76 replies to this topic

#16 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

you gotta fight fire with fire. get all the neighbors to make noise at 8am and party outside making reasonable noice...flipping her off might send a message as well. the fact that the police don't take her seriously is a point in your favor.

#17 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

How old is this woman?
Does she live alone?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#18 B&G

B&G

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

7:30 am is NOT too early for yard work if not using a blower and Lawn Mower..She is just jealous you have a life..calling the police.. she has nothing better to do! She probably gets off on pissing off the neighbors. I feel really sorry you have her as a neighbor.. YOU CAN BE ON YOUR PROPERTY ANYTIME YOU WANT DOING ANYTHING YOU WANT as Long as you are not disturbing the Peace... and yard work is not disturbing the Peace..
Being in hot tub after ten..She is too much…. Tell her to find another hobby!

I agree Fight fire with fire, and someone will get burned...maybe she will learn her lesson.

#19 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'm with Steve on this one. I would go make a sincere effort to be nice to her. Seriously. Yes, your home is your castle and you have every right to the enjoyment of your property within civil codes (I'm sure there are restrictions about certain decibels of sound before and after certain hours, Irish might be able to help with this one). but also remember that having a tiff with a neighbor will greatly reduce the enjoyment of your property. when you drive down the street coming home, you want to relax, not tighten up when you pass that lady's house.

I would go over with a plate of cookies or a bunch of flowers and introduce yourself (this is assuming you haven't really had a positive chance to meet and talk). You could say something like, "I'm sorry if the noise bothered you. I have a really tight schedule and it was going to be hot, so I got it done early, but I tried to be quiet. If I can ever help you out with anything around the house, just let me know. Its too bad our houses are all so close together, etc."

Its hard, I know, but sometimes being nice pays off big time!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#20 aubie84alum

aubie84alum

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Wait until 8, when it's legal. Don't use your phone outside. No one needs to know your business, nor do they want to. We all seem to speak more loudly on the phone. I don't know why. Just because she's a spinister doesn't make her a (censored). I think you hit it on the head when you started you story. She's a miserable person. There's nothing you can do to change it. Does she only complain about you? Is she jealous of your sucess? Yes, she's unreasonable. She's probably a lonely, miserable, jealous, biddy. How sad for her. How horrible for you.

#21 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

the city restricts noise from 10 pm to 7 am, doesn't matter what day of the week it is...

#22 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the city restricts noise from 10 pm to 7 am, doesn't matter what day of the week it is...

Good to know- I always thought Sat and Sunday were 8am- let the blowers go at 7 am - I can get done a lot earlier if I start early - and for those that do not know - we have our issues with the neighbors on both sides ... Their issues - not ours - LOL

Now as far as restrictions- is there a decibel level for after 10 ? ALL noise cannot possibly be restricted ...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#23 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm curious?

How does your neighbor know your mom?

Hey! I'll trade you neighbors! Honest-he has never called the cops on me........

#24 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (folsom500 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to know- I always thought Sat and Sunday were 8am- let the blowers go at 7 am - I can get done a lot earlier if I start early - and for those that do not know - we have our issues with the neighbors on both sides ... Their issues - not ours - LOL

Now as far as restrictions- is there a decibel level for after 10 ? ALL noise cannot possibly be restricted ...

I got what I could off the internet, so double check me. they did list dcb levels. the funny thing is, it depends on the duration of the sound (like for how many minutes) and then its supposed to be 5 dcb lower for the night time period.

still, try to be the bigger person and be nice to that neighbor. You really can turn people around if you try that.

#25 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (4thgenFolsomite @ Jul 26 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
still, try to be the bigger person and be nice to that neighbor. You really can turn people around if you try that.

Just remember it is a 2 way street -

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#26 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

I would think that she's in her early 50's (though she looks FAR older). I certainly would not call that age old, but her actions are that of a cranky old bat. My first encounter with her, she tells me to "get a life, princess". I'm going to be 35 this year. I'm flattered that she thinks I am so young.

QUOTE (Deb B @ Jul 26 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How old is this woman?
Does she live alone?

#27 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (folsom500 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just remember it is a 2 way street -

yes, but why not be the person who makes the effort first? I speak from experience. If you try and it doesn't work, at least you tried. life is short. be nice.

QUOTE (hv975 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would think that she's in her early 50's (though she looks FAR older). I certainly would not call that age old, but her actions are that of a cranky old bat. My first encounter with her, she tells me to "get a life, princess". I'm going to be 35 this year. I'm flattered that she thinks I am so young.

okay, just to play devil's advocate. what situation provoked her to say, "get a life, princess."

and, come on, spinster at 50? that's harsh. smile.gif

#28 hv975

hv975

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

She doesn't know my mother. My parents were visiting and she was yelling over the fence (again). I was putting my dog away and heard their conversation. My mother (the queen of peace making) couldn't even get this lady to quit her nagging.

This one time, my dad was trying to fix the fence that HER vines pulled down and rather than her be appreciative that he would do that work (without asking for a single penny), she dictated the time that he can start the work. This was last Summer...it was a scorcher of a day, she wanted him to start digging and doing that manual labor after 10am. And when he was unable to do the work because her time constraints didn't fit with his schedule, she nagged about it.
QUOTE (supermom @ Jul 26 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious?

How does your neighbor know your mom?

Hey! I'll trade you neighbors! Honest-he has never called the cops on me........

#29 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Every case is different. For this one, assuming we have all the info, I would just ignore her. Or if she starts yelling at you turn up your stereo and say "I can't hear you, the music is too loud".

#30 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (hv975 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She doesn't know my mother. My parents were visiting and she was yelling over the fence (again). I was putting my dog away and heard their conversation. My mother (the queen of peace making) couldn't even get this lady to quit her nagging.

This one time, my dad was trying to fix the fence that HER vines pulled down and rather than her be appreciative that he would do that work (without asking for a single penny), she dictated the time that he can start the work. This was last Summer...it was a scorcher of a day, she wanted him to start digging and doing that manual labor after 10am. And when he was unable to do the work because her time constraints didn't fit with his schedule, she nagged about it.

remember what I said earlier about the plate of cookies or a bunch of flowers, strike that! just ignore her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users