• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Boat: $30,000
Gas for one day on the water: $75 - $100
Boards, tubes, beer: $750
Firewood wheel chocks: free!

LOL!  You forgot:

House depreciation value for neighbors using firewood and plastic tarps on their boats and RV's: 15k!

#18 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

There is no promise in this life that anything in the neighborhood will make the value of your house go up other than your house. When you get to the point in this world where you can dictate to other people to make your life happier by using non unclassy looking tarps or chock clocks then hey more power to you. meanwhile, get over yourself.

#19 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Come on, it's tacky to have a bunch of cars, boats parked around a house. Looks like a used car/boat sales lot.

I think it's a sign people are making less and can't afford storage for their toys - or maybe they have too many toys, that's probably why they can't be parked in their garages?

Seriously, a street, house, driveway that is kept up nicely has much more curb appeal and sale-ability then a neighborhood that looks like the inner city with cars and boats parked everywhere.

Please don't tell me next that cars parked on the lawns are ok too.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#20 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

There is no promise in this life that anything in the neighborhood will make the value of your house go up other than your house. When you get to the point in this world where you can dictate to other people to make your life happier by using non unclassy looking tarps or chock clocks then hey more power to you. meanwhile, get over yourself.

So to heck with being a considerate neighbor, huh?  

We've always lived in an area without an HOA where you take your risks on what your neighbor might decide to do.  People parking their RVs and boats in driveways never really bothered me, unless it was just left there to deteriorate and house feral cats.  Even without an HOA, though, there are still city municipal codes and I'm not sure if parking on lawns might be covered under that and I'm pretty sure you can't permanently park anything that crosses a sidewalk.

I've noticed some what used to be the "newer" areas of Folsom that always kept their yards and homes really nice and was shocked to see how many houses were just let go.  I don't know if it's because of all the investors that are buying homes and then either let them sit or renters that just don't care.  It's kinda sad.

#21 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

don't know if it's because of all the investors that are buying homes and then either let them sit or renters that just don't care.  It's kinda sad.

Renters always get the bad rap. I'm a renter and I care, but my former landlords didn't. I moved a few months ago from a house I lived in for three years. Getting her to pay a penny towards the house was like pulling teeth. The sprinklers were broken for months this past Spring. I watered as I could by hand, but things were looking dry towards the end. She only fixed them before she had to show it. I did landscape improvement because I like gardening and such otherwise nothing would have happened. But because I didn't own the home I wasn't going to make pricy improvements. The garage door was always a little crooked and one day it finally broke in a couple of pieces. She asked if it was something I could live with. When I said no, she replaced it with the cheapest one she could get. It looks as cheap as it was.

The first place I lived in after my divorce had no landscaping in the side yard (it was a patio home). I purchased plants and ran sprinklers to them. When I moved out the landlord yelled at me and told me he was ripping them out, that he didn't want anything in the yard. The gutters were also not working correctly and dumped dirty water at the front door. Luckily I only lived there a short time.

So it's often the home owners and not the renters who are to blame for a rental home's shoddy appearance. It's just an investment to them and they don't care.

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Renters always get the bad rap. I'm a renter and I care, but my former landlords didn't. I moved a few months ago from a house I lived in for three years. Getting her to pay a penny towards the house was like pulling teeth. The sprinklers were broken for months this past Spring. I watered as I could by hand, but things were looking dry towards the end. She only fixed them before she had to show it. I did landscape improvement because I like gardening and such otherwise nothing would have happened. But because I didn't own the home I wasn't going to make pricy improvements. The garage door was always a little crooked and one day it finally broke in a couple of pieces. She asked if it was something I could live with. When I said no, she replaced it with the cheapest one she could get. It looks as cheap as it was.

The first place I lived in after my divorce had no landscaping in the side yard (it was a patio home). I purchased plants and ran sprinklers to them. When I moved out the landlord yelled at me and told me he was ripping them out, that he didn't want anything in the yard. The gutters were also not working correctly and dumped dirty water at the front door. Luckily I only lived there a short time.

So it's often the home owners and not the renters who are to blame for a rental home's shoddy appearance. It's just an investment to them and they don't care.

Sorry to dump on renters.  I do blame the investors as well.  I've said it before they are destroying more neighborhoods because it's just about business for them.  I thought it was just our neighborhood, but it seems to be happening all over.

I understand why a renter shouldn't have to put their own money out to improve a property.   I don't even expect them to keep the yard as nice as a homeowner would.  It would be nice if they'd just keep it trimmed and free of trash.  If a renter doesn't want to take care of a yard, why not just rent an apartment?  I don't understand why landlords pay for property management companies who do nothing to actually manage the property.

