11 replies to this topic

#1 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Anyone believe that the traffic light at the intersection of Sibley and Glenn should just be fixed? From what I understand the light is intentionally red for straight traffic on Sibley in both directions to enrage (or delay) drivers so they find another route. Currently most drivers get upset and turn onto Cobble Ridge Drive (speed) and then back onto Sibley to avoid this broken light. I'm not sure this delayed light works at all for any purpose except enraging drivers and increased speeding traffic on Cobble Ridge Drive. Most if not all people using Sibley live in the area or use Natoma Street to get directly on Folsom-Auburn Road anyway (i.e. avoiding the historical district anyway). This broken light is not helping traffic at all. Can this light just be fixed to work?

#2 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Anyone believe that the traffic light at the intersection of Sibley and Glenn should just be fixed? From what I understand the light is intentionally red for straight traffic on Sibley in both directions to enrage (or delay) drivers so they find another route. Currently most drivers get upset and turn onto Cobble Ridge Drive (speed) and then back onto Sibley to avoid this broken light. I'm not sure this delayed light works at all for any purpose except enraging drivers and increased speeding traffic on Cobble Ridge Drive. Most if not all people using Sibley live in the area or use Natoma Street to get directly on Folsom-Auburn Road anyway (i.e. avoiding the historical district anyway). This broken light is not helping traffic at all. Can this light just be fixed to work?

I'm just guessing, but I think the intent to enrage/delay drivers is to encourage the Intel et al folks to take Blue Ravine to Folsom-Auburn road instead of taking Sibley to get to the new bridge etc. Now I turn right to go East on Blue Ravine, but I see a whole lot of traffic going straight on Prairie City/Sibley. This could be due to the limited time and a single lane for those who do go left on Blue Ravine. I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe the problem stems from their not being two left hand turn lanes from North bound Prairie city to West bound Blue Ravine.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

The length of the light at Glenn where it crosses East Bidwell St. is also delayed.

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Is this something new ? I have not experienced any major delays in getting through on Sibley nor on Glen...

The length of the light at Glenn where it crosses East Bidwell St. is also delayed.

I hate that intersection on Glen - no right hand turn lanes so it is a (censored) to wait to get onto East Bidwell- I turn right on Riley and then take wales or orchard to EB...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe the problem stems from their not being two left hand turn lanes from North bound Prairie city to West bound Blue Ravine.

I often avoid the left turn by cutting through the medical center as I live off Turnpike...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Just going to complain or maybe call someone in the city and find
out if they can check it out and possibly make some changes?
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

It's been like that since the Dam Road closed and they had the partial road closure on Sibley. They never changed it back.

Just going to complain or maybe call someone in the city and find
out if they can check it out and possibly make some changes?

Get a hold of Mark Rackovan, he is the city traffic planner.

http://www.folsom.ca...min/default.asp

#7 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

It's screwy. I can't recall who told me so the first time, but it's supposed to duct the Prairie City traffic over to Folsom, on the theory that people are using it to go downtown. But it's been this way since before all the improvements (downtown exit and Folsom Lake Crossing) were completed. For those of us who live in NS and need to go to central Riley street, it's a pain in the butt.

Then again, I'm never in that part of town during rush hour.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

If it's meant to keep people from using neighborhoods as a shortcut, I'm not going to complain.

#9 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

If it's meant to keep people from using neighborhoods as a shortcut, I'm not going to complain.

It does the opposite and encourages people to use Cobble Ridge Drive as a work around. I don't like it because it just delays all of us who live in the neighborhood.

And thanks I'll contact Mark.

#10 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Then again, I'm never in that part of town during rush hour.

I guess that is why I am never bothered by it --

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

It does the opposite and encourages people to use Cobble Ridge Drive as a work around. I don't like it because it just delays all of us who live in the neighborhood.

And thanks I'll contact Mark.

You're absolutely right. If it is backfiring and causing a whole other problem, then the city should be contacted. My bad.

#12 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

As John said, that was the intent, to dissuade the commuters heading across the river from using Sibley to Natoma, which is residential (even though, according to the city, most of it doesn't quite meet the CVC definition of a residential street, which is why the speed limit is 30 to Bidwell and 25 only between Bidwell and Natoma).

As for it leading to more traffic through Cobble Ridge, that's worth contacting Mark about. I've done that on a bicycle, but that is as much to avoid the narrow lanes on Sibley as to avoid the wait. I would be surprised if people used Cobble Ridge to get back to Sibley, but I could see them using it to get to Lembi Dr. and then turn right. But I've never seen more than one or two cars in the time it takes me to ride from one end of Cobble Ridge to the other, so I doubt many people are doing this unless they live in the neighborhood.

Personally, I'm just glad to see that several years after the signal was installed, the pedestrian crossing lights to allow you to walk to the SW corner of the intersection finally got installed this year.

As annoyed as I am by that light, I'm for leaving it alone, because I believe it does successfully encourage through traffic to turn left on Glenn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users