Photo
- - - - -

Is Rancho Still Considered A Rough Area?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Oldschooler81 @ Jun 6 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it's partly nostalgia and just curiosity to see how things progressed from when I was a kid (checking out the similarities AND the differences is pretty cool). smile.gif

It cracks me up that you think the 90s are nostalgic lmaosmiley.gif

#17 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Jun 6 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It cracks me up that you think the 90s are nostalgic lmaosmiley.gif

LOL, yeah it's still pretty recent in the grand scheme of things. I guess I miss it so much because there wasn't alot of innovation and modernization in the 90s, so alot of "older stuff" still around from years earlier rubbed off on me too. Alot of it has now gone away which is depressing.

Plus people were alot younger, so that can make the world seem different.

I think anything before 9-11 feels like "a long time ago". It freaks me out enough that the 80s are another era...pretty soon NO PART of my youth will be close!

#18 croxfordFiles

croxfordFiles

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Family, Baking, History, Reading, Education, Ethnic Foods, The Great Outdoors, Walking, Political activism, Travelling

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

There are parts that are in desperate need of help. The problem is that the areas that need nice people to move in, are so unappealing that the nice people are moving away.
If people would take some pride in their city, in their home, and do their part to fix up what they can, it would attract stable, working families.

My husband & I were interested in renting a home in a not so great area. It was cheap and needed some TLC (as does the rest of the block) but we thought "hey, maybe if we move in & fix it up, the neighbors would want to do the same" (hey, I am a glass is half FULL kind of gal) but the owners wouldn't be bothered to fix a broken gate or window in back.
All you have to do is put a teeny bit of effort into your community and you would be surprised at how a few people can turn it around.
Look at Oak Park- yes, parts are still bad, but it is really starting to become a mecca for young people to start their lives. It's got a whole art scene going on & thriving local businesses now.
That's what we need HERE.
We need to stop focusing so much on the gated communities & the NEW parks and start cleaning up the rough areas.
/end rant =)

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I think a lot probably has to do with rent vs own... I have found that when you have a lot of homes that are owner-occupied, the place generally is well kept. If the neighborhood has a lot of renters, you are at the mercy of the house owner to keep it looking nice. Some renters will not respect their dwellings, and some owners only care about collecting rent.

I can't speak for Rancho per se but my guess is that when owner-occupancy goes up, so does the appeal of the neighborhoods.

#20 Wjanel

Wjanel

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

When I drive through at area I *gasp* see minorities and they are *gasp* walking instead of driving.

Does that make it rough? I doubt it. Could it be rough anyway? Maybe.

Rancho has improved greatly in the last 10 years that I've lived here, but it seems to have more than its fair share of abandoned buildings and run down complexes. But parts (much?) of it is very nice.

#21 Wjanel

Wjanel

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

I would agree. Most of our businesses are Mexican taquerias, an Indian market, an Asian market, and three Mexican clothing stores I can think of. There are two Russian bakeries, and another three Mexican markets. I do believe there is an Asian owned cellular store and what looks like a Hispanically owned cellular store as well. Our vacant strip malls are no less empty than Folsom where my boyfriend lives. Oh and don't forget the amount of money the Russians, Albanians, Ukrainians and the like put into our grocery stores, spending hundreds of dollars daily on elaborate floral displays. They also drop hundreds on high quality meat and load up on sale items.
I love living in the melting pot of Rancho Cordova, a term America was born from so many immigrants coming to Ellis Island. Since when does diversity equal ghetto or a rough neighborhood?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users