16 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

We've decided to get our 7yo son evaluated for autism spectrum. Does anyone have any advice? I know that UC Davis and Sutter both have autism programs. Is one better than the other? Or is there somewhere else we should go?

Any other advice would be great. I'm kind of numb so I don't even know what else to ask.

Thanks,

Nancy

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

I have no personal experience with autism, but have heard great thing about the MIND Institute at U. C. Davis. http://www.ucdmc.ucd.../mindinstitute/ . It's worth checking out. Good for you for getting your son checked out. Knowing whether he does have a disorder on the autism spectrum and, if so, specifically where he is will be a huge step in the direction of knowing how best to help him fulfill his potential.

Ask if they have any support groups for parents. I'm sure the feeling of numbness isn't unusual, especially when you are first learning the diagnosis. And read everything you can about current research and advances with autism spectrum disorders.

{{{{{Nancy}}}}}
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:58 PM

We've decided to get our 7yo son evaluated for autism spectrum. Does anyone have any advice? I know that UC Davis and Sutter both have autism programs. Is one better than the other? Or is there somewhere else we should go?

Any other advice would be great. I'm kind of numb so I don't even know what else to ask.

Thanks,

Nancy

I googled folsom autism and found this.

Autism Evaluation Clinic
1002 River Rock Drive, Folsom, CA 95630-2094

(916) 987-1019 ‎

It's up in the business complex where Scott's Seafood is located. It might be more convenient than UCD for a first opinion.

#4 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

We had our 7 year old daughter evaluated at the U.C. Davis MIND Institute. We had to be referred to them by her pediatrician. Once referred it takes a long while before they send paperwork that needs to be filled out and sent back in. Once you send in the paperwork, you wait some more and then they call you to set up an appointment. The first appointment we went to was to determine what tests were needed for my daughter. The second appointment was for the testing and lasted about 4 hours. The doctors had me observe the testing from another room. They determined that my daughter was not on the autism spectrum, but did display certain behaviors that are autistic like. The doctors at the MIND Institute were very patient, nice and helpful. They answered any questions I had. My only complaint is how long it actually takes to get an appointment. The wait time can take a couple of months or more.

#5 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

Good for you for having him evaluated. I know two people who have autistic children, and the one thing I can tell you is to KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. If he is indeed on the spectrum, there are programs for him and there are certain rights you need to be aware of. I'm not an expert so I don't want to give specifics, but start doing your research now.

And *hugs* to you...I'm sure this is a difficult time for your family. My thoughts are with you.

#6 Gina99

Gina99

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thanks,

Nancy

I just sent you a message through MyFolsom

Gina

#7 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks everybody for the support and encouragement. We've got our referral request in at UC Davis. I tried to call the Autism Eval Clinic and the number's disconnected. The waiting list for UC Davis can be months, but that seems to be the place to go. My husband's cousin's son was diagnosed on the spectrum last year and she said the wait wasn't nearly as long as they expected, but it might have just been lucky timing.

The wait for the eval is going to be frustrating but he already has some therapies going. He's in speech, social skills and OT at school, and has more OT through Burger Pediatric PT. So we've been skirting around the autism question for quite some time.

Denial - it ain't just a river in Egypt.

Sigh...

Nancy

#8 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have two cousins diagnosed with autism. One mild and one severe. The last time I spoke with my aunt and uncle, they had high praise for the UCD MIND Institute.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#9 ucjanice

ucjanice

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:44 AM

Dr. Maria Moleski, child Neuropsychologist, evaluated and diagnosed my son with several language based disorders. We've had 2 evaluations performed 2 years apart and Dr. Moleski's reports and explanations have proven to be invaluable. She takes no shortcuts. She's specially trained in her field and I share copies of her reports with my son's teachers and pediatrician. Google her..good luck.

#10 twnkltoz

twnkltoz

Folsom writer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:writing, reading, horses, dancing (Argentine Tango, West Coast Swing, and Ballroom)

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:30 AM

Any update, Nancy?

#11 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

Thanks ucjanice, I will look into seeing Dr. Moleski. She sounds great. :)

Update: Well, right now it's lots of paperwork, so we're on the next step of the process. I was surprised that we got the paperwork so quickly. I'm kicking myself for not writing down when he met all the developmental milestones in his baby book. I had the attitude at the time that nobody ever looks at their baby book to read that stuff anyway. Nobody told me there would be a pop quiz.. :) I do know that it was all typical other than his communication. Other than when he pulled himself up to stand at barely six months old and never looked back.

