23 replies to this topic

#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

hmm, no. I had chickens that would absolutely go nuts when they see rattlers. On the other hand, the California King Snakes (natural enemy of the rattler) will definitely absorb an entire nest of eggs. For some reason (possibly the constriction threat) chickens will back down from a king snake. I've seen hens surround a rattler and refuse to let it out of their sight and peck it to death (hen suicide).

Gopher snakes really love chicken eggs, (or maybe garden snakes?), Great defense against snakes is too throw Wet moth balls into your yard.

thanks, Supermom. I have hesitated to get chickens because of the rattlesnake issue. I get at least three of them in my yard each year and I was worried the smell of the chickens might attract the snakes looking for little animals to gobble up. Sounds like chickens are like cats; they put up a red flag when they see one so you know the snake is there and you can come deal with it.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Well then look up silkie chickens.....

It seems they are also a delicacy in China...
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#18 Fritz

Fritz

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

...yay resurrecting old topics. :) We've had chickens through the summer and winter. There's a green belt behind the house which has been getting built up... I expected to have snakes flood in to get away from the construction, but it just hasn't happened. I was reaaaally surprised to notice the chickens actually chase after and eat lots of critters that we normally have. We used to have wild rats (always trying to steal food from the bird feeders) and lizards...not anymore. I don't think snakes are a huge worry. If you want a lap-pet I'd look elsewhere, though. They are neat, but they don't exactly have a lot of personality.

#19 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Believe it or not, they do kinda have a personality. . .They are very attached to eachother and chirp like crazy if we take one out without the other. One is very laid back, will let us pick her up, comb her w/a toothbrush, the other one is shy and tries to get away when the kids are going to pick her up. . .I will have Gia post some pics. . .

...yay resurrecting old topics. :) We've had chickens through the summer and winter. There's a green belt behind the house which has been getting built up... I expected to have snakes flood in to get away from the construction, but it just hasn't happened. I was reaaaally surprised to notice the chickens actually chase after and eat lots of critters that we normally have. We used to have wild rats (always trying to steal food from the bird feeders) and lizards...not anymore. I don't think snakes are a huge worry. If you want a lap-pet I'd look elsewhere, though. They are neat, but they don't exactly have a lot of personality.

When living in Folsom?

#20 Organic Ken

Organic Ken

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

I love chickens, we have several and they have great personalities. And yes they do keep the rattlers away! A good coop and fenced pen is a must. We let ours out in the afternoon to let them eat the bugs, etc in the yard until dusk. Chickens are neat because at dusk they always return to their roost (coop) then we close them up for the night.

Here's our coop
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the bonus is you can add the droppings to the compost pile!!! adds nitrogen to the compost tea!

OrganicKen.com
Posted Image

Organic compost tea applications for a healthier, greener lawn.

Ken Hazelet (Organic Ken)
916-350-4108
info@OrganicKen.com

#21 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

I love chickens, we have several and they have great personalities. And yes they do keep the rattlers away! A good coop and fenced pen is a must. We let ours out in the afternoon to let them eat the bugs, etc in the yard until dusk. Chickens are neat because at dusk they always return to their roost (coop) then we close them up for the night.

Here's our coop

And the bonus is you can add the droppings to the compost pile!!! adds nitrogen to the compost tea!

OrganicKen.com

nice photos, Ken! thanks for sharing.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#22 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I am glad to see you have outdoor chickens... we had them on my grandpas farm and they didn't seem to respond to obedience training, and if you brought a couple inside I would think pottie training would be a problem

#23 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

OrganicKen.com

Hi Ken,

Do you chickens here in Folsom or on your farm in Ione (or somewhere else)?

Thanks for sharing. Gotta love that compost tea! :)

#24 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

http://www.gotpetson...y-chicken-0004/

UGLY!! So ugly they are cute.

I wonder if they are blind? How can they see with that hair-do?!

Hi-They can definately see beyond the feathers growing around their eyes....The have no problem finding my beautiful black bark to scratch up and throw all over our pathways, nor do they have any trouble finding my colorful impatients that they eaten down to the ground...sniffle sniffle sniffle..... where is the "crying" icon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users