#16 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 10 2008, 09:20 AM) View Post
I dislike big cities. After spending another few days in SF, I'm convinced I'm not "city folk"

ditto
I would rather be Backpacking

#17 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 10 2008, 09:20 AM) View Post
I dislike big cities. After spending another few days in SF, I'm convinced I'm not "city folk"

I still haven't made it to SF and if Sacramento sometimes grosses me out I can imagine what SF is like.

#18 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Dec 10 2008, 09:21 AM) View Post
That surprises me, I thought you would rather live in the hills where you could go dirt bike riding right out your backyard everyday, or 4 wheeling, etc. I never would have expected you to be a city slicker type.

I like both equally... I grew up on acreage and I do love it. Not a city slicker at all. I just like Midtown/Downtown areas.

#19 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(Gaelic925 @ Dec 10 2008, 09:22 AM) View Post
I still haven't made it to SF and if Sacramento sometimes grosses me out I can imagine what SF is like.

You might be surprised that it's worse than you can imagine.

#20 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(stevethedad @ Dec 10 2008, 09:21 AM) View Post
While I love Folsom, and like Sac, I'd like to know by what criteria you are judging SF to be among the worst areas in the state.

San Francisco is a beatiful city, with great history, culture, food, music, restaurants, parks, museums and public events nearly every weekend. Like any major city, it's got its problems, but it is a great place to live or visit.

I hope to have a condo or something there some day.

I love SF as well. If you get out of the touristy areas it really is a great place....

#21 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Dec 10 2008, 09:27 AM) View Post
I like both equally... I grew up on acreage and I do love it. Not a city slicker at all. I just like Midtown/Downtown areas.

OK, I like downtown areas of small quaint old little towns, I do not like downtown areas of large skyscraper like places. I've wandered the streets of Manhattan, and while I can enjoy a visit, it absolutely is one of the last places in the USA I would want to live.

#22 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

While I love Folsom, and like Sac, I'd like to know by what criteria you are judging SF to be among the worst areas in the state.

San Francisco is a beatiful city, with great history, culture, food, music, restaurants, parks, museums and public events nearly every weekend. Like any major city, it's got its problems, but it is a great place to live or visit.

1. Weather = horrible
2. Traffic = unbearable
3. Politics = ridiculous
4. Local Gov't = intrusive
5. Cost of Living = ludicrous

#23 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

I agree while I don't agree with the overwhelming political climate of the city, S.F. is extremely beautiful in terms of the landscape, skyline, architecture and geography. I wouldn't want to live there but it's always a treat to go visit for the day. Also I have a soft side for Los Angeles & the artsy city of Pasadena. Money no object I would hands down live in historic Pasadena specifically the Orange Grove area. Los Angeles in general is such a neat place to visit as each small town and city within is an entirely different culture and experience. You could literally never run out of things to do in L.A. With that said my favorite city in the U.S. and one that blows Folsom away is Austin Texas, I would be living there again if it weren't for the defined Northern California seasons and weather. Matter fact IMO you could visit Austin and if it weren't for the Texas flags on every block you would swear you were in an identical area similar to the landscape & geography from Folsom to Placerville only with a city in the middle, especially the Lake Travis area.

-Ryan
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#24 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Suburban Pool Service @ Dec 10 2008, 09:42 AM) View Post
I agree while I don't agree with the overwhelming political climate of the city, S.F. is extremely beautiful in terms of the landscape, skyline, architecture and geography. I wouldn't want to live there but it's always a treat to go visit for the day. Also I have a soft side for Los Angeles & the artsy city of Pasadena. Money no object I would hands down live in historic Pasadena specifically the Orange Grove area. Los Angeles in general is such a neat place to visit as each small town and city within is an entirely different culture and experience. You could literally never run out of things to do in L.A. With that said my favorite city in the U.S. and one that blows Folsom away is Austin Texas, I would be living there again if it weren't for the defined Northern California seasons and weather. Matter fact IMO you could visit Austin and if it weren't for the Texas flags on every block you would swear you were in an identical area similar to the landscape & geography from Folsom to Placerville only with a city in the middle, especially the Lake Travis area.

-Ryan

One step outside and I would know I wasn't in CA.

Humidity, UGH!!!

#25 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:02 AM

And as fas as skylines go, I see skyscrapers and think "ugly wart or blemish on the planet".

Snow capped mountains make a pretty skyline

#26 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 10 2008, 09:10 AM) View Post
Rusted and/or damaged and decaying infrastructure, a run down building, traffic, smog, fat people, a liquor store, endless construction, urban sprawl, a homeless guy, more traffic...

Tell me how these pics don't PROVE Sacramento Sucks smile.gif

Thanks for beating me to this post. If I would have been first there would have been heck to pay.

While the quality of the photos is fantastic, traffic jams, an empty Old Sac, and street performers looking for handouts don't exactly say "Come to Sacramento!"
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#27 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

San Francisco has good food, I'll give it that. The other thing that shocks me is the behaviour of women in "the city". The lack of the cougar attitude is startling.

Personally I'd rather move further up the hill, but Folsom is a good compromise within range of employment.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#28 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(mylo @ Dec 10 2008, 09:10 AM) View Post
Rusted and/or damaged and decaying infrastructure, a run down building, traffic, smog, fat people, a liquor store, endless construction, urban sprawl, a homeless guy, more traffic...

Tell me how these pics don't PROVE Sacramento Sucks smile.gif

It's a lot better than SF or LA or SD. In those cities the photographer would have been mugged and his camera (and a lot more) stolen.

#29 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

As someone who grew up in the Bay Area and has extensive experience living both there and in Sacramento, and for the last 10 years Folsom.....While it may be a case of beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I cringe to even think of people comparing Sacramento to San Francisco. Not even close. San Francisco is absolutely amazing. For a big city it is very clean (been to New York?) has beautiful architecture, great weather, ocean, some of the best restaurants in the world, and CULTURE. Opera, world class theater and ballet, grand hotels and shopping that offers incredible options. I walked the streets of San Francisco and took BART and A/C transit daily as a child (10-18 yrs of age) and was never afraid for my life. While working at the Capitol a couple of years ago I attempted to take Light Rail from Folsom to Downtown.......Terrifying experience, I gave up and started driving for safety reasons ( although I am told Light Rail has gotten MUCH better since then).
Anywho, I am with Steve...... would that I could afford it....I would LOVE to move back down there or at least have a nice condo to stay in.

#30 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I grew up in the burbs of Phoenix... Went to college in the Rust Belt... I spent about 5 years in the high desert in my first job... I really love it here. Not just Folsom but the whole area. It's the first place I've lived that I think I could be happy here forever. When my company packs up and moves to Camden (which is sure to happen eventually) I think I'll try to stay somehow. I think if you grew up here or the Bay Area you don't know how good you have it.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users