Another point that I'm not sure all Folsomites understand.  The city doesn't clean and weed sidewalks.  That is the property owner's responsibility.  If the sidewalks need concrete repair the city will do that, in theory.  Good luck actually getting it done, though.  In fact, clean street gutters are up to us, too, since we haven't had a street sweeper go by in years and years.  We were told the city can't afford it.  I do notice they can afford to use the street sweeper over in the new construction off of Iron Point, though.

#23 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

I would take a boat or RV ( not decrepit ) in the driveway any day over a poorly maintained yard and house.  And in fact, would take it over a bunch of cars parked on the street, even if they are newer.  Boats and RVs can commingle with cars in Driveways and have virtually Zero affect on home prices.  

What affects Home prices in neighborhoods the most is how the hood keeps it's yards up and how it it keeps the homes up.  

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#24 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Phew!  Parkways HOA doesn't seem that bad right about now.

#25 monstermovie

monstermovie

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

@MikeinFolsom - I used to rail against HOAs: "How dare they dictate what I can and can't do on my own property!". But now I think they're valuable - they're agreed to at the signing of a home purchase so everyone's expectations are set as to what a homeowner's responsibilities are (and what a HOA's responsibilities are). It simplifies a lot: If you don't agree with the HOA, don't purchase the home. And it relieves potential socially-challenged neighbor conflicts: "Hey, do you think you could move that P.O.S. boat somewhere besides your front yard?"

Some HOAs are much more onerous/heinous than others (I know of an Empire Ranch homeowner that got fined by the HOA for a brown spot in their lawn - that's a little excessive by any standard). And some people think that any HOA can turn a neighborhood into an Orwellian hellscape. But, this RV/boat storage thing (and the failing fences, dead yards, etc) would be a non-issue had there been an effective HOA.

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

No doubt about it the Parkway HOA keeps it a beautiful and clean neighborhood to live in.  It's all in what you can live with... well, and if you're lucky enough to be able to afford a home in the Parkway plus the HOA dues.

#27 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

I'd rather pay Parkway HOA fees (~120/qtr) than ARC HOA fees (~432/ mo)

#28 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

So to heck with being a considerate neighbor, huh?  

We've always lived in an area without an HOA where you take your risks on what your neighbor might decide to do.  People parking their RVs and boats in driveways never really bothered me, unless it was just left there to deteriorate and house feral cats.  Even without an HOA, though, there are still city municipal codes and I'm not sure if parking on lawns might be covered under that and I'm pretty sure you can't permanently park anything that crosses a sidewalk.

I've noticed some what used to be the "newer" areas of Folsom that always kept their yards and homes really nice and was shocked to see how many houses were just let go.  I don't know if it's because of all the investors that are buying homes and then either let them sit or renters that just don't care.  It's kinda sad.

you choose to live in a neighborhood that has a book that regulates peoples live. 

other neighborhoods do not.

with that said, i think it is perfectly okay to have an rv or boat or pop up trailer in your driveway (yes it galls me when their hitches go into the sidewalk because it becomes a safety issue) 

no, i think they should consider concreting a portion of their yard and making a pad for an rv or boat instead of dropping in the grass.

but they are the owner and it is their decision

#29 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

you choose to live in a neighborhood that has a book that regulates peoples live. 

other neighborhoods do not.

with that said, i think it is perfectly okay to have an rv or boat or pop up trailer in your driveway (yes it galls me when their hitches go into the sidewalk because it becomes a safety issue) 

no, i think they should consider concreting a portion of their yard and making a pad for an rv or boat instead of dropping in the grass.

but they are the owner and it is their decision

If you are referring to the Folsom Municipal Code, no matter what neighborhood you live in it falls under those codes.  

I agree that I look the other way because it's their property and I've chosen to live in a neighborhood with no HOA or CC&Rs.  I don't just whine, though.  If I know a neighbor is having trouble keeping up their yard I offer to help.  I pick up trash when I'm out and about.  I call SMUD when streetlights are out (City doesn't take care of ours)

Someone here a while back mentioned the "one broken window" theory and I took it to heart and do what I can.

#30 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

I dont see too many homes in folsom with poorly cared for yards. I do see in some areas, usually clustered, where there is a proliferation of vehicles, boats, trailers (including ones with church or scouting on them), motorcycles and rvs. 

Honestly my first thought, wow, that many recreation vehicles in one household must mean that family is doing very well for themselves. 

My next thought, hmmm, I bet the local burglary union takes notes when they drive this street.....

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users