1 reply to this topic

#1 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

A while back, I was driving on hwy 120, pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I happened to look at the clouds, and saw a perfect circle of blue sky with what appeared to be a couple concentric shockwaves in the surrounding clouds. The author in me pondered all sorts of causes with my mind settling on a micro meteorite or some kind of localized microwave phenomenon. I have spent many a day looking at the sky and have never seen anything remotely like it.

Oddly enough, there are suddenly tons of images of the "exceedingly rare" hole punch clouds (also called fallstreak formations). The hole I saw differed from these images as there was no wisp of ice falling in the middle.

Have any of you seen anything like this?

640px-HolePunchCloud.jpg

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#2 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

I've never seen anything like that, but I am fascinated by strange cloud formations.  It's pretty cool.

Have you seen images of that new cloud formation named undulatus asperatus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users