38 replies to this topic

#16 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

lol, im waiting for the pro PROs-to show up and talk about prohibition laws and the creation of underground operations such as in places like massage parlors in residential neighborhoods. 

Does prohibition really serve a purpose in a society that is tolerant to free behaviors, lifestyles, expressionism?

As usual, I'm not sure what you mean.  What's a pro Pro?

I don't lol at human trafficking, which is conducted out of illegitimate massage parlors.  I don't think anyone would want to live next door to that.

You're mixing apples and oranges.  This isn't about prohibition or free behaviors.  These places make it harder for legitimate places to do business because the state wants to impose more fees for regulation, which only the legitimate places will end up paying while the others fly under the radar.

#17 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

As usual, I'm not sure what you mean.  What's a pro Pro?

I don't lol at human trafficking, which is conducted out of illegitimate massage parlors.  I don't think anyone would want to live next door to that.

You're mixing apples and oranges.  This isn't about prohibition or free behaviors.  These places make it harder for legitimate places to do business because the state wants to impose more fees for regulation, which only the legitimate places will end up paying while the others fly under the radar.

Pro Prostitiution.

and there are many people who would argue that regulation is the problem.

The US is supposed to be all about free trade/ bla h blah blah.

Im not saying I agree or disagree with the ideals but I was saying that I was surprised by the lack of protesters who are pro PRO. 

Certainly given the recent outbreak of Pro canabis laws that is paving the way to break down the moral barriers on behavioral control in the US.

The arguments are the same. There are health and safety concerns on both issues. There are security issues on both issues. There are moral and judgemental issues on both issues. There are regulating and taxation issues on both issues. 

And there are certainly feel gooders who believe that if they want it, then it should be allowed- on both issues. 

So yeah, I was expecting a few pro PROs to show up and espouse why Prostitution in massage parlors should be allowed and why its good for you and your community. 

Afterall, isnt a safe place to be free a good place?

h ahaaaaa

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:19 PM

The Folsom City Council voted on a 45-day moratorium on home-based massage parlors until city staff can review how to better regulate such businesses.  There are currently eight being operated in Folsom.  Elk Grove is doing something similar.

#19 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:51 PM

The Folsom City Council voted on a 45-day moratorium on home-based massage parlors until city staff can review how to better regulate such businesses.  There are currently eight being operated in Folsom.  Elk Grove is doing something similar.

It is too bad these arrests (bad apples) have to hurt the Professional Massage Therapists.  Massage Therapy has been practiced for thousands of years successfully and is a viable alternative health option.

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

It is too bad these arrests (bad apples) have to hurt the Professional Massage Therapists.  Massage Therapy has been practiced for thousands of years successfully and is a viable alternative health option.

Exactly.  The moratorium won't affect those already in business as long as they comply with all current regulations as far as proof of certification, keep their business license current, and follow the municipal codes regarding home-based businesses.  

I'm not sure what city staff are looking to do.  It will be hard to regulate.  One of the women arrested appeared to be certified.  It's hard to tell.  In the news story her name is spelled Yueting Hu and the certification is for Yue Ting Hu.  Unless you had some sort of photo identification attached to a certification it would be easy to set up shop under someone else's certification.

#21 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

Ducky,

I completely respect your right believe that there wasn't an election conspiracy by not busting these places until after the election.

Maybe a better question might be, Is the City and this council capable of delaying the busting of these places until after an election?

Given what the City ( & council ) has done over the years, like giving away the water to S50 after saying they couldn't do that ( at a meeting before Christmas knowing Residents would be less likely to pay attention and possibly mount a referendum), then suing the residents to preclude any legal action regarding this matter.

The election 6 years ago, Jeff talked about all his work regarding increasing the surplus, yet 6 (SIX) days after the election they City announces a budget deficit  of almost 9 million.

Jeff, Steve and Kerri have all publically stated that the landowners paid for the all planning costs for S50, yet when I requested through a PIA all the hours that staff spent during this, I was told in WRITING there wasn't a system to track the hours. If there isn't any system to track hours how can anyone be sure its accurate?

