15 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Just got my two newer car registration renewals in the past 2 weeks, one is for $550 and the other for $425.......!    Way, way, way more than before....!   Thank you for that Moonbeam and democrats down under the dome...!   You are killing me....!    Oh, and hear more talk of them trying to get around prop 13....!   Yep, I could use another $4000 a year added to my property taxes....!   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

Yeah. Nearly ALL other states have a flat 32.00 rate (or thereabouts) and SOMEHOW, they manage to collect enough money to serve the business of car registration.  Before the current jumps, I had a 15 year old truck that I was STILL paying almost 200 a year to register. What a load of crap. Then again, CHP is financed from registration fees and 70% of those "public servants" are retiring on tax free "Disability retirement".

Once again, CA leads the nation in highest annual cost to own a car. Yay!, We're number one! 6400 dollars more over 3 years than the lowest cost (New Hampshire).

SACRAMENTO – Fifty-five of the 65 high-ranking officers who retired from the California Highway Patrol since 2000 filed workers’ compensation claims within two years, entitling them to lucrative disability settlements and medical pensions with tax-free income.

The practice is so widespread among the roughly 150 CHP chiefs and captains that rank-and-file officers have dubbed it “chief’s disease,” boosting costs in a department that pays the highest rate in state government for injuries and medical pensions.

The payments are in addition to routine pension benefits that let CHP officers retire at age 50 with up to 90 percent of their pay.

Nearly 70 percent of CHP officers retire on disability, and the department pays among the highest percentage of workplace injury claims, The Sacramento Bee found. The combination cost taxpayers $75 million two years ago.

“It turns out we need to be policing the police,” said state Sen. Jackie Speier, D-Daly City, chairwoman of the Select Committee on Government Oversight.

CHP Commissioner D.O. Helmick, who is being nudged into retirement next week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, has asked the Public Employees’ Retirement System to determine if he, too, should be granted a disability pension because of injuries from vehicle accidents in the 1970s and 1980s, said spokesman Tom Marshall.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:08 PM

Yes, just go for "disabled" and you get medical for life, your spouse too, and tax free retirement usually in the six figures...  Go figure.....   Me, well I don't think I can ever retire because I have to pay these guys to golf every other day at about 50 to 55.   Sad thing is that I am older than 55 and get no breaks in the private industry.....   I have to pay my own medical and can't retire on full benefits until age 67....   Yea, right, most people are done physically or dead by then....    The world is upside down.  Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#4 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

California DMV is my most hated part of our government. They determine the registration and license fees by how much your car is worth, causing many to buy old classic cars, which pollute because they don't have to have smog equipment. How much sense does that make? It's another good example of how liberal thinking and liberal leaders create a problem, while touting they are solving one.

My brother, who lives in another state, pays the flat rate Joe is talking about. We have a two cars and the newest is over five years old. Why should we buy another car when the ones we have run fine and a newer one would just cost us more in license and registration fees, plus cost more to insure?

Let's just say it.....California's leaders are corrupt as hell!  They have lied to California voters as long as I can remember.

I was raised by Democrat parents and believe me, it was an eye opener! They never saved a dime, run from bill collectors and lived from paycheck to paycheck. So uneducated were my parents that when I ask what the difference was between Republicans and Democrats, they told me that the Democrats fought for the poor and the Republicans fought for the rich. Can you believe that???

And of course, the guy who owned his own business was a greedy so and so, who had gotten where he was by cheating people!

So I know all about the way liberals think. And it's very sad. By the way, my parents had no education and worked at low paying jobs...the perfect slaves of the Democratic party.

#5 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

If anyone is willing to listen, there is actually a different reason that DMV fees are so high, and it has nothing to do with corruption, liberals, or crazy goings-on in government.

