It's been a little over a year since I took over myfolsom. Some of what I've learned:
- It's not easy coming up with new stories or angles on old topics
- I'm not a technical whiz
- Most web design folks are terrible at follow through
- Lots of people read but don't post
- I'm having fun!
So, I've watched, learned and listened, and I still have far to go, but I'm ready to make some changes to the look and feel to make it easier to navigate, have more info for visitors and residents alike, such as school info, things to do, events, etc.
I'd like to know what you want out of myfolsom. I asked just over a year ago, and here were some of the responses:
- There are way too many subforums. Make it simple
- Bring back the annual "Best of Folsom
- Maybe a pinned topic where people can post upcoming Folsom events that may not be heavily promoted?
- Can you make it any easier to post photos?
- My biggest draw to the site is local news and information - who are the good contractors and what local shops go above and beyond the call of duty?
- Have some living threads, perhaps FAQ like. Many of the same topics come up again and again; let's capture that tribal knowledge as people come and go.
- Please continue your real estate updates. I like those very much Even more in depth stuff, maybe articles on "flippers", commercial real estate, local builder updates, trends in loans, etc
- City management, schools, venues, Elks/Lions/Kiwanis/VFW or other large public organizations in town are pushing out news, publish it and start discussion on it. Upcoming events, major construction. I know it's a lot of work to put such lists together, and someone else probably already is, see if you can partner and share.
- Mking the site easier to navigate would be helpful. For instance, if I hit the red Tomato Pages button up top, it takes me to ALL the forums (MySacramento, MyRoseville, etc). I am only interested in MyFolsom.
- I still like the idea of getting high school and college kids who want to major in journalism to help develop content for the site, not for money, but for the experience. Articles on events and attractions in the area would be interesting and useful.
I will implement as much of the above as I can. Anything else?