During the last election, Jeff had 2 campaign signs side by side, clearly exceeding the then limits of 40 sq', yet the CM did nothing, except to say he was looking into it. He still must be looking into it since he has never said anything else about it.

During a past election, a challenger was told their sign was placed in an illegal area, but the incumbents sign right next to it was legal. Somebody then went out and removed that challenger's sign and moved the incumbents sign to the stakes where the challengers sign was said to be illegal and put up a different challengers sign on the stakes where in the incumbents sign was and within 24 hours the new Challenger sign was told their sign was illegal and the incumbents sign was legal, by the city.

Look at all of Jeffs bullying, First to the Fire Union Rep, ( after he won the election) To Legal services and to the Security Guard. There's no doubt he is capable of anything.

Consider Kerrie's recent FB posting, encouraging her supporters to basically sabotage Rogers FB and NOT to let Kerrie's posting fall into the wrong hands.

Given all these things and others that I can add, there isn't any doubt in mind that the powers to be are most capable of holding off on busting these massage parlors to avoid having any embarrassing news come out during an election.

Anyone else want to share your thoughts regarding if you feel these powers to be are capable of postponing busting massage parlors during an election to possibly help the incumbents win reelection?

#22 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

does anyone remember when Reggie Drew was busted in a prostitution sting right after being seated as Folsom's mayor?  there was discussion of political intrigue then too, as I recall.  but that time it was the county sheriff and the word on the street is that people had an idea that Reggie had been going there, had been warned the stings were happening and still managed to get caught.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#23 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

does anyone remember when Reggie Drew was busted in a prostitution sting right after being seated as Folsom's mayor?  there was discussion of political intrigue then too, as I recall.  but that time it was the county sheriff and the word on the street is that people had an idea that Reggie had been going there, had been warned the stings were happening and still managed to get caught.

I remember the arrest.  I didn't know about the intrigue.  I didn't pay much attention to local politics then.  I do remember being at an event at the community center where he was going around and introducing himself to people there and it seemed like he had maybe tipped back a few too many.  I thought it was kind of odd behavior for someone in the public eye.  It all kind of made sense when the arrest happened.

Back to the moratorium on home massage parlors, does anyone know what's happening with that?

Does anyone else have a business in their neighborhood that has signage?  I just don't like the idea of commercial signage in a residential area.  Seems strange customers parking in a nearby business parking lot when there is parking in front of the home business.

#24 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

The Busy Bee Motel!

#25 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

Exactly.  The moratorium won't affect those already in business as long as they comply with all current regulations as far as proof of certification, keep their business license current, and follow the municipal codes regarding home-based businesses.  

I'm not sure what city staff are looking to do.  It will be hard to regulate.  One of the women arrested appeared to be certified.  It's hard to tell.  In the news story her name is spelled Yueting Hu and the certification is for Yue Ting Hu.  Unless you had some sort of photo identification attached to a certification it would be easy to set up shop under someone else's certification.

The state has set new laws for regulating acquisition of massage licenses. Known (and reputable) massage schools are very clear to insist on training, internship and written testing before a license is awarded. California is shorting out all those 30/60 day online classes and pushing for verified training regulated through the Department of Consumer Affairs (same place you have to re-establish a license for being a security guard, private investigator, body guard, repo, doctor license and nurse license, acupuncture, chiropractor, etc.). The last I looked it up - it was still a bill that was supposed to be voted on in the last election. Im not really sure if it passed. So all the grandfathered in businesses will be fine. but if they change locations, names or DBAs then their licenses will have to be re-initiated.

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

The state has set new laws for regulating acquisition of massage licenses. Known (and reputable) massage schools are very clear to insist on training, internship and written testing before a license is awarded. California is shorting out all those 30/60 day online classes and pushing for verified training regulated through the Department of Consumer Affairs (same place you have to re-establish a license for being a security guard, private investigator, body guard, repo, doctor license and nurse license, acupuncture, chiropractor, etc.). The last I looked it up - it was still a bill that was supposed to be voted on in the last election. Im not really sure if it passed. So all the grandfathered in businesses will be fine. but if they change locations, names or DBAs then their licenses will have to be re-initiated.

