• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Well the Kings are finally sold... if I were Vivek Ranadive, this would be my first orders of business...

- Clean house. The team stinks. Other than Isiah Thomas, I'm not sure any of the players are untradeable. Even IT I am not sure I wouldn't trade if we found someone. Cousins, Tyreke... they all hold trade value. 

- Fire Keith Smart. He was a bargain basement coach.

- Get a new team logo. The old logo reeks of the 1990s, and is a painful reminder of the Maloofs. Let's get this team marketable again.

- New coat of paint at Sleep Train. While we wait for a new arena, spruce up the old barn a bit. There are a lot of things you could do to make the place look like you didn't stop caring 5 years ago.

- Bring back the Monarchs. I don't know if the Monarchs made money or not, but I'd like to think they did. I would guess they would be welcomed back.

- Break ground!!! Long live the Kings!!!

#2 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Whoop whoop!

#3 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Well the Kings are finally sold... if I were Vivek Ranadive, this would be my first orders of business...

- Clean house. The team stinks. Other than Isiah Thomas, I'm not sure any of the players are untradeable. Even IT I am not sure I wouldn't trade if we found someone. Cousins, Tyreke... they all hold trade value. 

- Get a new team logo. The old logo reeks of the 1990s, and is a painful reminder of the Maloofs. Let's get this team marketable again.

- New coat of paint at Sleep Train. While we wait for a new arena, spruce up the old barn a bit. There are a lot of things you could do to make the place look like you didn't stop caring 5 years ago.

- Bring back the Monarchs. I don't know if the Monarchs made money or not, but I'd like to think they did. I would guess they would be welcomed back.

The VIP room was an absolute joke this year... clearly the worst in the league. They let anyone and everyone in there. The food was horrible. The Maloofs just ran the franchise into the ground in every way.

For the employees that have stuck it out, I'm very happy for them. I know our sales people (Brent, you da man!) are great, and I look forward to a better environment for them, too.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The funny thing is, the Maloofs really tried to make this community stop caring about the team in an effort to move.

- Let everything go at the arena. Everything. Seats were falling apart, the bathrooms have holes in the walls, the food is awful.

- Had a fire sale and got the salaries down to the league minimum - they would have offloaded more if the NBA allowed it. 

- sold draft picks for cash(!). This is inexcusable, especially when you could trade up in a draft, or actually draft someone.

- Lampooned every arena deal. Remember Q&R? 

I can't wait for the new season. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a couple thousand season tickets in the next couple days.

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

If I were Vivek Ranadive, I'd get my Lamborghini - the one I keep here for running errands - painted team colors.

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Looking for a job? Tons being posted today!

https://twitter.com/workforthekings

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#7 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Bring back the old logo and colors! The whole purple thing was a 90's fad, too.

Don't forget the rest of the leadership there when they clean house. Whoever is in charge of ticket and season ticket holders need to be kicked to the curb. In only a couple years, those two have alienated just about every long-time season ticket holder they had. Their sales depended on new suckers and the fire-sale discount tickets throughout the season.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#8 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Bring back the old logo and colors! The whole purple thing was a 90's fad, too.

NO! ;-) I love the purple. :-)

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#9 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I like the colors purple & black just because purple is a "royal" color. Royalty wears purple.

The only benefit of returning to red & blue is that it matches the seats, but that is temporary. Black is a pretty neutral color in sports and I think the seats in the new arena should be black.

#10 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

I like the colors purple & black just because purple is a "royal" color. Royalty wears purple.

The only benefit of returning to red & blue is that it matches the seats, but that is temporary. Black is a pretty neutral color in sports and I think the seats in the new arena should be black.

If only that were the reason why they chose it. Purple was just one of the "in" colors in the 90s. So were dark red, burgundy-like colors. Did you know that the new Kings colors were almost burgundy and gold? Bleh! At least the Niners recently corrected their 1996 bandwagon-color phase.

Anyway, regardless of color heritage, I'd be curious to see a fan poll on the colors. Better yet, a sales report would be a more accurate poll.  Excluding actual jerseys, there seems to be a whole lot more non-purple Kings gear being made and sold than purple Kings gear. I have a throwback warm-up from '85 or '86 and people always ask me where they can get it and say they like the old colors better. When they have gear in the store with the throwback colors and logo, they typically sell out pretty fast. It's possible that it's just because it is a temporary throwback thing, but all roads seem to lead fans away from Rome and their royal purple garb.

"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#11 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

All I can think of is them trying to create a look like the Raiders.....ewwwwwwww....

#12 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

If only that were the reason why they chose it. Purple was just one of the "in" colors in the 90s. So were dark red, burgundy-like colors. Did you know that the new Kings colors were almost burgundy and gold? Bleh! At least the Niners recently corrected their 1996 bandwagon-color phase.

Anyway, regardless of color heritage, I'd be curious to see a fan poll on the colors. Better yet, a sales report would be a more accurate poll.  Excluding actual jerseys, there seems to be a whole lot more non-purple Kings gear being made and sold than purple Kings gear. I have a throwback warm-up from '85 or '86 and people always ask me where they can get it and say they like the old colors better. When they have gear in the store with the throwback colors and logo, they typically sell out pretty fast. It's possible that it's just because it is a temporary throwback thing, but all roads seem to lead fans away from Rome and their royal purple garb.

You make a compelling point! As long as the stadium seating doesn't clash with the colors of the team, I wouldn't be too opposed to it. It will be interesting to see if the design is done in a public way. Mark Cuban is doing this right now, but he's offending the design community by not promising to pay anyone for designs!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users