I have a neighbor who works in a leadership position in DMV.  He says that state government has directed DMV to maintain high registration fees for a single reason.  The reason results from one substantial problem in California - too many cars.  He said there are more cars registered in California than there are people (men, women, children, infants) in California.  The state is trying to create incentives to reduce the number of vehicles on our roads.  One part of those incentives is high registration fees.  It's the same strategy that is being used to reduce smoking.  You make cigarettes so expensive that people will quit because they can't afford them. 

There are other parts of the strategy that you will love - higher gasoline taxes, more toll roads, and anything that makes driving your car more expensive. If anyone spends time driving in the bay area or in SoCal, there should be no doubt we have a problem.  Be thankful that you can afford the fees.  Some people can't.  

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

yeah, government creates the problem of not enough roads/highways. Then says, "we must push for public transportation" and then social engineer people to get rid of their independence, er cars. Just one example: Father in law tells how CalTrans had 3 proposed freeway corridors linking 50 and 80. land was already purchased. Gov Brown (the first time ) killed the projects.

Your reasoning about cars per capita is silly.  Ca ranks 32nd in cars per capita.  Give it a few more years here and you will understand what a disaster CA is becoming.  CA politicians only want one thing...more money to distribute to their cronies.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#7 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

yeah, government creates the problem of not enough roads/highways. Then says, "we must push for public transportation" and then social engineer people to get rid of their independence, er cars. Just one example: Father in law tells how CalTrans had 3 proposed freeway corridors linking 50 and 80. land was already purchased. Gov Brown (the first time ) killed the projects.

Your reasoning about cars per capita is silly.  Ca ranks 32nd in cars per capita.  Give it a few more years here and you will understand what a disaster CA is becoming.  CA politicians only want one thing...more money to distribute to their cronies.

As the world becomes more populated, more regulations will be required to maintain order.  It's inevitable. Making driving expensive to reduce the number of cars on the highway is reasonable.  The strategy is nothing new.   Why do you think a ticket to Disneyland costs $117?  It's how they control the crowd size.  On high demand days, the ticket price goes to $135.  It'll work the same on the freeways.

And your statement about most states having flat DMV fees is not correct.  Here's the breakdown:

Fee Type                        Number of States

Flat Rate                                      25

Weight Based                              14

Value Based                                  7

Age Based                                    3

Other                                             1

#8 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Who Do....your logic and second hand information is waaaaaaay off!

California gave illegal aliens, (a term I use because I know you hate it!)  :laughcry: 

the right to get drivers license! That means more drivers on the roads!  How do you explain this in your theory of higher DMV fees?

You can't. As usual with your flawed logic.

Disneyland doesn't raise the price on their tickets because of the number of customers on any given day, except for the fact that weekends are more favored by visitors and Disneyland takes advantage of that fact by raising ticket prices on those days. Prices are decided by what the market will bear, not how many customers they will have to manage. I've not noticed Disneyland being concerned about the long lines one must stand in to get on a ride. I've been there when people are shoulder to shoulder and you can hardly walk faster than a snail, to get where you want to go.

#9 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

Only 7 do value based taxation, AND CA charges a hugw sales tax on cars whether they are bought here or not.  Face it< CA sucks at governance. By your logic, we should try to get people to stop using electricity because there are more and more people instead of just creating more electricity

#10 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

Who Do....your logic and second hand information is waaaaaaay off!  Rose - you're funny!

California gave illegal aliens, (a term I use because I know you hate it!)  :laughcry:  I don't hate it.  I don't think people should be here under an illegal status.  So I think just like you.  Amazing, huh?

the right to get drivers license! That means more drivers on the roads!  How do you explain this in your theory of higher DMV fees?

You can't. As usual with your flawed logic.  Having a driver's license and owning a car are two different things.  A concept you seem to have overlooked.  Calif has about 14.5M registered vehicles, and has issued about 26.2M driver's licenses.  You should check your facts before you post something here.

