18 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

I walk every week with a friend for exercise from old Folsom up to Folsom Lake. We go early, before 8 am and walk at a brisk pace for about 1.5 hours. It's important to me for my health. My friend yesterday told me she had read an article in the Bee that walkers are supposed to walk in the lane facing oncoming traffic and when the side of the path is wide enough to walk off the edge of the trail. So we set out to do that.

As we were walking back, there is an uphill section with thick blackberries on both side of the trail and less than one foot of dirt off the edge of the pavement. As we walked in the lane facing bike traffic, a woman came riding towards us and refused to cross into the opposite lane to go around us. She forced us to jump out of her path and she yelled, "did you read the article??" as she passed. I shouted back, "yes, it said to face traffic." She yelled back, "get in the dirt.". There was no dirt there.

I know Eppies is this weekend and people are nuts about getting ready, but come on. This is getting out of hand. Are we now to say that all the paved paths in the state park belong strictly to bike riders and pedestrians have no right to walk on it? That's not right. In my opinion, those are shared trails. Families and the elderly should be able to walk on the paths and enjoy the park. If someone is that serious about wanting a sports training sort of bike workout, they have made special lanes for them on all of our streets. They can go there.

The idea that walkers should have to immediately get in the dirt is impractical. There are many places where there is either no dirt path, or a one foot-width covered in star thistle or black berry, or actual cobbles. Tall grass next to these little narrow sections could also have rattlesnakes for half the year. Not only that, but I had a major hip injury a few years back that makes it painful for me to walk on uneven dirt trails.

I think state parks needs to make it clear that the trails are meant to be shared and that pedestrians are not second class users. It's getting to the point in the last year or so that elderly people are no longer on the trail because they fear the riders. Is any one else feeling this way?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 19 2008, 09:24 AM) View Post
Are we now to say that all the paved paths in the state park belong strictly to bike riders and pedestrians have no right to walk on it? That's not right. In my opinion, those are shared trails. Families and the elderly should be able to walk on the paths and enjoy the park. If someone is that serious about wanting a sports training sort of bike workout, they have made special lanes for them on all of our streets. They can go there.

The idea that walks should have to immediately get in the dirt is impractical.

I think state parks needs to make it clear that the trails are meant to be shared and that pedestrians are not second class users. It's getting to the point in the last year or so that elderly people are no longer on the trail because they fear the riders. Is any one else feeling this way?

So many bicyclists are here are extremely rude and these ubber racing/training bikers need to get OFF the trails and onto the streets where it is much better suited to ride at blazing fast speeds without pedestrians needing to make a flying leap into the bushes to keep from getting run over

I'm personally tired of the bicyclists being so dam rude and taking over the trails, one of these days I'm going to be seriously tempted to shove a branch in their spokes as they ride by - its very frustrating

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#3 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

We live along that trail and so a couple of years ago we had family visiting and the kids all wanted to go and see the lake. These were all little ones about 5 or 6 and younger. It was just at the time when all the caterpillars were out and crossing the trail. We told the kids to stay to one side because of the bikers, which were going very fast and getting mad at us. Well it was hard for the kids to stay to one side because of all the bugs out, they were having a great time exploring but the bikers just kept getting mad.

Isn't there a posted speed limit on the trails of 15 mph? These guys were going much faster than that.

I thought pedestrians had the right away? Also how can you walk on the edge there is so much poison oak down there?

Some (not all) bikers are just rude and don't obey the rules of the trail or the road.

If you want to ride fast go on the road like a car!

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

I believe we are supposed to share the trails. I'm pretty sure there is a speed limit for the bicylists. I do my best to stay out of their way, but I've faced the dilemma you have, too, 4thgen. I've decided there is no way I'm walking in rattlesnake land or stickers so some Lance Armstrong wannabe can pretend they are in the Tour de France. They can just get over it.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(ducky @ Jul 19 2008, 12:54 PM) View Post
I believe we are supposed to share the trails. I'm pretty sure there is a speed limit for the bicylists. I do my best to stay out of their way, but I've faced the dilemma you have, too, 4thgen. I've decided there is no way I'm walking in rattlesnake land or stickers so some Lance Armstrong wannabe can pretend they are in the Tour de France. They can just get over it.

you put it perfectly. and, yes, the speed limit is 15.

