Speed Trap

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

Just came through the intersection from Costco at 745, and saw the motorcycle cop with radar gun pointing up the hill, and cars pulled over by 2nd MC cop below him on Iron Point. Beware!!

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Better yet, make it a habit to drive the speed limit and stop for red lights and stop signs all the time and you won't need to worry : )

I've been seeing quite a bit of CHP enforcement on Highway 50 lately, too.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Better yet, make it a habit to drive the speed limit and stop for red lights and stop signs all the time and you won't need to worry : )

I've been seeing quite a bit of CHP enforcement on Highway 50 lately, too.

Ditto. I dislike the term "speed trap." What we have here are law enforcement officers who are doing their job to catch people who drive in a dangerous manner. There are several areas in Folsom where people think it's okay to drive as if they're on the freeway. I welcome this policing and would never think to get online to warn others (just one woman's opinion); maybe (a girl can dream) getting ticket will serve as disincentive to drive recklessly in the future.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

They like to find areas where you are travelling downhill because it's easier to nab you. Unless you ride your brakes all the way down you'll most likely be "speeding."

They used to do the same on on Iron Point as you pass the High School. Gradual, downhill bend in the road is a perfect speed trap because that's what it is, a speedtrap.

#5 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

That cop is there very often. He needs to be. There are too many idiots speeding across lanes in a hell bent hurry to get to the freeway to get to work.

If only those people would leave a few minutes earlier so they wouldn't have to drive at such a frenzied pace.

Slow down people!

#6 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

People fly down that hill. Last I checked most modern cars include brakes...

They like to find areas where you are travelling downhill because it's easier to nab you. Unless you ride your brakes all the way down you'll most likely be "speeding."

They used to do the same on on Iron Point as you pass the High School. Gradual, downhill bend in the road is a perfect speed trap because that's what it is, a speedtrap.

No, your car includes brakes correct??? Posted speed limits don't have a clause that say "on level ground" or "uphill only".

#7 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

No, your car includes brakes correct??? Posted speed limits don't have a clause that say "on level ground" or "uphill only".

common sense is a lost skill

#8 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

People want to cry foul and call them "speed traps" but what would be REALLY tragic is a mom with a car load of kids turning off of Serpa to head up the hill to school and gets broadsided by some joker who runs the light because they were traveling down the hill too fast to make the light.

THank you Folsom PD. We need more "Speed Traps"

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

I agree that it's a good thing, not a trap. I dislike people complaining the cops are just trying to increase revenue when enforcement of an existing law is increased. I say it's a good choice by the state/city/municipality. I speed on the highway. I know I'm breaking the law and taking the risk of getting a ticket. Speeding isn't my right. IMO, traffic tickets are a great revenue source. You choose to speed, you take the risk of paying more. You pay the ticket and your insurance rightfully goes up. Don't want to pay? Don't speed (use those brakes, or downshift if you're driving a manual).

#10 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

All I said was that's it's easier to get caught speeding there, thus a speedtrap. I'm not advocating speeding.

I see speeding all over town on plenty of level roads but never see the radar guys except is these certain locations.

#11 FolsomEJ

FolsomEJ

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

All I said was that's it's easier to get caught speeding there, thus a speedtrap. I'm not advocating speeding.

I see speeding all over town on plenty of level roads but never see the radar guys except is these certain locations.

Maybe you need to invert the problem.

The downhill adds to the speeding so that the speeding is not just high it is extreme. Maybe that's why the cops are there.

I've seen people doing at least 70 in both locations.

(Braking is harder in those circumstances, making it more dangerous for a given speed.)

#12 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I agree that it's a good thing, not a trap. I dislike people complaining the cops are just trying to increase revenue when enforcement of an existing law is increased. I say it's a good choice by the state/city/municipality. I speed on the highway. I know I'm breaking the law and taking the risk of getting a ticket. Speeding isn't my right. IMO, traffic tickets are a great revenue source. You choose to speed, you take the risk of paying more. You pay the ticket and your insurance rightfully goes up. Don't want to pay? Don't speed (use those brakes, or downshift if you're driving a manual).

since we are in an era where self esteem is at the forefront it takes the sting away when you call a ticket a "fast driving award"

#13 Goofy

Goofy

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Now if they would just hang there at 11pm they would catch the truly reckless drivers, It becomes a racetrack for kids on the weekends, I have even seen them spin around and race down the wrong side of the road with no way to get back over the planter...

BTW hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a lurker for a while, just never signed up:)

#14 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

Now if they would just hang there at 11pm they would catch the truly reckless drivers, It becomes a racetrack for kids on the weekends, I have even seen them spin around and race down the wrong side of the road with no way to get back over the planter...

BTW hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a lurker for a while, just never signed up:)

Welcome, Goofy!
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#15 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Now this is a silly notion becuase we know kids can't afford to pay tickets, only Soccer Moms and people on their way to work can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users