the only choice. once you get mad, it destroys the pleasure of every day living.

#12 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Is it because they're both SUV's? I live on a court in the 'new' Parkways and we have a few houses with two cars on the driveway, but both aren't SUV's. I would think there shouldn't be a difference in regards to which type of vehicles they are. I would really comb through the policies and see if there is a restriction on parking vehicles in the driveway. We don't have one that I can remember or recall. That being said, I do appreciate our HOA not allowing people to park their beaters on jackstands in the front yard or allow my wealthy surgeon neighbor the opportunity to park his 24' cabin cruiser on a trailer in his driveway. HOAs, in ideals only, are a good thing. It is when they become too oppressive that they lose their flavor. Why not attend a HOA meeting or run for the board to effect change if the policy is something you don't like?

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Is it because they're both SUV's? I live on a court in the 'new' Parkways and we have a few houses with two cars on the driveway, but both aren't SUV's. I would think there shouldn't be a difference in regards to which type of vehicles they are. I would really comb through the policies and see if there is a restriction on parking vehicles in the driveway. We don't have one that I can remember or recall. That being said, I do appreciate our HOA not allowing people to park their beaters on jackstands in the front yard or allow my wealthy surgeon neighbor the opportunity to park his 24' cabin cruiser on a trailer in his driveway. HOAs, in ideals only, are a good thing. It is when they become too oppressive that they lose their flavor. Why not attend a HOA meeting or run for the board to effect change if the policy is something you don't like?

I would think CC&Rs and city codes should be able to handle both of those things. don't need the HOA, right?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#14 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

I would think CC&Rs and city codes should be able to handle both of those things. don't need the HOA, right?

I think our city muni code might cover both.
I would rather be Backpacking

#15 EmpireRanchCyclist

EmpireRanchCyclist

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Is it because they're both SUV's? I live on a court in the 'new' Parkways and we have a few houses with two cars on the driveway, but both aren't SUV's. I would think there shouldn't be a difference in regards to which type of vehicles they are. I would really comb through the policies and see if there is a restriction on parking vehicles in the driveway. We don't have one that I can remember or
recall. That being said, I do appreciate our HOA not
allowing people to park their beaters on jackstands in the front yard or allow my wealthy surgeon neighbor the opportunity to park his 24' cabin cruiser on a trailer in his
driveway. HOAs, in ideals only, are a good thing. It is when they become too oppressive that they lose their
flavor. Why not attend a HOA meeting or run for the board
to effect change if the policy is something you don't like?

I agree with the intent of the HOA who enforces the cc&rs but when they told me "even if you don't own any cars, your garage must be able to park the number of cars that it was designed for" there is no common sense. I may look into a petition to get this changed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users