Photo
- - - - -

Prisoner Walked Away. Why No Nixle Notification?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

So an hour or so ago, a prisoner walked away from the low security area of the prison. Especially for those of us who live near the prison, why aren't we receiving Nixle text notifications? He has since been recaptured but it sure would be nice to be notified more promptly without having to rely on the local grapevine on Facebook for this information.

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

Good question. From my experience the Nixle notifications go out a bit late; perhaps they captured the prisoner before they  had time to send out the notification. I wish the notifications were real time.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

Yes, it sure would be nice to know when it happens as a reminder to lock our back doors. Our backyard is an easy stroll from the prison right through the water treatment plant.

I do know that these type of community real-time alerts are possible. Friends of ours live in Martinez close to the oil refinery down there and they get a phone call or a text message if they need to shelter in place when there is a fire at the refinery.

Kimberly Purcell

#4 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

As a life-long resident here in Folsom, we know from experience that when there's a prison walkaway, the inmate is trying to get as far away from Folsom as fast as possible so there shouldn't be a lot of concern about them coming to your house.  They're dressed completely in blue denim (prison blues) and stand out from the crowd so to speak.  I don't recall there ever being an inmate walkaway accessing a Folsom residence or taking hostages from the community since I can remember.

#5 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

As a life-long resident here in Folsom, we know from experience that when there's a prison walkaway, the inmate is trying to get as far away from Folsom as fast as possible so there shouldn't be a lot of concern about them coming to your house.  They're dressed completely in blue denim (prison blues) and stand out from the crowd so to speak.  I don't recall there ever being an inmate walkaway accessing a Folsom residence or taking hostages from the community since I can remember.

Wasn't there a guy found in a backyard like 15 years ago?
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#6 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

I agree Terry, I'm actually not concerned about the prison or I wouldn't have bought a house so close. It just makes sense however that we would be notified.

Kimberly Purcell

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

First of all, there's a first time for everything. Second of all, Nixle alerts should go out immediately so everyone can be on the lookout, whether the inmate is trying to find a local place to hide or is trying to get as far away from Folsom as fast as possible.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

I agree that we should be notified.  What harm is there in notifying residents who could help be on the lookout? While the odds are low that A) there will be an escape or B) that the escapee will stick around, there have been escapee incidents in the last 15 years.  Not too long ago there was an escapee from Folsom prison who ended up trying to steal a car from Esplanade and then ran through Renaissance in Empire Ranch.  He was caught in a pick up truck near the strawberry stand on Green Valley Road.  While he didn't go far, he certainly could have caused problems.  Likewise, there was an escapee from the Boys Ranch who entered a garage in Broadstone, tied the woman up and stole her car.  

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

I agree that we should be notified.  What harm is there in notifying residents who could help be on the lookout? While the odds are low that A) there will be an escape or B) that the escapee will stick around, there have been escapee incidents in the last 15 years.  Not too long ago there was an escapee from Folsom prison who ended up trying to steal a car from Esplanade and then ran through Renaissance in Empire Ranch.  He was caught in a pick up truck near the strawberry stand on Green Valley Road.  While he didn't go far, he certainly could have caused problems.  Likewise, there was an escapee from the Boys Ranch who entered a garage in Broadstone, tied the woman up and stole her car.  

thanks.  that first guy is the guy I was thinking of.  my sense of time is rusty!  :)

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users