262 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

On the radio this morning I heard there was an effort afoot to lobby the city council to change the name of the new bridge to the Johnny Cash Bridge. Anyone know about this? It would be a great PR thing for Folsom and a fun thing for future generations to have that as part of our heritage....
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

I heard about this too - please email city council and encourage them to change the name to Johnny Cash Bridge (or at least something different).

Important to note, your "tiny little voice" is not so tiny. When people take the time to speak up about things, change truly happens.

#3 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post
On the radio this morning I heard there was an effort afoot to lobby the city council to change the name of the new bridge to the Johnny Cash Bridge. Anyone know about this? It would be a great PR thing for Folsom and a fun thing for future generations to have that as part of our heritage....

Pardon my ignorance - how is johnny cash part of our heritage?

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

http://en.wikipedia....om_Prison_Blues

^ For those of you who are unfamiliar with Johnny Cash. The other day I heard someone say "I can't believe people want to name the bridge after a guy that served at Folsom Prison"... proof that this city is becoming far removed from the impact he made to the city and the music industry. We need to preserve Cash's legacy before future generations have never even heard of him...

#5 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

Oh, no. No, no, no. Please God no. Not again..... wacko.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#6 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Folsom Guy @ Jul 14 2008, 11:56 AM) View Post

If you were in Folsom Prison way back when, he would be part of your heritage. For the City of Folsom, not so much! tongue.gif

#7 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(Folsom Guy @ Jul 14 2008, 10:56 AM) View Post

it doesn't matter where I have traveled in the world, when I tell people I'm from Folsom they say, "oh yes, Johnny Cash! Folsom Prison!" While he never stayed there as a prisoner, he sang that memorable song about the place, Folsom Prison Blues, made it world famous, and held a concert at the prison for prisoners in the 1960s. Joaquin Phoenix (right?) filmed part of the recent Johnny Cash movie there (here) in the recent past.

have you heard the lyrics of that song?

#8 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(ChipShot @ Jul 14 2008, 12:02 PM) View Post
Oh, no. No, no, no. Please God no. Not again..... wacko.gif

Chip, I'm with you on this one. Some people are trying to "cash" in on the name regardless of the fact that it has nothing to do with the City.

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 12:05 PM) View Post
it doesn't matter where I have traveled in the world, when I tell people I'm from Folsom they say, "oh yes, Johnny Cash! Folsom Prison!" While he never stayed there as a prisoner, he sang that memorable song about the place, Folsom Prison Blues, made it world famous, and held a concert at the prison for prisoners in the 1960s. Joaquin Phoenix (right?) filmed part of the recent Johnny Cash movie there (here) in the recent past.

Ditto here

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ Jul 14 2008, 11:06 AM) View Post
Chip, I'm with you on this one. Some people are trying to "cash" in on the name regardless of the fact that it has nothing to do with the City.

well, I'm not personally going to make any money on it, but it could be a fun tourism thing for the city. And Johnny Cash made Folsom a famous name. There aren't any famous songs about Roseville or Placerville. It is part of our history. And, just so you know, his daughter wrote a letter of support saying it was one of the most worthwhile uses of his name she had been presented with. I think Johnny Cash himself would be honored.

the bridge is going to right past the prison and may have incredible views of it. why not name it for him?

#11 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 12:05 PM) View Post

I too have traveled nationwide and worldwide, and it has been less than 10% of the times that people can make Cash and Folsom connection. I still have to tell them it's a Sac suburb...then they can place Folsom..'coz of governator.... and I saw the movie and it was a good one no doubt....

While I agree that Folosm Lake Crossing is not an innovative name, unless there's something more than the song, I am afraid I don't see dear Johnny earned a bridge name...my $0.02.

#12 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 12:23 PM) View Post
well, I'm not personally going to make any money on it, but it could be a fun tourism thing for the city. And Johnny Cash made Folsom a famous name. There aren't any famous songs about Roseville or Placerville. It is part of our history. And, just so you know, his daughter wrote a letter of support saying it was one of the most worthwhile uses of his name she had been presented with. I think Johnny Cash himself would be honored.

the bridge is going to right past the prison and may have incredible views of it. why not name it for him?

Because it will make people who don't know anything about Johnny Cash and his world-famous association with the town of Folsom uncomfortable, and we can't have that.

We should just call it the "Big Dip Overcrossing Passing Span"
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#13 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(ngilbert @ Jul 14 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post
We should just call it the "Big Dip Overcrossing Passing Span"

Or "Carl"
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#14 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 14 2008, 12:23 PM) View Post

Well, while I still don't see why we need to name a bridge after Cash, but, have got nothing against it either.... no adverse fallouts whatsoever...

My kids and their friends who are into hip-hop 'alternative' music (I call it rap-crap), seem to draw a complete blank when I mention Cash...

Whereas, when I see Leidesdorf (pardon my spelling) - I can relate to it - 'coz he did a lot...he's mentioned in the Rail Museum...but 10 years from now, try explaining the name to someone - a guy who loved prisoners and sang a song about Folsom Prison....and thus made Folsom famous...kinda lame isn't it

#15 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Folsom Guy @ Jul 14 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post
Well, while I still don't see why we need to name a bridge after Cash, but, have got nothing against it either.... no adverse fallouts whatsoever...

My kids and their friends who are into hip-hop 'alternative' music (I call it rap-crap), seem to draw a complete blank when I mention Cash...

Whereas, when I see Leidesdorf (pardon my spelling) - I can relate to it - 'coz he did a lot...he's mentioned in the Rail Museum...but 10 years from now, try explaining the name to someone - a guy who loved prisoners and sang a song about Folsom Prison....and thus made Folsom famous...kinda lame isn't it

I think Johnny Cash, a world-renown musician, is more famous than Leidesdorff. I doubt that very few people know who Leidesdorff is, unless they've visited our museums or read a little local history. If we had a bridge named after Johnny Cash, our museums or tourism folks could be similarly involved in educating the public. It is part of our history. Its an historic prison. It's been in numerous movies. It used to provide the main employment in this town, second only to the Natomas Company. That prison is part of our history and Johnny Cash made that prison famous world wide. I am pretty sure tourists would be interested and it gives us something that sets us apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users