123 replies to this topic

#1 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:57 AM

We have sooooo many new parents with infants, so this topic is for them. Post any questions, concerns, pictures, sharing of ideas, etc. here . thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#2 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:29 AM

My online opportunity to say thank you to my mother-in-law . She's one incredible lady without whose help we will have a very rough time adjusting to the new life. smile.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif

#3 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

At what age (year or month) babies are going to start to smile? Mine is having those smiley expressions but I don't think he is doing it for real. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#4 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Aug 26 2005, 05:26 AM)
At what age (year or month) babies are going to start to smile?  Mine is having those smiley expressions but I don't think he is doing it for real.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

View Post

Funny you ask...
We kept calling Dean "Mr. Serious" because he wouldn't smile for the longest time...I have heard as early as a few weeks they will start to smile on purpose, but Dean didn't start until abput 7-8 weeks. Alot of times babies will smile when they are sleeping (which Dean would do all the time) and the Dr. said that they feel content and comfort when they do that(don't know if it's true).

#5 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

For my son, he started to smile on the 2nd day of his life.

#6 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

Cyber:
It is generally held that those newborn smiles are not the same as the one you will get 4-6 months from now. As I'm sure you've noticed, a newborn's nervous system is still somewhat undeveloped, thus all the jerky movements and reflexes.

Additionally, a newborn's eyesight is poor. So he is probably not smiling at the sight of Daddy's lovely face!.....But, keep talking to and smiling at Christopher, telling yourself that all those smiles are meant just for you. Very soon they will be!! (This is part of that bonding process that you've probably heard about.)

BTW - Pls. PM me about getting those books from me. -- Hugs to Christopher!

#7 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

forumreader's post reminded me of something...

When Dean was a few weeks old he was constantly twitching his legs...it was the weirdest thing...so I was trying not to be "paranoid-mom" as this was my second child...but after about 2 weeks I finally called the Dr. They had me come in and gave him a thorough check over. All was fine, I was just reminded that the nerves in his system are constantly "firing-off" and creating the twitch...

Anyways...don't get freaked out like me!

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:57 AM

My wifey is already freaked out! At anything that Chris does!!!! We had to go to the emergency last Saturday for NOTHING. The baby stressed her out for nothing. She finally gets some sleep because I have to interfere with the situation.

#9 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Aug 26 2005, 09:57 AM)
My wifey is already freaked out!  At anything that Chris does!!!!  We had to go to the emergency last Saturday for NOTHING.  The baby stressed her out for nothing.  She finally gets some sleep because I have to interfere with the situation.

View Post

I was just telling Erika...you are ALWAYS gonna be super nervous with the first...if she knows anyone that has recently had a baby, ask them before you get too stressed out...I'm always here to answer questions...as I am sure all the BTDT parents are.

#10 OceanGirl

OceanGirl

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:The ocean, boogie boarding, biking, martial arts, camping, hiking, skiing- pretty much anything outdoors, family, pets

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

Yeah- I remember that we were WAY more stressed with our first than with our second (6 months on Sunday!!). blink.gif

Our son (now 3 1/2) would sneeze or cough and we'd bring out the thermometer and check it out immediately!! Now, our daughter coughs or sneezes and we think.....oh, no runny nose, doesn't feel hot.......no big deal, just keep an eye on her. We also jumped more at crying with our son......you learn it's pretty normal and how to differentiate a distress cry from an "I'm bored" cry...........I wonder if that is why, in general, subsequent children are more mellow than the first?!! cool.gif
I like to reminisce with people I don't know
~Steven Wright~

http://www.waterfallswest.com

#11 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:16 AM

One of our clients was telling me that with their first, they had the mother-in-law come over and where a mask. They didn't want to expose the baby to any germs. smile.gif I think they now have many, many more kids and didn't do that again.

This is fun to read. What other crazy stories do people have? I've heard of a lot of parent's going to emergency for nothing.

#12 Mommy2Sydni

Mommy2Sydni

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:31 AM

Here's a story that may help down the road...

With Sydni (now 4yo) she was having MAJOR eating problems. We tried every formula...even Nutramigen which is NASTY...but she was still crying all the time. Her Dr. said that it *could* be colic...but he really didn't think so. Then the spit-up started...she was like something out of poltergeist! I mean...it was projectile. So the Dr. diagnosed her with Reflux and sent us to a Ped. GI. After a few weeks on the meds, she was great.

Now with Dean...he was fussy but had no spit-up...so I was at a loss. I knew it wasn't colic b/c it was fussiness all the time, especially while eating. I took him to his Dr and asked about Reflux, he agreed. He also said that for years people have been diagnosing *colic* when in actuality it is reflux. Every baby is different...some spit-up and some don't...the ones that don't were told it was colic. After just 2 days on Zantac...my Dean-O is happy as a clam!

#13 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(Mommy2Sydni @ Aug 26 2005, 12:31 PM)
Then the spit-up started...she was like something out of poltergeist!  I mean...it was projectile. 

View Post

I've been there. My daughter would empty her stomach on to me pretty routinely! this picture doesn't do it justice, you should have seen the couch!

#14 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(john @ Aug 26 2005, 12:03 PM)
I've been there. My daughter would empty her stomach on to me pretty routinely! this picture doesn't do it justice, you should have seen the couch!

View Post

That's a lot for such a little person! Oh boy...what do we have coming. smile.gif

#15 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(cybertrano @ Aug 26 2005, 07:15 AM)
For my son, he started to smile on the 2nd day of his life.

View Post

That's just gas
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users