Anyway.. Yep. We have our intake appt the middle of May, which is where they let us know what testing he needs, ask us questions about stuff on our paperwork and schedule the testing appointment(s).

Nancy

#12 KoMbAse

KoMbAse

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

http://www.sacrament...caltesting.com/

I will put Dr. Granados in Folsom against ANY Autism/Spectrum "expert" in Folsom, sacramento area. She was personally recruited to the Miind Institute from Southern, CA.

Dr. Regina Granados CA PSY 21246 & Clinical Associates have developed a unique approach to serve patients and families. We are pleased to offer you and your family a "Multi-Person Clinical Team." Our Clinical Team approach ensures that a member of the Clinical Team is always on staff and available. The Clinical Team approach is unique to the Sacramento Area, and generally only found in hospital settings. We look forward to serving you: Dr. Regina Granados, Dr. Marc Palmer, Ms. Nicolette Bautista MA, Mr. Beau Duvall MA, Ms. Karen Fagestrom MA, Mr. Jayson Gawthorpe.

Dr. Granados believes that patients benefit most when they are evaluated, assessed, and treated by multiple clinical team members rather than one therapist. Our Clinical Team collaborates on patient diagnosis, treatment plans, and counseling. This affords the patient the benefit of various perspectives, personalities, and specialties that can not be duplicated elsewhere.

#13 sacramentopsychiatry

sacramentopsychiatry

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

[quote name='KoMbAse' timestamp='1309980199' post='421045']
http://www.sacramentopsychologicaltesting.com/

I will put Dr. Granados in Folsom...

:D: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REMINDING FOLSOMITES THAT WE HAVE GREAT PROFESSIONALS IN FOLSOM. This is Dr. Granados (formerly Autism Evaluation Clinic on River Rock Drive, relocated to Central Folsom 785 Orchard Drive # 100, 916-984-4300, across from the Aquatic Park).

Parents have many options that often are not fully discussed, I'll break down each option below - It's long but has a lot of information and will save parents time understanding the differences. Long Post but well worth the information:

School - School Districts do not give diagnosis, they assess to determine if a student meets an eligiblity classification according to the California Code of Education (Title 5). This is free and searchable on the cde.ca.gov website. Many different eligibilities are considered - Speech Language Impairment, Other Health Impairment, Orthopedic, Specific Learning Disability, Emotional Disturbance, Mental Retardation /Intellectual Disability and Autistic-like Behaviors [this is not a Diagnosis of Autism, it only means that Autistic-like behaviors affect the student's ability to "access" his/her education]. Smaller School Districts "share" special education funds within a larger group called a SELPA (this is true for El Dorado County, Placer, Yolo, and Sacramento). Folsom-Cordova is an exception they created their "own SELPA" to keep special ed funds in Folsom and Rancho Cordova.

Health Insurance / Pediatrician - I wrote an article for Sacramento Parent (can be googled) on speaking to your Pediatrician about Special Needs. Many Pediatricians are equally frustrated. Most refer to "Alta Regional Center" and assume that Insurance does not cover Autism/Asperger's Testing. Alta does offer free testing (I am a contracted Evaluator) however the child/adolescent needs to have suspected "life-long needs for supervision and management." (Just like OBGYN) There is NO NEED to get a referral for Psychological Testing, Neuropsycholgical Assessment, Counseling - a law was passed several years ago to allow Insurance Subscribers to SELF-REFER for Mental Health (there is no need for your PCP to refer even if you have an HMO). Not all insurance plans will authorize enough testing hours to evaluate for Autism Spectrum. It depends on each individual plan.

ALTA Regional Center - 978-6400, is independent and receives funds from the state to evaluate and provide case management for individuals with life-long developmental disabilities (Mental Retardation, Autistic Disorder, etc...).

UC Davis MIND Institue - Has two wings (Clinic and Research). The Clinic does require a referral from your Pediatrician. They review the referral and determine if they will accept the case. The Research side often provides assessments for the purpose of research studies (but this is not a diagnosis), it will not be accepted by the school district, regional center, or SSI.

Sutter Neuroscience Center (Dr. Chez, Dr. Kahn, etc...) - Are a team of Neurologists (MD's) and also have Neruopsychologists. There is about a 3-4 month wait for their in-house Neuropsychologist. Dr. Chez, Dr. Kahn, and Dr. Raina all refer patients who need quicker turn around time to Dr. Granados & Clinical Team for testing.

Kaiser has Autism Clinic - Staffed by Developmental Pediatrician and several Psychologists open to Kaiser Members.

Developmental Behavioral Pediatrician - These are specialized Pediatricians with additional training and experience evaluating for Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Not all insurance plans cover this specialty.