Disneyland doesn't raise the price on their tickets because of the number of customers on any given day, except for the fact that weekends are more favored by visitors and Disneyland takes advantage of that fact by raising ticket prices on those days. Prices are decided by what the market will bear, not how many customers they will have to manage. I've not noticed Disneyland being concerned about the long lines one must stand in to get on a ride. I've been there when people are shoulder to shoulder and you can hardly walk faster than a snail, to get where you want to go.  I'm not sure you understand pricing strategies that well in business.  Yes, when something is popular, companies raise prices.  Follows the rules of supply and demand.  But Disney has another problem.  Last summer, they had to close their gate to admissions before noon on 13 different days.  Too many people were trying to get in.  There was no room, particularly from a safety perspective.  The occupancy at Disneyland is limited to a set number by Anaheim City Code.  Once that number is reached, the gates must be closed.  It's the law.  So rather than close the gates in front of people, which really makes them mad, this year they just raised prices to reduce the number of people who will try to visit the parks.  Simple approach, always works.  They have a price strategy for next year that is even more restrictive.  

BTW - most public places have limits on occupancy.  I was in In-n-Out Burger the other night.  Even they post the occupancy limit on a sign in the building.

#11 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Only 7 do value based taxation, AND CA charges a hugw sales tax on cars whether they are bought here or not.  Face it< CA sucks at governance. By your logic, we should try to get people to stop using electricity because there are more and more people instead of just creating more electricity

Joe good example.  California already has the lowest electricity use per capita in the nation.  We've already done what you just suggested.   Here's the data:

http://www.energy.ca...lectricity.html

#12 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

No, people should STOP using electricity, and then we'll all be in that optimal utopia that all you radical leftists seek, even though it's an impossibility. How did you people become so brainwashed?

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

and you prove my point. Don't social engineer my electrical or driving usage! Get the f out of my business! If we need more energy, build more capacity, if we need more roads, build more roads.  Want to know how to reduce cars on the road without gouging the taxpayer? Don't give illegals licenses. Or even better, make driving tests really hard. Another idea would be to slap immediate vehicle confiscation if the drive rwas uninsured. That alone would get rid of about 15% of the drivers on the road in CA...Hope you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

#14 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:41 PM

and you prove my point. Don't social engineer my electrical or driving usage! Get the f out of my business! If we need more energy, build more capacity, if we need more roads, build more roads. Joe - those words come out of one side of your mouth, and from the other side you complain about excessive taxation.  How do you propose those new roads be paid for?  On the open plain, an interstate highway costs about $1.5M per mile.  Not cheap.  I read that just extending the carpool lane from Watt Ave to downtown is going to cost $110M.  Should we just make everything a toll road so the people who actually use them will have to pay for them?  Ya can't both it both ways.  Unlimited freeways but no taxation to pay for them. Want to know how to reduce cars on the road without gouging the taxpayer? Don't give illegals licenses. Or even better, make driving tests really hard. Another idea would be to slap immediate vehicle confiscation if the drive rwas uninsured. That alone would get rid of about 15% of the drivers on the road in CA...Hope you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

#15 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

I just wanted to tell everybody that everything with our state and cities are going to be great!  Why? Because of the brilliant way our problems are being solved by the states leaders. Below is a link to the wonderful idea that officials came up with to help tired workers who wait for a bus.

https://www.sacbee.c...e212834799.html

Of course, if you want to get off your feet, this new leaning bench won't help much. But, the homeless can't lay or sit on it!  See how great that is? They solved the problem of homeless people sitting or sleeping on bus benches! AND, an added bonus for the city....it cost less to install these leaning benches than regular ones!  (extremely sarcastic)

Oh, and dear Who_Do.....why not institute that limited occupancy rule for the state of California?  I'll tell you why. All liberals care about is getting as many needy people into our state so they can add to their voting base. And then they thank their stupid followers with 'leaning benches'!  They played it up as a wonderful thing in the Sacramento Bee, but it was plain this would do little for the weary worker who probably has to walk several blocks to get to a bus stop, after working all day.

Those who say they don't care what they do in Sacramento....wait for it.  Folsom is still in Sacramento County and will follow suit eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users