#6 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

a lot of folks think a lot of serious bikers have personality problems and are introverted which makes them not nice to walkers and runners.l when I walk I always have a rock in my hand.

this is sort of like old soldiers other theory that jerks are drawn towards buying BMW's

as always feedback on the old theorys are welcome

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(old soldier @ Jul 19 2008, 05:28 PM) View Post
a lot of folks think a lot of serious bikers have personality problems and are introverted which makes them not nice to walkers and runners.l when I walk I always have a rock in my hand.

this is sort of like old soldiers other theory that jerks are drawn towards buying BMW's
as always feedback on the old theorys are welcome

I hate to say it, but the rudest ones I've encountered are women. The men just seem to keep their heads down and go around.

#8 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

This was discussed a couple years back: http://www.tomatopag...?showtopic=8851

I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. sad.gif I've decided to stay off the trails (cycling or jogging) during peak usage times (like the past few weeks when all the people have been training for Eppie's). It gets scary out there! ohmy.gif

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 19 2008, 02:09 PM) View Post
you put it perfectly. and, yes, the speed limit is 15.

it's really 15mph? some of the worse bicyclists are doing well above that speed on the trails - those people are a danger

can we smack 'em or push 'em off their bikes for going too fast and causing a danger to everyone?
evilguy.gif

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jul 20 2008, 10:38 AM) View Post
it's really 15mph? some of the worse bicyclists are doing well above that speed on the trails - those people are a danger

can we smack 'em or push 'em off their bikes for going too fast and causing a danger to everyone?
evilguy.gif

I spoke with a state park ranger today who told me a big part of the problem is that the trail is under two jurisdictions. West of Nimbus Dam, its under County jurisdiction and they built and maintain dirt paths along the side of the road and encourage pedestrians to use these. around Lake Natoma and up to Folsom Lake, its under State Park jurisdiction and they post signs that indicate that bikes should yield to pedestrians and they DO NOT maintain dirt paths. Any biker who tells you to get in the dirt in the state park section is WRONG and does not know the rules.

#11 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

I ride on the Folsom side of Lake Natoma 4-5 times a week. 3/4 of all walkers are walking with traffic so they do not see riders coming up behind then in the same lane they are walking in. This creates big problems for the riders and the walkers.

If there's room to walk off the trail, especially around a turn, it's nice when the walkers use it. Otherwise, the biggest improvement would come from walkers walking against the traffic even if they're on the pavement.

Far too many walkers are all over the trail, as if they are the only people who use it. I'm amazed how often I have to work my way around these people, and after I go by them they are still walking in the middle of the trail.

Too many riders think they own the rights to the trail, and the same goes for the walkers.

One of the worst things is how many kids are riding without helmets. A fall at 5mph on to a head can be fatal.

The decomposed granite trails are nicer for walking on than the paved trail areas because there are very few riders and the scenery is better.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#12 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Jul 21 2008, 10:49 AM) View Post
The decomposed granite trails are nicer for walking on than the paved trail areas because there are very few riders and the scenery is better.

Where are those decomposed granite trails? (thanks in advance for the info)

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Warren G @ Jul 21 2008, 10:49 AM) View Post

thanks, Warren. I always walk facing traffic, but I'm not surprised walkers are confused about which side to walk on. I know to face traffic because I also ride and have friends who ride. Most people are out for a walk in the park and the "rules" aren't posted anywhere.

as for the trails, these only exist in short segments of the trail around Lake Natoma. And bikers use those too, which is frustrating.

I use my walk to get real exercise, not just take a stroll. I also had a serious pelvic injury that makes it hard for me to walk on uneven and moving surfaces. It causes the ball of my hipbone to grate against my pelvis and became inflamed. As a result, I need to walk on a paved surface, so I'm afraid I can't be jumping on and off the pavement every time a bike comes along. There are also sections where the grade differential between the two surfaces is as much as an inch. That's a hazard when you're trying to walk for exercise.

thanks for your calm and reasoned attitude. you give bike riders a good name!

#14 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

The rules say bikes are to yeild to pedestrians but the physics say get outta da way!

What the hell is an Eppies?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#15 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jul 21 2008, 11:31 AM) View Post
The rules say bikes are to yeild to pedestrians but the physics say get outta da way!

What the hell is an Eppies?

Eppies Great Race

http://www.thegreatrace.org/

I would rather be Backpacking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users