16 replies to this topic

#1 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

This posted in FB-Folsom Chat about 3 hrs ago, I just saw it.

:

I need help. I feel so absolutely defeated, and don't know what to do--it makes you like just giving up...

I need a 2 bedroom place, with some type of enclosed yard for my dog, and at least a single car garage to store my kayaks in. I have a fixed income and can afford rent around $1200ish.

We originally moved here from New York to get my daughter autism services--at this point I don't care I just need a place to live, I don't care what ZIP Code anymore---we just need help!! I have spent the last two months trolling craigslist Trulia and Zillow with no luck. My dog is a 4 time rescue I'm not giving her up. Please somebody must know somebody!!! Citrus Heights Loomis Auburn Folsom Placerville...please!!! Need help!

_____Pearli Van (Folsom Chat)

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

she should try Orangevale and Rancho Cordova.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:50 AM

There is a place listed on Zillow at 914 Bidwell St. for $1,150, 2 bd, 1 bath, fenced-in yard.  I don't know about a garage.

#4 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

I saw this yesterday and figured she could not be in that bad of shape. Either the daughter with autism comes first or the dog and the kayaks. She needs to re-prioritize and hold close what is important. Kayaks can be bought and sold at any time. Get rid of them and you don't need the garage and your search becomes easier. Same with the dog. I am sure its like part of the family, but if its holding you back from finding a place within your budget because you are requiring a yard maybe the dog has to be moved along. Easy to say from my viewpoint, but I always put family ahead of materialistic things. 

#5 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Our pets ARE our family.

#6 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Our pets ARE our family.

Some people are like that. Probably most people that live in the cities. Growing up with ranching and farming, dogs and cats had to provide a benefit or why else have them. Living in a city now, I could never subject a dog to being fenced in these small city backyards.  Never fed a cat. Lived on rats and mice in the barn. Dogs got fed because they worked the cattle, provided protection against predators and a general alarm around the ranch. Never could wrap my head around how people call them their fur babies and kids. Thats one step too far in my book.

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

I bet it was a great day around the Howdy house when you dragged your daughter's sheep off to slaughter!

#8 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

26 replies on FB chat with lots of good advice. 

Sounds like a very difficult position. Hope she finds something. 

#9 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Some people are like that. Probably most people that live in the cities. Growing up with ranching and farming, dogs and cats had to provide a benefit or why else have them. Living in a city now, I could never subject a dog to being fenced in these small city backyards.  Never fed a cat. Lived on rats and mice in the barn. Dogs got fed because they worked the cattle, provided protection against predators and a general alarm around the ranch. Never could wrap my head around how people call them their fur babies and kids. Thats one step too far in my book.

Sad. As science allows us to become educated about domesticated pets, attitudes change. However I have worked on working ranches and the dogs and cats, while having and enjoying their "job" also thrived being a part of the family. They were fed, loved and sheltered indoors away from extreme conditions. So, yeah, not just us "city folk" who have educated ourselves and learned from the science of the experts. 

#10 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

Sad. As science allows us to become educated about domesticated pets, attitudes change. However I have worked on working ranches and the dogs and cats, while having and enjoying their "job" also thrived being a part of the family. They were fed, loved and sheltered indoors away from extreme conditions. So, yeah, not just us "city folk" who have educated ourselves and learned from the science of the experts. 

agreed.  I had a friend who had a huge sheep operation in the Sutter Buttes.  His father started their operation in the 1910s and he continued until his death a few years ago.  His daughter and son-in-law continue it today.  You could not have been more true farm and ranch than that man.  He said his dog was the best friend he ever had.  

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#11 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

I've known people who treat their animals like objects and just leave them behind when they move or just send them to the pound when they get tired of the hassle.  I have no respect for people like that and don't associate with someone that would treat an animal like that.  A dog is a lifetime commitment and worth every minute of it!

I admire Olivia for taking that responsibility seriously.  Did it ever occur to you that the autistic child may have an important emotional attachment to the dog?  Maybe Olivia needs the dog to get through the really tough days.  She's just looking for a place to live.  Hope she finds one.  

"I wish I was half the person my dog thinks I am!!!"

#12 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:47 AM

I've known people who treat their animals like objects and just leave them behind when they move or just send them to the pound when they get tired of the hassle.  I have no respect for people like that and don't associate with someone that would treat an animal like that.  A dog is a lifetime commitment and worth every minute of it!

I admire Olivia for taking that responsibility seriously.  Did it ever occur to you that the autistic child may have an important emotional attachment to the dog?  Maybe Olivia needs the dog to get through the really tough days.  She's just looking for a place to live.  Hope she finds one.  

"I wish I was half the person my dog thinks I am!!!"

Pearlie Van...?

#13 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

I bet it was a great day around the Howdy house when you dragged your daughter's sheep off to slaughter!

If you are raising sheep there should be no surprise to anyone in the household why they are there. Did you raise the sheep to just have another mouth to feed and take care of or was the sheep there for a purpose? Does everyone think the food in the grocery store just magically appears on the shelf? When you wanted to have a chicken dinner there was no close store to run down to. You went and picked a chicken out and there was a meeting of the ax and the chicken neck. Then you got busy plucking feathers. That's why your parents always told you not to name the chickens. They are not your friends or your pets. They are your next meal when they are no longer producing eggs. 

#14 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:48 AM

If you are raising sheep there should be no surprise to anyone in the household why they are there. Did you raise the sheep to just have another mouth to feed and take care of or was the sheep there for a purpose? Does everyone think the food in the grocery store just magically appears on the shelf? When you wanted to have a chicken dinner there was no close store to run down to. You went and picked a chicken out and there was a meeting of the ax and the chicken neck. Then you got busy plucking feathers. That's why your parents always told you not to name the chickens. They are not your friends or your pets. They are your next meal when they are no longer producing eggs. 

Admin: and this has to do with the OP how????

#15 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

I thought the topic was trying to help find housing for a person in need , not whether to slaughter chickens and sheep. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users