46 replies to this topic

#31 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Just curious - you didn't have that response to anyoen else - only my response got "Didn't you know that before you moved here". I find it strange that that is your response. Of course I knew it when I moved here, but that's not the point.
The point is the OP asked what we wish Folsom had more of, and that was my answer. Yes, I can go to Sac, but like others have noted, I prefer to stay in my community. I was just saying it would be nice to have some diversity, and your response, honestly, was a bit snarky.

I don't know about snarky, but I understand where 4thgen is coming from. You didn't only say it would be nice to have some diversity. You made a list of affluent, white, conservative, Christian, as though there is something wrong with those things. Those adjectives wouldn't really describe the part of Folsom I live in so I guess it depends on what part of Folsom you decide to settle in.

I hear a lot of people say they want diversity, but I think what they mean is they want things to be like the "It's a Small World" ride at Disneyland yet would never consider living near an affordable housing complex or in the older sections of town where they would be exposed to true socioeconomic diversity.

#32 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Just curious - you didn't have that response to anyoen else - only my response got "Didn't you know that before you moved here". I find it strange that that is your response. Of course I knew it when I moved here, but that's not the point.
The point is the OP asked what we wish Folsom had more of, and that was my answer. Yes, I can go to Sac, but like others have noted, I prefer to stay in my community. I was just saying it would be nice to have some diversity, and your response, honestly, was a bit snarky.

I always wonder what attracts people to an area and then belittle it for being what it is.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#33 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

No one is belittling anything about Folosm. You guys are a bit senstitive. Me thinks I touched a nerve? Sorry about that.
I am just saying it would be nice to see some color around here. I love Folosm, but (again) my point is, the OP asked what we want, and my answer is a bit more diversity. I would like my children to have black/asian/etc. friends and classmates, to eat (authentic natch!) Korean food and to go to greek festival, right here in town.
I don't think anyone is belittling Folsom here. You guys need to take a chill pill.

This is why I rarely inteact on this forum - it's almost like you purposely overact just to get a rise out of poeple or derail the thread.

#34 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

No one is belittling anything about Folosm. You guys are a bit senstitive. Me thinks I touched a nerve? Sorry about that.
I am just saying it would be nice to see some color around here. I love Folosm, but (again) my point is, the OP asked what we want, and my answer is a bit more diversity. I would like my children to have black/asian/etc. friends and classmates, to eat (authentic natch!) Korean food and to go to greek festival, right here in town.
I don't think anyone is belittling Folsom here. You guys need to take a chill pill.

This is why I rarely inteact on this forum - it's almost like you purposely overact just to get a rise out of poeple or derail the thread.

gee, I was going to say the same thing! :)

#35 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Think what you want.

We used to have a Greek festival here. I've been to it at the community center. St. Anna's built in Roseville and now they have it over there, which makes sense.

You ignore that we already do have diversity here. Whatever. My children and I have friends that are East Indian, African-American, Lebanese, Mexican, Asian, you name it. Of course, I allowed them to choose their own friends and didn't make them a grocery list.

#36 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

One thing I thing is missing in Folsom is identity. I think Folsom is growing fast and we need a sense of identity.

#37 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

One thing I thing is missing in Folsom is identity. I think Folsom is growing fast and we need a sense of identity.

Folsom has a lot of history. History usually creates our identity. I think a lot of people would feel more connected here if they knew the history of the place where they live. But that takes time.

#38 femmesavante

femmesavante

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Homeschooling, cooking, theatre....

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

for instance?

Well, since you asked... Freefall Stage is opening their show, "A Little Princess" this weekend. It's adapted from the novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Prices are fairly reasonable for a theatrical production and they give discounts for seniors, students and children. My daughters happen to be in this one, but I have seen a few performances there with all adults and I have to say it has always been an enjoyable community theater experience!

Here's a link to the Folsom Telegraph's write-up on the show. http://folsomtelegra...ub_type&town_id

#39 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Really? The three overpasses to 50 seem enormous and very slick to me, so do both of the 4-lane bridges. I suppose there will eventually be another one on Oak someday. The plain fact is that downtown Sacramento is five suburbs away from here, a long drive. Placerville is a similar if emptier distance. There's nothing in particular in the burbs in between that you can't also get here, unless you really want Arby's.

Psht---- takes me over an hour to go to school. Nearly entirely by freeway, 27 miles.

Speed LIMIT is 65. Actual speed of vehicles for 45 minutes of drive= 0.

This is not the burbs. This is a piss poor freeway connectors planned out and not redeveloped to handle the influx of population growth.

#40 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

for instance?

Theatre places? There are two churches in town that give theatre lessons to children, there is three stages, and Folsom College. There is also at least two theatre places in carmichael, one rancho, two in Roseville...

We actually have lots of theatre. On the street, like in San francisco- not so much. I love mimes and stuff.

