194 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

I'm sure you are all getting your notices to cut your water use by 20 percent.  This is going to be a tough year.  Trees were already stressed and they are going to be even more stressed next summer.  Everyone urge that jet stream to get back on track!!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

Folsom Lake water levels at near record low; City mandates 20% reduction in water use

Residents and businesses must reduce water use by 20 percent due to a city-wide Water Warning declared today by Folsom City Manager Evert Palmer.  

"Folsom Lake, our primary water source, is now at 21 percent capacity, a near record low," says Palmer. "This low water level, combined with critically dry weather conditions, necessitates immediate action to conserve water and protect our water supply."

Watering schedule & more

Please turn off sprinklers!
During cold winter months, landscapes need very little water, making this an easy time of year to achieve significant water savings.  Turn off sprinkers to save water and lower water bills.

http://origin.librar...g.23Dec2013.pdf

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

It really is funny how the city of Folsom controls the water.

They can water all the roads and have water running everywhere

and now they want us to cut back 20 percent.

STOP THE WATER GOING OVER THE DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut it off.

And we are still going to provide water for South of 50.   RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Why the heck did it take this long to do this? It' been pretty obvious for a few months now.

#5 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I was over at the lake yesterday..... not looking too good. 

IMG_1328.jpg

The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

The city, county and state just do not know what the heck they are doing when it comes to water.

#7 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

I agree with Nomad- why did they wait till the end of December to start this ?  Pretty lame is my guess...

Now the question - 20% of what ?  ...the highest month in the last year- ... just last month ?....   it is real clear - NOT !...

Also the two day a week schedule for non drip is not logical in many places ( like my yard). I have 14 different water zone in my yard with some that overlap others for specific reasons.  Normally , using a combination of drip,  low flow and normal sprinklers ( in some cases with all three on the same valve)  I typically water each zone for 2 hours with a few exceptions watering a couple for only an hour.

In order to avoid out flow through the french drains to the front yard and gutter, I space out the water over a 3-5 day period  ( hand watering the 40 potted plants as needed) . I have no Lawn front and only a postage stamp in the back. 

Based on my situation there is no way that I could do all the watering in just 2 days in a week--First there are just not enough hours and second, the lower ground would get over saturated and run off to the front.

I monitor my  water meter at least weekly and I keep track of every zone I water in a exel type form..

Other than the times that I have accidentally left a zone on overnight, my now metered monthy usage is at least 30%-to 40%  or more of my pre-metered usage.

Having said this , I have no plans to change my methods for some poorly defined conservation that some city bumpkin has put out...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#8 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

The current average outflow from Folsom Dam is about 1300 cubic feet per second, or about 10,000 gallons per second.  And they want us to save water.

http://cdec.water.ca.../queryDaily?FOL

The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#9 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

If people would just stop watering when it starts flowing into the gutter we'd all be a lot better off. There's a lot of waste out there folks.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

It really is funny how the city of Folsom controls the water.

They can water all the roads and have water running everywhere

and now they want us to cut back 20 percent.

STOP THE WATER GOING OVER THE DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut it off.

And we are still going to provide water for South of 50.   RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

No doubt! How hard is it to figure out when it's time to shut off the faucets?

If people would just stop watering when it starts flowing into the gutter we'd all be a lot better off. There's a lot of waste out there folks.

Fully agree! While out walking last night I noticed rivers of water flowing down the gutters due to run off from lawns being over watered.

People need to learn to reduce watering during winter months.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Agreed. This is a pet peeve of mine when I see neighbors doing this. It is worse when you see government-owned agencies having rivers running from their little strip lawns into the gutters. I turn off my sprinklers in the fall and watch my lawn. If it starts looking too dry I use a sprayer and hose. I get to say hi to neighbors passing by, watch for over-run and make sure I get the bad spots.

Dawn Grove

#12 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I've said this before, but my bro-in-law was visiting and went for a run in the morning. When he returned he asked me if everyone in Folsom waters their gutters. He was just astounded at the amount of runoff that we here take as normal and acceptable. (Before you think he's some enviro-liberal, he's an attorney and a Colonel in the Army.)

#13 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

well, just remember that we don't own the water in Folsom Lake.  We have rights to part of it.  But the environmental consequences of stopping water flowing out of the dam and drying up the American River (and leading to saltwater intrusion into the delta) are huge.  We won't die if our lawns dry up, but whole ecosystems would. 

if anything, this points out the importance of all of us being aware of Gov. Brown's attempt to build the tunnels taking water out of the delta and Sacramento River down to southern California.  now THAT is something we need to fight.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#14 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

The ONLY problem I have with this is we have already cut back the last month or so on our own. We turned off our sprinklers weeks ago and we are always very conscious of our water use. The only real waste we have is with our shower because we have a tankless water heater. It takes several minutes of running the water for it to get hot. In fact, we're installing a mini hot water heater under our bathroom sink today so that we can wash hands without running the water for 5 min. 

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#15 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

well, just remember that we don't own the water in Folsom Lake.  We have rights to part of it.  But the environmental consequences of stopping water flowing out of the dam and drying up the American River (and leading to saltwater intrusion into the delta) are huge.  We won't die if our lawns dry up, but whole ecosystems would. 

if anything, this points out the importance of all of us being aware of Gov. Brown's attempt to build the tunnels taking water out of the delta and Sacramento River down to southern California.  now THAT is something we need to fight.

Good grief Brown sure as heck better not proceed with that plan - is he completely insane?

He should read the history of former Owens Lake before he inflicts the same consequences on us and the delta.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users