• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

We bought a second-hand mattress and the old one needs to go... Do places like Mattress Discounters take your mattress (presumably for a fee) even if you did not purchase a mattress there? Any insight is appreciated.

#2 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 8 2005, 09:37 PM)
We bought a second-hand mattress and the old one needs to go... Do places like Mattress Discounters take your mattress (presumably for a fee) even if you did not purchase a mattress there? Any insight is appreciated.

View Post

I would check in with homeless shelters and see if they take mattresses as donations.

However, I know when we got our new beds, the company we got it from took our old ones at no charge.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

trust me, even homeless people won't want this mattress. The thing is so shot!

#4 CoachWeise

CoachWeise

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

Sounds like the dump is calling for you then ;-)

Unless there is a junk pick up day in your area soon... Not sure when they are.

Coach Weise.

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

John, I know that this would take some time but I have done the following in the past.

Cut the mattress up in pieces and put them in garbage bags. Put what you can in each trash can until you get rid of it. It might take a couple of weeks but it does work. Saves dump fees, etc.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 swimerdude87

swimerdude87

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:48 PM

goodwill...donate and claim on your taxes...if goodwill takes it, sounds like its in really bad shape

#7 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

I see a lot of stuff dumped on the roads south of 50. biggrin.gif
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#8 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:13 PM

Most organizations that take donations do NOT accept used mattresses. I think the dump is your only option, John.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:22 PM

Mattresses & More took it in Orangevale. They take old mattresses, strip them down, refurbish them, and give them to the needy. For free! Awesome.

#10 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE(tessieca @ Jul 9 2005, 03:13 PM)
Most organizations that take donations do NOT accept used mattresses.  I think the dump is your only option, John.

View Post

Not only do they not accept many used items, they have fairly high standards for clothes, they don't accept used clothes that I still wear. Apparently, if you're poor, you can't patch a pair of jeans and wear them, but we can. smile.gif

A multi-millionaire friend back in NY is the same way. I used to kid him that some of his summer t-shirts have more holes than material.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#11 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 9 2005, 04:22 PM)
Mattresses & More  took it in Orangevale. They take old mattresses, strip them down, refurbish them, and give them to the needy. For free! Awesome.

View Post

Cool. I was gonna suggest you huck it over your fence into your neighbors yard.
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#12 StupidKid

StupidKid

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:18 PM

the highway takes em for free

#13 dailydos

dailydos

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Family, church, education, business, economics

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:41 PM

not sure if it was suggested, but Placerville Rd. could use another... the last couple are gone smile.gif

It's sad that was the first thing to pop into my head, isn't it...
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
-- Thomas Jefferson

#14 marianna

marianna

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 9 2005, 04:22 PM)
Mattresses & More  took it in Orangevale. They take old mattresses, strip them down, refurbish them, and give them to the needy. For free! Awesome.

View Post

Are you sure this is the store you talked with?? I just called them (have 2 mattresses to get rid of) and they said they only take away mattresses from customers that have purchased new ones. Said they do not have a program to refurbish old mattresses and give them to the needy. wacko.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users