GENERAL INFORMATION - There is a "Standard of Care / Best Practice Model" that Regional Center will require to accept a private diagnosis. Psychologists and Neuropsychologists who have practiced in the field understand what the requirements are for Best Practices (this includes use of ADOS and other specific tests). Research is moving toward finding Genetic and Health factors that influence Autism Spectrum Disorder, but there is no blood test, brain imaging, etc... that "tests" for Autism.

(Thanks for those who are still reading this, I know it's long). I (Dr. Granados) has over 12 years experience in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (apart from other common issues like Anxiety, Social Skills). I (Dr. Granados) was on the Board of Directors for Autism Society of Los Angeles and has a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Autism. Before moving, she owned a large clinic that provided ABA (behavior therapy), Floortime, Social Skills, and 1:1 Special Education Aides (for LA Unified).

What most people don't know is that I know first-hand what it is like to have a child with special needs. My youngest son has a Developmental Disability and Folsom has been GREAT to us.

In Los Angeles we had unsolicited jeers, remarks, rude comments, jokes made about his speech and walking. In Folsom, there is a sense of community and respect that is hard to find elsewhere.

Good Luck finding an Evaluator who fits your needs and your child's needs. Not all Psychologists or Neurologists are good matches. You need to find a good match (personality wise and approach) for your family.

[Types of Payment Options for Testing] -
1) Alta is Free but the applicant has to meet certain requirements (no low income requirement)
2) Health Insurance (APS, Blue Shield, Cigna, Magellan, MHN, MHSA, Sutter Select, United Health, UBH, Value Options) - Call the 800/877 number listed on the back of the insurance card to get the names of "Psychological Testers" who are in-network for your plan. Call around to estimate wait-times and experience.
3) School - Free but remember it is NOT a diagnosis, it is an eligibility classification to help the student in school (this has no impact on behaviors at home). Some parents are misinformed to believe that they have to first meet for a Student Study Team (SST) before they can request an IEP evaluation. This is can not be legally enforced. Per CA Code of Education, parents can request assessment in suspected areas of educational disability (but the request has be to in writing, dated, and specify what the suspected disability is, and what areas need to be tested).

That's a great deal of information that is hard to come by. I inserted a link to the Sacramento Parent Article (if that is against the forum rules, I apologize, I am not sure if it violates moderator terms).

Dr. G & Clinical Team
785 Orchard Drive # 100
Folsom, CA 95630
916-984-4300
web: www.folsompsychologist.com

(If you plan to use Regional Center Funds, the referral appointment must come from the Regional Center. We accept most major insurance plans not including Anthem, Medicare, and Medical. Not all plans cover Testing, but they do cover consultation and counseling)

#14 Folsom4Now

Folsom4Now

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with family, reading, many other things.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

I haven't been to these boards in a very long time but I hope you are definitely getting the help that you need for your child and things are going better for your whole family <3
"I love when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, one spirit" -Khalil Gilbran

#15 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

Thanks everybody. :) I never realized there were so many options in the area. For now I'm just going to stay on the path we're on with the MIND institute, but once the testing is done I'll re-evaluate. I'm not afraid of a second opinion if I feel that it's necessary. Thanks Sacramento Psychiatry for posting here. You posted great info. Even if it's not something I take advantage of, sooo many parents will benefit from the info. I really appreciate it.

We're also going to be moving in a couple of weeks. Okay, 12 days. Which is fine. We had to do a short sale, so we're going to be downsizing. Which is fine. Sucks, but it's fine. Yea..

Did I mention that it's fine? Because it is. It's totally fine.

Aaaaaanyway..

We've enrolled both of our kids in a homeschool charter (Visions in Education which is part of San Juan Unified School District). We'll probably be moving a few times these next couple of years (inlaws, apartment, rental, rental, rental..), which is hard for any kid, but I think that my son would have an especially hard time changing schools, teachers and peers. So homeschool it is. We know several homeschoolers and are hooked into a few good groups, so it will work out fine. (Did I say fine again?) We'll reevaluate once we get settled into one place again. We're completely aware that our son needs additional social interaction, so we are keeping that in mind. My husband's cousin's son who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS is involved with a social group that actually meets here in Folsom, so we might be able to get plugged in with them. Karate has also been great for him. He's surprisingly coordinated for his age at the karate classes he just started. The charter also has a lot of field trips and activities, and there are co-op classes.

Yep..

Tense is what I am. Which is fine.

Carp..

Honestly, I'm fine.

Nancy

P.S.: What..? I'm fine. Geez...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users