4 replies to this topic

#1 fatfenders

fatfenders

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

A really long time ago that poorly designed and constructed (and completely unneccessary) bridge began falling apart. So the city barracades it and puts in place a dirt washboard detour. So then we have to put up with that for several more months. Today I spun down the trail and saw they have finally started work on it again. They tore out the bridge and replaced it with (what I can only assume is a MUCH cheaper solution) a culvert and a few truck loads of fill.
All this begs some questions:
The current detour route would be just fine if it was paved. Why didn't they just pave that part to begin with?
If they had to route the trail over the creek for some reason I can't fathom, why didn't they use the cheaper "culvert / fill" method to begin with?
Why has it taken so long for such a simple fix?
They can justify paying just 5 city officials (Manager / Attorney / Police chief / Fire Chief / CFO) a combined million dollars per year in compensation but it takes 'em this long to spend a few hundered bucks to fix a bridge that never should have been built to begin with?

#2 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

A really long time ago that poorly designed and constructed (and completely unneccessary) bridge began falling apart. So the city barracades it and puts in place a dirt washboard detour. So then we have to put up with that for several more months. Today I spun down the trail and saw they have finally started work on it again. They tore out the bridge and replaced it with (what I can only assume is a MUCH cheaper solution) a culvert and a few truck loads of fill.
All this begs some questions:
The current detour route would be just fine if it was paved. Why didn't they just pave that part to begin with?
If they had to route the trail over the creek for some reason I can't fathom, why didn't they use the cheaper "culvert / fill" method to begin with?
Why has it taken so long for such a simple fix?
They can justify paying just 5 city officials (Manager / Attorney / Police chief / Fire Chief / CFO) a combined million dollars per year in compensation but it takes 'em this long to spend a few hundered bucks to fix a bridge that never should have been built to begin with?

which bridge are you talking about...?

#3 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

which bridge are you talking about...?

I'm guessing the Humbug Willow Creek Trail which runs parallel to Blue Ravine between Sibley/Prairie City and Riley. I've been wondering what they're doing.

#4 tony

tony

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm guessing the Humbug Willow Creek Trail which runs parallel to Blue Ravine between Sibley/Prairie City and Riley. I've been wondering what they're doing.

That's the one. Can't comment on why they didn't pave the detour, but the delay was in getting environmental clearance to replace the bridge with a culvert.

#5 triplekickflip

triplekickflip

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

the city did not fix it. i have seen the prisoners out there every morning 9am filling it in by hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users