98 replies to this topic

#91 YabYum

YabYum

Banned

• Banned
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jun 1 2005, 02:44 PM)
Do you drive a hybrid, YabYum?  If so, what model? 

no, not yet, but i am VERY interested in them, and plan to own one when i'm ready to purchase my next vehicle...

#92 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(YabYum @ Jun 1 2005, 01:45 PM)
am i wrong?

View Post

Unfortunately, yes, that is correct, you are wrong. At least in the sense that break even calculations are limited to the benefits of the decision maker.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#93 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(YabYum @ Jun 1 2005, 03:45 PM)
so you can recoup the costs of a hybrid's GAS usage within 23 years, but there is no way you can quantify how much you've benefited the environment during those 23 years. you can't put a price on that factor. especially if alternative-vehicles such as these become more accepted and used by the mainstream. if half the cars on the road were run with less dependence on oil, we ALL win. not just our pocketbooks, but our legacy..... am i wrong?

View Post

Yes, you are wrong.

I specifically chose two PZEV (partial zero emmissions vehicles)vehicles, one hybrid and one conventional, that have very similar "effects" on the environment.

#94 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:31 PM

Wow! Check it out! 250mpg on a 15g tank you can travel 3,750 or from Seattle, WA to Key West, FL on a single tank of gas..

Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg
By TIM MOLLOY, Associated Press Writer
57 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

CORTE MADERA, Calif. - Politicians and automakers say a car that can both reduce greenhouse gases and free America from its reliance on foreign oil is years or even decades away. Ron Gremban says such a car is parked in his garage.

It looks like a typical Toyota Prius hybrid, but in the trunk sits an 80-miles-per-gallon secret — a stack of 18 brick-sized batteries that boosts the car's high mileage with an extra electrical charge so it can burn even less fuel.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#95 CostcoLover

CostcoLover

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

GM Recalling 800,000 Pickups, SUVs
By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Tue Aug 30, 3:47 PM ET

WASHINGTON - General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it was recalling about 800,000 sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks in 14 northern states because corrosion was affecting the antilock brake system, leading to more than 200 low-speed crashes.

GM, the world's largest automaker, said the recall involved the 1999-2002 model years of the Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Sierra, GMC Yukon and GMC Yukon XL.

In separate moves, Hyundai Motor Corp. issued a recall of the 2006 Sonata sedan, and the government announced an investigation of the 2002 Jeep Liberty.
-- Albert Einstein--

California's Economy: Too Big To Fail?

#96 ranmori

ranmori

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

simulation credit auto

Great stuff. Thanks for the quality tutorial

#97 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Cloud9 @ Jul 8 2004, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those that might have been curious...

And the winner is...

Honda Accord Sedan EX V6

We found it had the best overall value (price intersecting safety, maintenance, fuel economy, etc...) even exceeding "Near Luxury or Entry Luxury" vehicles as the Acura TL and Lexus ES330. Yes, yes, we've heard it before, "You're comparing apples to oranges" - - Bull- - You can take apart all of the elements of the luxury vehicles by comparing fully loaded vehicles and then estimating the price on the "differentiators".

It just didn't add up for us. It may for some, but we suspect that for most they just don't go through the trouble.

Here are some highlights of the 2004 Honda Accord Sedan

"Best Overall Value of the Year, Midsize over $21,000" - IntelliChoice
Among the Best for Highest Retained Value
Among the Best for Lowest Depreciation
Among the Best for Lowest Fuel Costs in Its Class
Among the Best for Lowest Maintenance
Among the Best for Lowest Ownership Costs

For those of you researching new cars here are some good links:

IntelliChoice
Cars
CarsDirectKelley Blue Book
NADA
AutobytelAutovantage
Invoice Dealers

For maintenance and ownership costs (Total Cost of Ownership)

IntelliChoice

For safety and crash test results

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

For Fuel Economy / Emissions

Environmental Protection Agency
Ames Award

For those of you that are considering a Honda make/model, you should be aware that there are several recalls ongoing - the latest being related to the fluid level in the transmission. So be sure to have the dealer service the vehicle to bring it up to date on any existing recalls.

Now is a good time to pick up a Honda as it's towards the end of 2004 model year and their current automobile inventory levels are high so you should be able to get a good deal on the vehicle.

Hope this helps some of you. Happy shopping! biggrin.gif

The Honda Accord is a very good car! But just a heads up, I'm sure you already know it but the 2004 Accord & Acura TL are both chassis siblings, basically the same car different body. My mom drives an '04 TL, not sure how many miles are on it but they got in new from Niello Acura when they came out. It has been flawless and maintenance free since the day they brought it home. Couple of things I really like about my moms TL all the tech features and hands free gadgets that are standard and built into the car. I've driven it once or twice and one thing I like is that even though the TL is a front wheel drive, it magically feels and drives like a rear wheel drive car. Only thing I don't like about the TL is the rear seat is a little crammed, and I think the one thing slightly different over the Accords V6 is the 3.5L V6 in the TL has to run on premium fuel, I don't beilieve the 3.5L (same motor as TL) requires it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#98 Suburban Pool Service

Suburban Pool Service

MyFolsom Pool Janitor

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Suburban Pool Service
    P.O. Box 1627
    Folsom, Ca 95763

Supplies /Weekly Service / Satisfaction

on the web at
    weservicepools.com

(916) 792-4836
    email service@suburbanpoolsupply.com

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Orangetj @ Jun 1 2005, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you drive a hybrid, YabYum? If so, what model? I was actually seriously considering waiting for the Accord hybrid to come out to buy a new car, but my old car died and I decided to buy sooner rather than later. I just haven't been that interested in the hybrids available up until now, because I value comfort and effortless power too much (it's a sickness!). The Accord seems to marry those two items, but I've heard that it is actually getting poorer gas mileage than was originally reported.

As it is, I've got three vehicles - a supercharged 4 cylinder compact/mid-sized sedan, a full size SUV (Yukon) and a motorcycle. The bike and the sedan see the most day-to-day usage, but the Yukon does come out when it's time to go camping, to haul a bunch of stuff, to tow a boat or to take 5 or 6 friends out to dinner. With 6 people on board, I figure it's actually more efficient than taking two cars wherever we're going.

Hummm? unsure.gif Supercharged 4-Cylinder compact/mid-sized sedan, The only "sedan" I know of that was offered with a supercharged four are the 2001-05 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, the early W202 body style offered the same motor too. Other than that 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS? Do I win!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

weservicepools.com

#99 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Suburban Pool Service @ May 30 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hummm? unsure.gif Supercharged 4-Cylinder compact/mid-sized sedan, The only "sedan" I know of that was offered with a supercharged four are the 2001-05 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, the early W202 body style offered the same motor too. Other than that 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS? Do I win!

I would bet the C230 but it could be a Buick Regal GS or Pontiac Gran Prix if not your suggestions.

Tell us Wink, what have they won....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users