Thanks, for the info, supermom.  It sounds like that would help solve the problem of those operating under someone else's licence as well, hopefully.

I'm not sure, but I think CMTs also have to go through the city and pay for a license to do business in the City of Folsom, same for Sacramento, etc, even if they aren't working out of their home and work for a place like Massage Envy.  For those that try to operate legitimately it can get quite expensive for all those separate licenses.  If it were all done under the Dept. of Consumer Affairs that might be better as long as there is enforcement, which seems to be the tricky part.  They always seem to be understaffed or have no teeth because complaints go to analysts.

#27 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks, for the info, supermom.  It sounds like that would help solve the problem of those operating under someone else's licence as well, hopefully.

I'm not sure, but I think CMTs also have to go through the city and pay for a license to do business in the City of Folsom, same for Sacramento, etc, even if they aren't working out of their home and work for a place like Massage Envy.  For those that try to operate legitimately it can get quite expensive for all those separate licenses.  If it were all done under the Dept. of Consumer Affairs that might be better as long as there is enforcement, which seems to be the tricky part.  They always seem to be understaffed or have no teeth because complaints go to analysts.

Well, I know that complaints at Dept of Consumer Affairs that are lodged against Healthcare workers and Security guards get close scrutiny. The response is usually within 48 hours and the fines levied - or punishments (Up to jail and loss of said license) can be swift. I have certainly not seen them wait for a trial before they conclude their own investigations. While I was in College 2 years ago and taking courses, one my classmates worked as an clerk there and most of my class mates were frankly disdainful of being her partner because she worked for investigations unit for Security guards. I liked working with her because I could pick her brain about things I like to know- like how often is someone cited. You can go onto the Department of Consumer Affairs and look up someone's license and find out if they are in good standing or if they are suspended or had it revoked. 

FYI, you can also look up Dr.s license statuses (negative results) through the State Board and through the State Workers Compensation Appeals Board websites.

#28 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well, I know that complaints at Dept of Consumer Affairs that are lodged against Healthcare workers and Security guards get close scrutiny. The response is usually within 48 hours and the fines levied - or punishments (Up to jail and loss of said license) can be swift. I have certainly not seen them wait for a trial before they conclude their own investigations. While I was in College 2 years ago and taking courses, one my classmates worked as an clerk there and most of my class mates were frankly disdainful of being her partner because she worked for investigations unit for Security guards. I liked working with her because I could pick her brain about things I like to know- like how often is someone cited. You can go onto the Department of Consumer Affairs and look up someone's license and find out if they are in good standing or if they are suspended or had it revoked. 

FYI, you can also look up Dr.s license statuses (negative results) through the State Board and through the State Workers Compensation Appeals Board websites.

Well, yeah, they can go after those that are licensed.  They're easy to find.

#29 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

In the past i have lived and worked in the same neighborhood where the Busy Bee is located, Even by Del Paso Heights standards during the crack cocaine 80's the Busy Bee was a stand out as a drug and prostitution den, I can't imagine anyone with any sense going anywhere near that place. 

I think some people think they are bullet-proof.  He even knew the sheriff's dept. was conducting stings in the area, they actually sort of warned him.  he was down there on a regular enough of a basis that they knew he frequented the area.  i would say that was the biggest scandal to ever hit Folsom.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:03 AM

I think some people think they are bullet-proof.  He even knew the sheriff's dept. was conducting stings in the area, they actually sort of warned him.  he was down there on a regular enough of a basis that they knew he frequented the area.  i would say that was the biggest scandal to ever hit Folsom.

Having a substance-abuse problem makes people think they are bulletproof.  It makes you wonder how the other council members didn't notice.  Of course, maybe they did and were the ones that tipped off the police and that's when things finally caught up to him at the BZB.  I found an old article from the prison system where they called him Reggie "party meister" Drew so he obviously had a reputation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users