8 replies to this topic

#1 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Has anyone attended a Sacramento State Football game recently?      Attending games since the 1980's,  I always have been disappointed with the lack of a "College Football atmosphere".   Something is missing at the Sacramento State games.   Consistent lack of attendance is the always plagued the football program.   The local high schools have better attendance at the local fields.   

Attending Sacramento State in the 1980's,  this issue was a major discussion.  I was attending student government meeting in the 1980's and one of the Student Government officials told me that they are recommending Sac State go from Division Two to Division One.   I told him other things need to be done first to solve the problem.     Going to Division One ended up happening a few years later but still the same problems exist.      

My observations is not enough students regularly attend the games.   You will see a few groups of students tailgating before the game.    

Another is the lack of citizens from Sacramento City and County.   Many of the spectators are Alumni or know an athlete on the field.

I think the lack of refined public facilities is the major factor effecting the Sacramento State Football atmosphere.    Alex Spanos and Anderson were very generous in donating money to upgrade Hornet Field for football and other major events.    The University missed an opportunity on allocating the resources.

In these pictures,  you will notice restricted area Balconies on the North and South end of the field.      Wasted space.    Balconies for the Staff/Alumni Association only.    They should opened the area up and built a public food court with the proper amenities.    Electrical power outlets with plumbing/running water.

What they do is have a bunch of food vendors with pop ups come in and serve food.      There is no running water and the university did not even set up power outlets for them.    They ran long power cords from inside the building to the vendors who did receive power.

At this game they brought in many food trucks from the area.  There was plenty of food.  In the third quarter I wanted to buy a espresso coffee or hot chocolate.    i could not fine any of these vendors selling these items.   This has been a problem in the past.     Lack in planning with the variety of foods available.      I have been at games where the only thing going is pizza in the box and they would run out until another vendor restaurant run was made. 

Another issue was the food trucks were all running generators and the exhaust could be noticed all the way up in the grandstands.   There combined cooking smell was mixed in and the building blocking the wind did not help.   Not a good set up.

Another is the restrooms.  They are temporary trailers and been there before the 1980's.     They should have made new fixed structure with flushing toilet restrooms when they initially had the money.    Hornet Stadium does not have the proper facilities to handle major events.   What do you think?

5uecGR7.jpg

m8qNv3R.jpg

244IHyu.jpg

vbp35iq.jpg

zpxA8LM.jpg

#2 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

What do you think?

I think you just had ideas to spend about a billion (of not your) dollars trying to turn friggin Sac State into Levi's Stadium! Please, it is what it is. We all know High School football rules around here so go to a Folsom game if you want a real experience.

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Nomad, calm down. I think he has some good points. I have been going to games since I was an undergrad and I would echo a lot of the same complaints. I think every year it improves a little, but yes, it still lacks atmosphere that you see in big-time schools. I think they seriously missed an opportunity when they built the Well. I still don't understand why they build a huge building next to the stadium and not incorporate shared restrooms - ones the students can use during the week, and fans can use during the game. It's almost as if they had their own budget and didn't want to work with the other groups ("not my problem").

The closed off areas I'm fine with; as far as I'm concerned those are like luxury boxes, you have to know someone to get in.

Electricity would not be hard to provide. Just feed some conduit from the well along the vendor area and you are good to go. I think food trucks are an improvement over the tents with Round Table. The food has definitely improved. 

The tailgating I have seen has been pretty good. Strong Greek presence. Not sure all go inside though, this is a problem if the tailgaters don't attend games.

The restroom situation is embarrassing. If they want to be taken seriously they need some permanent restrooms. 

I think they need someone in charge of Hornet Athletics like the Sacramento FC owner. He clearly understands the whole package and how to build a fanbase. They need people with a background in user experience.

#4 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

Right under the "Well" a Beer and Wine serving area would have been nice where spectators could enjoy their drink while watching the game.    Not to mention the extra revenue it could bring in for the Hornet Athletic Program.

#5 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

I'm an Aggie Alum so I'm not interested in going to Sac State games. :)

#6 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

^ I hope you at least go to Causeway. If you are not, you are certainly missing out!

#7 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

^ I hope you at least go to Causeway. If you are not, you are certainly missing out!

Last Saturday was the craziest weekend in NCCA College Football history.    The Sacramento State/Montana State game last Saturday night at Hornet Stadium was the wildest,  most entertaining football game I have ever witnessed.    There was something in the air.

Cal Poly Mustangs will be in town in two weeks (Sat. Night 10-18-14).      Three former Folsom Bulldogs are on the Cal Poly Mustangs Roster.     One Quarterback,  one Lineman,  and one Wide Receiver.

#8 Tyto Alba

Tyto Alba

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

Last Saturday was the craziest weekend in NCCA College Football history.    The Sacramento State/Montana State game last Saturday night at Hornet Stadium was the wildest,  most entertaining football game I have ever witnessed.    There was something in the air.

Cal Poly Mustangs will be in town in two weeks (Sat. Night 10-18-14).      Three former Folsom Bulldogs are on the Cal Poly Mustangs Roster.     One Quarterback,  one Lineman,  and one Wide Receiver.

It was great going to the game on 10-18-14.    Four former players from Folsom that played at the youth level and High School were on Cal Poly's roster and got some play time.    One of them retrieved a pass,  threw a pass for a completion and even ran for a touchdown.      There also was a starting center and Linebacker and wide receiver.     Best of all they are getting an education.

#9 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

I believe the biggest problem holding back Sac State athletics and attendance is the fact it has for many years has been considered a "commuter" school of sorts, and as a result just doesn't have the kind of school spirit that a non-commuter school typically has.  You can bash me on this but I believe it is the truth.

I attended Cal Poly in the late 90s and while they had an "average" football program there were still decent turnouts at most of the football games.  Cal Poly is definitely not a commuter school as most everyone who attends lives within a 10mi radius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users