9 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:26 AM

There are posts all over the internet this week instructing society to not thank veterans on Memorial Day because Memorial Day honors those who have died serving our country and Veteran's Day honors those who lived.

I think Memorial Day reminds us of the sacrifices those who serve our country make and the risks they take, and if in considering those sacrifices and risks one is moved to thank a veteran, is that a bad thing?

Okay, we'll thank them again on Veterans Day. Is this really a problem?

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

There is never a day when it's ok for anyone to say to not thank a veteran. What's wrong with these people?

Svzr2FS.jpg

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

What's wrong with these people?

These types of people make a list of grievances as soon as they wake up in the morning. This thread is not in the politics section, so I can't go into detail. Suffice it to say that deep down, I think they secretly hate America and it's military, and take every chance they get to get their "revenge". Just my opinion, guided by experience. Have a great Memorial Day weekend, folks.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

I get the whole "appreciate" the survivors/next of kin for Memorial Day. I get that the few remaining survivors of WWII should be thanked. Same with the Vietnam and Later. 

I think there is (unconcious?) attempt to draw more attention to the vets of WWII than the vets of Vietnam [living and deceased]. Maybe that is just a sensitive button from the way I grew up. 

What I don't get - is why the families of all those people who have died in the line of duty- are not celebrated.

Those families who have toughed out the years of sacrifices as a military family - and then had to tough out years with the significant loss of that person. Oftentimes the sole or main bread winner. Oftentimes leaving behind children who didnt get to grow up with that parent or parents who don't have a child to help them in their golden years.

Yeah, I think the message Deb is reporting is scurrilous (It makes me grit my teeth). I also think we need one less Vet day in exchange for a survivor day. Those who were left behind and carry on the torch. 

I'm not trying to take away from the vets who served or get into an argument of a separate day for the vets vs the deceased. 

I just think if we (as a Nation) focused more on the reasons why we (Vets) served - then maybe we (society) would be a little less self serving and entitled- and a little more appreciative of the acts of all the people who are involved in keeping this nation safe and running.

Because when I came home- angry and bitter that a good friend died-it wasn't anything anyone in the military who fixed that anger. It was a child who looked at me and called me a hero- and funny thing- I thought he was for keeping the family running while I was gone.

So when those people step out and are naysayers against something like military appreciation day or veterans day or military child appreciation day or memorial day or DDay or holocaust day, D Nang Day, or .... I just try my best to understand their point of view. Maybe they felt like they weren't being shown appreciation for the sacrifices they have made for their Nation/State/Community. And I don't ask-because I don't want to be disappointed in why they would take away from someone who has.

I may question at times why someone had to die for their country, but I wont question that Vet's dedication on memorial day. 

On Constitution Day they can question why-- I think it is important to actively seek peaceful solutions and protest needless blood shed

On Memorial day they can commemorate those who did. Because this is what soldiers do:

http://www.poemhunte...ight-brigade-2/

'Forward, the Light Brigade! ' 
Was there a man dismay'd? 
Not tho' the soldier knew 
Some one had blunder'd: 
Their's not to make reply, 
Their's not to reason why, 
Their's but to do and die: 
Into the valley of Death 
Rode the six hundred. 

I saw Vets at Walmart yesterday- selling Red Poppies. I went inside and bought a soda, got $20 cash back. I gave it to the vets fundraiser.  I will proudly display my Poppy tomorrow. I won't care much for the criticisms of others.  If you want to learn more about the significance of the Red Poppy- [post='http://www.greatwar....rance-poppy.htm']go here[/post]

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

by John McCrae, May 1915

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

It is all about those that made the Ultimate Sacrifice that we honor.

THANKS!!!!!

Memorial Day 2015

As we near the coming holiday weekend, it is important for everyone to
remember that the purpose of the holiday is to remember and honor those who
made the ultimate sacrifice in support of our nation.  It's nice to have
picnics, barbecues, and fun days with the family, but we should never forget
the real reason for the holiday.

It's been around for a while, and politics aside, this video is probably one
of the best "reminders" I've seen in a long time.

Everyone be safe this weekend, and do enjoy the time with your families and
friends as we near the summer vacation season.

Bill Hickey
Executive Director, NCVA

http://www.youtube.c...yer_detailpage

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

There is always a heartwarming service at the lakeside cemetery Memorial Day, complete with a 21-gun salute.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

There is always a heartwarming service at the lakeside cemetery Memorial Day, complete with a 21-gun salute.

Folsom Veterans Memorial Day Services start at 11:00 AM at Lakeside Cemetery.

1201 Forrest Street, Folsom.

The public is welcome to join in paying tribute to deceased veterans.

They always have a great service and like said earlier a 21 gun salute.

If you plan to go get there early.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#8 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

The History of Memorial Day

Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans — the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) — established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.

The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.

The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, presided over the ceremonies. After speeches, children from the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home and members of the GAR made their way through the cemetery, strewing flowers on both Union and Confederate graves, reciting prayers and singing hymns.

http://www.military.com/memorial-day/

Also check out the Military.com website...

http://www.military.com/

#9 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

This is quite long, but remember this is Memorial Day.

When a Soldier's Life Ends, the Job of Another Soldier Begins

Even before Army Master Sgt. Anthony Link could deliver the dreaded knock on the door, he heard a woman inside shout out in despair.

"No," cried Talisa Williams, who pulled up a window curtain and saw the men in their dress uniforms. "My baby. Not my baby."

It was shortly after 5 a.m., July 8, 2012. Standing outside the Brooksville home of Talisa and Clarence Williams Jr., Link, who was with an Army chaplain, steeled himself for the difficult assignment. He was there to tell the couple that their son, Clarence Williams III, a young man of deep faith, love of country and a burning desire to be a soldier like his dad, had been killed in Afghanistan.

Link had served as an Army Casualty Notification Officer many times before, informing several families that a loved one had been killed in action. But each experience brings new challenges, Links says. New sorrows.

Confident that he knew what he'd say, Link says he thought about his oldest child to make sure he'd know how to say it.

"My daughter is about a year younger than this soldier who was killed in Afghanistan," he remembers. "All I could think of was what if that was my daughter? What kind of help would I need?"

http://www.military....23317843&rank=2

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

I love The Navy Hymn

Eternal Father Strong to Save

Country Current - Navy's Bluegrass Band

Military Wives

USNA Men's Glee Club on the Arizona Memorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQOzUqdOVDU

Dallas Adult Christian Choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZk1n9C070s

My favorite version - reminds me just how small we are, and how powerful
Mother Nature can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlXmuYuAYc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users