Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

Interesting, very interesting...?   

https://theconservat...comment-page-1/

California Governor Jerry Brown Quietly Admits Donald Trump is Right – Proposed Easing Logging Regulations…

CALIFORNIA August 2018 – Gov. Jerry Brown is proposing broad new changes to California’s logging rules that would allow landowners to cut larger trees and build temporary roads without obtaining a permit as a way to thin more forests across the state.

The proposal — which has the support of the timber industry but is being opposed by more than a dozen environmental groups — would represent one of the largest changes to the state’s timber harvesting rules in the past 45 years.

The legislative session ends for the year next Friday. On Thursday, the details were still being negotiated by legislative leaders and the governor’s office behind the scenes and had not yet been formally introduced in a bill or put up for a vote.

“They are trying to get to some kind of a deal,” said Rich Gordon, the president of the California Forestry Association, a timber industry group. “They are looking at what can get done politically.”

Under Brown’s proposal, private landowners would be able to cut trees up to 36 inches in diameter — up from the current 26 inches — on property 300 acres or less without getting a timber harvest permit from the state, as long as their purpose was to thin forests to reduce fire risk. They also would be able to build roads of up to 600 feet long without getting a permit, as long as they repaired and replanted them.

Timber industry officials say the changes are needed to cut red tape and increase incentives for landowners, particularly in the Sierra Nevada, to thin pine and fir forests that have become dangerously overgrown after 100 years of fire fighting. (Read more)

1A - 2A = -1A

#2 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:27 PM

Gov Brown is 80 yrs old. Is he finally finding honesty and common sense and ignoring political implications? Hopefully. Better late than never. But I still hate the man and all Democrats for what they've done to California. And don't get me started on the $100 billion dollar train to bankruptcy. Democrats are morons.

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

CA VOTERS are morons. They voted for the boondoggle...and pass nearly every bond (debt) with glee...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#4 Rose White

Rose White

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

While I've nursed my horrible cold, I've sat back and pondered every news item on TV about the Camp Fire. I think we're up to 82 verified deaths from it and counting. Last time I checked, there are still hundreds of people missing. A little voice in my head told me somethings not right about this fire. It burned so hot that things usually not affected by a normal fire, were melted to the ground. Hundreds of houses burned down to nothing. They said on one news report that not all the dead would be found! I guess their ashes will be among all the rest of the burnt items.

I understand about high winds and dry vegetation. But, something about this fire just isn't right. Then another news cast said we are to expect more of the same in the months ahead and maybe worse!  I looked at my husband and said, "Should we start packing? Should we sell the house and move out of California?"

Something's not right about all theses fires.The number of the dead will be staggering after they get them all counted. And I don't mind telling you, I'm afraid. I keep thinking this was an attack. By who, I don't know. But whoever was able to burn alive men, women and little kids, has got to be someone or something, without a soul.

#5 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

No attack.  Ever been near a dead christmas tree that ignites?  The air gap between nettles provides abundant airflow, and pine is a "softwood" that burns VERY quickly.  The heat output is phenomenal. Most household items will combust at 400 degrees or so.  The "typical" housefire burns at between 1000 and 2000 degrees. That is hot enough to melt lead, zinc, aluminum (and at the high end gold and silver).Even fire safes are usually only rated at 1500 degrees for 1 hour. 

My dad's house burned in one of the many Santa Barbara fires. Not a forest fire, but a very respectable 1500 degree fire. There was NOTHING left of his house other than a few metal tool parts. Just slab and ash. Last time we were down there, we got the 3 am emergency alert to evacuate because of yet another fire. My brother's neighbor lost his house in the ensuing mudslides. There is nothing unusual about semi arid mountains burning. Sadly, man is the cause of many of these (powered equipment sparks, homeless camps, power lines, etc).

A forest fire can burn at over 2200 degrees. Wood will spontaneously combust at around 600 degrees.  There was nothing "sinister" of targeted about this fire other than PGE's malfeasance. 

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#6 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:10 PM

242015_image.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users