Trip To San Diego

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

We are planning to take  a trip down to San Diego. I was in the Navy for 22 years
and never made it there. Our son loves the place.

When we go we will be staying at the nice hotel on L Street.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we just should not miss while there.

We do plan on taking a whale watching boat trip, possibly go to the
Navy Museum and the Top Gun training base.

We are not planning on renting a vehicle but could if we need to.

Thanks

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

We are planning to take  a trip down to San Diego. I was in the Navy for 22 years
and never made it there. Our son loves the place.

When we go we will be staying at the nice hotel on L Street.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we just should not miss while there.

We do plan on taking a whale watching boat trip, possibly go to the
Navy Museum and the Top Gun training base.

We are not planning on renting a vehicle but could if we need to.

Thanks

I grew up in San Diego.  Since you are retired military,   a trip to the Midway Aircraft Carrier Museum is a definite stop.   Stopping at Cabrillo Light House on Point Loma would be a great stop because you can see all the Military activity on the short trip there and see all of San Diego Harbor from the point.      A stop at Balboa Park would be a good stop.  They have an aerospace museum and other museums.   Many turn of the century building and exhibits.     The San Diego Zoo would be a good stop but I would go to the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park in Escondido.    There are animals walking free and you would appreciate the resources it took to make this happen.    If you visit a beach,  go to La Jolla Shores.   The beach is very clean and the environment is peaceful and kick back.   Other beaches are not as nice but if you cannot make it to La Jolla Shores,  beaches in the North San Diego County would be nice.   I do not know if Del Mar race track is opened yet but if it is and you like horse racing...stopping by would be great.   There is always a very comfortable ocean wind going over the track.   If I think of anything else I will add.   If you go out on a boat,  go deep sea fishing.    When I went in years past I would see whales out there while fishing.

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:45 PM

Tyto Alba, Thanks for the heads up.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#4 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

San Diego has a lot to see, The Maritime Museum by the Midway is worth seeing, They have a US and a Soviet submarine to tour, If you plan on going to the Zoo pre-plan what you want to see, It's huge and would take a couple of days to see everything. Balboa park is nice, The Aerospace museum is impressive they also have a neat auto museum close by. Coronado island is scenic with nice beaches, Just don't go too far south past the Hotels unless feel like getting yelled at by a Navy SEAL. 

Thanks for the info.  I don't mind the Navy SEALS. I have met a few of them.

#5 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

You Sir would like the Aviation Museum down there...!   Also the National Cemetery up on the bluff is very cool as I have heard.   Zoo is awesome...!   Sea World too.   Don't forget to visit La Jolla.   If you are into golf check out Torrey Pines.   Regards

1A - 2A = -1A

#6 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

I would see the Zoo and other sites in Balboa Park. It is really stunning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users