16 replies to this topic

#1 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Arco has a lower price on gas than Costco for the past few weeks. As of 12/15, Costco was $2.15 vs Arco at $2.11. Not that this is of any great consequence, but its a first, at least in my memory.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#2 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:43 AM

wow really surprised to hear that, but its good news - maybe other gas companies will follow the lead...

thanks for the note

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#3 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:55 AM

I'm surprised to hear that too. I'll be checking it out. 4 cents per gallon is quite a bit.
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#4 Brett911

Brett911

Hall Of Famer

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Dec 16 2005, 08:15 AM) View Post

Has anyone else noticed that Arco has a lower price on gas than Costco for the past few weeks. As of 12/15, Costco was $2.15 vs Arco at $2.11. Not that this is of any great consequence, but its a first, at least in my memory.

is the 4 cent diff the same between all grades of gas (premium, 91 octane)?
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld

#5 Sonny

Sonny

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE(Silverado @ Dec 16 2005, 08:15 AM) View Post

Is that the ARCO way out off Auburn/Folsom Road, or is there an Arco in Folsom area I'm forgetting about.

#6 titusan

titusan

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Just remember that ARCO charges 35 cents (I think) to use your ATM card, which is the only way you can pay - that adds about 2-3 cents per gallong. No fee at Costco (other than your membership).

#7 tessieca

tessieca

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,292 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Sonny @ Dec 16 2005, 11:23 AM) View Post

Is that the ARCO way out off Auburn/Folsom Road, or is there an Arco in Folsom area I'm forgetting about.

On Folsom Blvd. near Blue Ravine (next to Mel's Diner).
"Sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident, teachers' unions have a long history of working against the interests of children in the name of job security for adults. And Democrats in particular have a history of facilitating this obstructionism in exchange for campaign donations and votes." . . .Amanda Ripley re "Waiting for Superman" movie.

#8 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(Brett911 @ Dec 16 2005, 10:10 AM) View Post

is the 4 cent diff the same between all grades of gas (premium, 91 octane)?

I can't remember the premium price at Arco, but its $2.35 at Costco.

QUOTE(ashleeesq @ Dec 16 2005, 11:48 AM) View Post

Just remember that ARCO charges 35 cents (I think) to use your ATM card, which is the only way you can pay - that adds about 2-3 cents per gallong. No fee at Costco (other than your membership).

You can pay with cash at Arco.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#9 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(ashleeesq @ Dec 16 2005, 11:48 AM) View Post

If this is true then ARCO is not 4 cents cheaper. I always use atm and that is why I don't buy gas at ARCO.

#10 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(MSgt @ Dec 16 2005, 02:25 PM) View Post

If this is true then ARCO is not 4 cents cheaper. I always use atm and that is why I don't buy gas at ARCO.

I LOVE Arco. I can put my $20 in the machine, pump my gas, and leave without ever having to go inside. I NEVER use a credit card or ATM card at a gas station and hate having to go inside to pay cash.

Why are people so opposed to using cash? I know it's just a mind-game thing, but it seems to help me budget better (once my cash is gone, I'm done spending).

#11 (cogswell)

(cogswell)
  • Visitors

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

did you ever realize, that with those cheap gas starions, the gas runs out quicker then say, cheveron, or 76. it may be priced cheaper, but it is not as good for your car, and in the end you are really paying the same amount, because the gas from costco, arco burn off quicker. but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

#12 DrKoz23

DrKoz23

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:15 PM

Actually I notice very little difference in the mileage from Arco/Costco/Sams Club gas as compared to Chevron and the other big names. Sorry to burst your bubble.

#13 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(cogswell @ Dec 16 2005, 03:58 PM) View Post

did you ever realize, that with those cheap gas starions, the gas runs out quicker then say, cheveron, or 76. it may be priced cheaper, but it is not as good for your car, and in the end you are really paying the same amount, because the gas from costco, arco burn off quicker. but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

I keep a mileage per gallon log and do not get less mileage per gallon if I use Arco. At 19 years old, my 86 Toyota keeps going, and going, and going . . . so the regular grade Arco gas doesn't seem to be hurting it. Just took it in for an oil change last week and was told I should be able to get another 100,000 to 150,000 miles out of it. smile.gif

#14 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(cogswell @ Dec 16 2005, 03:58 PM) View Post

Ha ha ha... you're a marketers dream! The "recipe" for gas is pretty much fixed. The only real difference between the different brands are any detergents, etc, that the expensive brands may add. Take those away and they are all the same.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#15 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE(SacKen @ Dec 18 2005, 01:53 PM) View Post

Ha ha ha... you're a marketers dream! The "recipe" for gas is pretty much fixed. The only real difference between the different brands are any detergents, etc, that the expensive brands may add. Take those away and they are all the same.

I bought the gas from the major oil companies (and paid more) for years because I thought it was better for my vehicle. It is an old wives tale. SacKen is right. I have a friend here at work that worked for the refinery. All the different gas companies (Shell, Chevron, Arco, etc...) get their gas from the same place. The same tank farm, which tanks are filled by the same gas pipeline It is the same gas. Once the tanker gets it to the station the station may add a little packet of additive into the tank (I think chevron says they add technachloride?). That is the only difference. It is the same gas. Now I go with the cheapest. Since I have a diesel I usually go to Tower on East Bidwell. I was very surprised.
I too thought I even got better gas milage from the "premium stations". I was wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users