14 replies to this topic

#1 NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I searched the forum for previous postings on firewood but only came up with one to come get some free wood in 2009. I apologize if there is another thread or if I posted in wrong section. I am looking to get a 1/2 cord of oak delivered. Does anyone have any recommendations as to who they use. I know back in 2008, I had "Dave" deliver some but can't see to locate him. Thanks in advance!

#2 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I usually find stuff on craigslist.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#3 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I used Dave last year but am having a hard time finding his number. I'll dig deeper when I get home but AFAIK, he's still in the wood biz!

#4 NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

I've been looking on Craigslist but the 2 people I called seemed "shady". David H, if and when you find Dave's number, could you pass it along. Thanks!

#5 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Found it! Dave, 916.985.4274. That's the number I used in 2009 and 2011 so hopefully it's still good.

#6 becca

becca

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have a half cord of mixed cedar and oak, if you are interested.

#7 NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thank you David H!!! Becca~ If I can't get ahold of Dave, I'll let you know.

#8 (Cheesesteak)

(Cheesesteak)
  • Visitors

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I've been using Tony's Firewood, in Citrus Heights for a few years now. http://tonysfirewoodinc.com/info.htm

I use him becuase I want good dry almond wood for my wood-fired pizza oven - but he's got all kinds of wood. I'm pretty picky about the wood I use in the oven - and Tony's is the best I've found in the area. If he takes the same approach to "regualr" firewood - you should be fine with him.

I don't really know how his prices compare with others that sell firewood - but, to be honest - I'd rather pay more and get really nicely seasoned (and dry) wood. There's nothing worse that a slow-burning smokey fire from some green or otherwise under-seasoned wood. Yuck.

#9 NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

I've bought from Dave twice since 2008 and my Sister as well. He has black and blue oak and it's $135 for a 1/2 of cord, delivered. Dave is bringing me some at 5pm. Thanks again, David H for finding his number!

#10 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I've bought from Dave twice since 2008 and my Sister as well. He has black and blue oak and it's $135 for a 1/2 of cord, delivered. Dave is bringing me some at 5pm. Thanks again, David H for finding his number!

Glad to hear he's still in business! The last two 1/2 cords I've purchased from him were beautiful, well-dried, the perfect size, and a great price.

#11 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Any updates to this for 2014?  I left a message for Dave last weekend and haven't heard back.  I read the Yelp reviews for Tony's (taken with a grain of salt, of course) and it didn't sound promising.

#12 VillageIdiot

VillageIdiot

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

Content deleted

#13 Duke

Duke

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

For a nice family outing, try Teager's FirewoodFeatures dried and split hard and soft wood (...mostly hardwoods).

It's a family-run business located at 5555 Mother Lode Drive, Placerville. I 've visited there on several occcasions to re-stock my El Dorado County home when I think I might get seasonally-short of oak for the woodstove.

Anyway, prices are better off-season-- but are competitive if you arrive with a pickup truck and trailer and load it yourself.  The proprietors are nice folks who have been there for many years.  Loading your own provides you with the opportunity to hand-select your wood, and encourages a little exercise. 

Finish your task by stopping by the Diamond Springs Hotel for a tasty meal and beverage.

#14 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Good news, Dave is still in business.  He delivered (and helped stack) 1/2 cord of black oak for $130.  He can be reached at (916) 985-4274.

#15 Deanna H

Deanna H

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:07 PM

Does anyone have a current number for Dave? The one above no longer works. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users