As for the city history...Thre is next to no effort made to educate the city at large ( not beyond the fifth graders mandatory gld miners history lessons) to educate the public on the rich history and culture in this area. NOT to mention the Indians from this area.

I think it would be pretty awesome from a cultural arts perspective...to see some of that placed in the cities [arks... Statues of miners, replica trains they play on, Tee Pees ( or hwatever the indians o fthis region lived in.

And some old stuff at a park the kids can pretend they are electrical power engineers for the dam and stuff.....

#41 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

Think what you want.

We used to have a Greek festival here. I've been to it at the community center. St. Anna's built in Roseville and now they have it over there, which makes sense.

You ignore that we already do have diversity here. Whatever. My children and I have friends that are East Indian, African-American, Lebanese, Mexican, Asian, you name it. Of course, I allowed them to choose their own friends and didn't make them a grocery list.

My goodness, the word choces that you use.... "You ignore" and "grocery list"...very confrontational wording. In fact the whole post is just reading snarky. That is so hard to look past when I want to respond. Do you always talk way? Is this your intention? or is it the nature on typing on online boards?

Again - my point was, I wish we had MORE diversity. I never said we didn't have ANY. Sheesh. I'm done with this.

Theatre places? There are two churches in town that give theatre lessons to children, there is three stages, and Folsom College. There is also at least two theatre places in carmichael, one rancho, two in Roseville...

We actually have lots of theatre. On the street, like in San francisco- not so much. I love mimes and stuff.

As for the city history...Thre is next to no effort made to educate the city at large ( not beyond the fifth graders mandatory gld miners history lessons) to educate the public on the rich history and culture in this area. NOT to mention the Indians from this area.

I think it would be pretty awesome from a cultural arts perspective...to see some of that placed in the cities [arks... Statues of miners, replica trains they play on, Tee Pees ( or hwatever the indians o fthis region lived in.

And some old stuff at a park the kids can pretend they are electrical power engineers for the dam and stuff.....

Totally off topic, but as a kid we lived in San Francisco for a few years. Right down the street was the Pickle Family Circus. They used to let us kids pop in and watch and even interact for free. It was pretty cool.

I know Folosm is too small to support some of the ideas we all have had on this thread, but they are good ideas.

Agreed about history...I'm lazy about these tings - I'm going to make a better effort to be better for my kids and teach them about the area.

#42 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

My goodness, the word choces that you use.... "You ignore" and "grocery list"...very confrontational wording. In fact the whole post is just reading snarky. That is so hard to look past when I want to respond. Do you always talk way? Is this your intention? or is it the nature on typing on online boards?

Again - my point was, I wish we had MORE diversity. I never said we didn't have ANY. Sheesh. I'm done with this.

I'm sorry you don't like my phrasing. I didn't much care for yours either.

Back to the OP, mhawkins, are you asking in relation to a certain age? I understand there is always that challenge for stay-at-home parents to find stimulating things to do without necessarily having to sign up for something and pay a fee. When I first moved here we ended up forming an informal mommy & me group just through meeting at the park.

For older children, I know there are a lot of structured groups that do community service, but I wonder if there is something that could be organized regarding matching teens up with seniors that need help with small tasks maintaining their homes. This is just off the cuff because I haven't thought it through completely, but I just see so many young people walking the neighborhood that seem lost. I think if they could help with something they visibly did in their community it would help make them connected. Maybe some park & rec courses that dealt with teaching basic handyman type things for teens?

#43 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

This is not the burbs..

Umm, yes, this is the 'burbs.

#44 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

For older children, I know there are a lot of structured groups that do community service, but I wonder if there is something that could be organized regarding matching teens up with seniors that need help with small tasks maintaining their homes.

When my daughter was younger she volunteered at Creekside Oaks. She served meals in the dining area and assisted a few seniors with minor tasks, such as writing letters. They and other senior centers might still offer this kind of volunteer experience.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#45 mhawkins

mhawkins

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm sorry you don't like my phrasing. I didn't much care for yours either.

Back to the OP, mhawkins, are you asking in relation to a certain age? I understand there is always that challenge for stay-at-home parents to find stimulating things to do without necessarily having to sign up for something and pay a fee. When I first moved here we ended up forming an informal mommy & me group just through meeting at the park.

For older children, I know there are a lot of structured groups that do community service, but I wonder if there is something that could be organized regarding matching teens up with seniors that need help with small tasks maintaining their homes. This is just off the cuff because I haven't thought it through completely, but I just see so many young people walking the neighborhood that seem lost. I think if they could help with something they visibly did in their community it would help make them connected. Maybe some park & rec courses that dealt with teaching basic handyman type things for teens?

Actually Oak Hills church is very involved in the community and some members volunteer to do just that... They help older community members with tasks around the house.
A mommy and me group is a good idea! : )

I have also heard about the teen center in the sports complex, that might be a good outlet or gathering place for teens. We are not at the teenage years just yet though...Thank goodness! Don't know if I am ready for that ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users