7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:07 PM

Good article, kinda highlights the hypocrisy and intolerance of the left.  Conservatives, the only ones still left in the "closet".  

Conservative in Hollywood? Be a 'Democrat publicly,' industry vet says

http://www.foxnews.c...y-vet-says.html

While conservative actors like Tim Allen and Jon Voight regularly talk politics, the majority of Republican showbiz pros we talked to said they now fear being blacklisted like writers, actors, and others said to be communist sympathizers were banned from working in show business in the 1950s.

"I often tell friends getting into the biz from this day forward, you are a Democrat publicly,” one industry vet told Fox News on the condition of anonymity.

Three members of the Hollywood conservative group Friends of Abe (as in Abe Lincoln) said the political climate in Hollywood is the worst they have ever seen, with one actor/screenwriter who also requested to not be named saying: “It’s toxic if you have any leanings towards Donald Trump or the Republican Party.”

"You keep quiet because you don't know if that's going to set someone off who can hire you,” the Hollywood pro said. “It's a unique scenario because you won't be punished if you are liberal."

1A - 2A = -1A

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

I want my actors to act, my athletes to play and my musicians to make music. The minute they get all political or preachy, they are pretty much dead to me, and I take my dollars somewhere else.  Some nitwit who thinks fame equates to wisdom (both fans and stars) is too shallow to waste my time with.  It's too bad too. A lot of talent out there that is spolied for me. You'd think that in ANY industry, you wouldn't want to make half your potential clients look at you with disdain.

My advice to athletes, actors and musicians? Stick with what you're paid for.  And twitter is not your friend.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

Joe - didn't see the initial post but get the gist of it from your response.  

Fame doesn't equate to wisdom, but fame does give you a voice far louder than the man in the street.  And since we're in the midst of the attention economy, having that voice means everything to some.  What they say is immaterial however, because it won't be remembered.  I'm able to separate these people's professional persona from their personal beliefs, and enjoy watching them do what they're good at.  Ignore the rest. 

#4 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:20 AM

Joe - I didn't read the initial post 

Translation: "I don't read posts from Chris. I block his posts because Chris challenges me on a variety of topics and I can't handle being challenged.  After all, I'm right about everything, I'm arrogant about it, and I don't want my world view to come crashing down if, by chance, I am proven wrong about some things. I will not tolerate opinions and viewpoints that differ from mine. I'm an intolerant, hardcore Leftist".

Pretty immature.

#5 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Translation: "I don't read posts from Chris. I block his posts because Chris challenges me on a variety of topics and I can't handle being challenged.  After all, I'm right about everything, I'm arrogant about it, and I don't want my world view to come crashing down if, by chance, I am proven wrong about some things. I will not tolerate opinions and viewpoints that differ from mine. I'm an intolerant, hardcore Leftist".

Pretty immature.

Thanks Aces....!   He's deep in his shielded, progressive, snowflake bunker immune to any contrary opinion.  Yep, he can't handle the truth......   Actually ok with me as it saves me time correcting his "fake facts" all the time on global warming and the evils of the pharmaceutical industry......   I know he peeks in every once and awhile after a month or so when he realizes he's only talking to himself, Joe, and Vinny.   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#6 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Joe - didn't see the initial post but get the gist of it from your response.  

Fame doesn't equate to wisdom, but fame does give you a voice far louder than the man in the street.  And since we're in the midst of the attention economy, having that voice means everything to some.  What they say is immaterial however, because it won't be remembered.  I'm able to separate these people's professional persona from their personal beliefs, and enjoy watching them do what they're good at.  Ignore the rest. 

The OP was more about modern day McCarthyism, but I took it in a more general direction. The op was more like the discussion we had about Tim Allens great show that got cancelled despite having great ratings. That show looks like it may get picked up by CMT by the way.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#7 Who_Do_You_Trust

Who_Do_You_Trust

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

The OP was more about modern day McCarthyism, but I took it in a more general direction. The op was more like the discussion we had about Tim Allens great show that got cancelled despite having great ratings. That show looks like it may get picked up by CMT by the way.

Good news about Tim Allen.  I hope his show does get picked up.  As an entertainer, he's actually very funny and is able to express what goes thru many men's minds in a very humorous way.  He did the same on "Home Improvement".  As for his personal beliefs, he's certainly entitled to them.  I may not agree with him sometimes but respect his freedom to say what he wishes, and won't let it deter me from getting a good laugh from his show.  

My favorite bit on "Home Improvement" was the time he rewired the dishwasher to have "more power".  It was shooting plates and cups thru the cabinet walls from the inside.  Hilarious - laughing about it now.  I'll bet the prop guys on his show had a blast (no pun intended).

#8 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:31 AM

Fame does not equate common sense.

Example look at all the celebrities who have overdosed, gotten in trouble with the law or committed suicide.

To listen to and follow a celebrities political advice (ala Katy Perry etc) is to be a fool following the advice of a clown.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users