24 replies to this topic

#16 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:03 PM

By the way, Grumpy, where did that information come from?

#17 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

It's unfortunate that someone didn't report this woman's recklessness to someone who could intervene.  For terrorism issues, we all hear, "See something, say something!"  Shouldn't we enlist the same thinking for situations like this?  Perhaps the school principal should have actually reported her to law enforcement.  There are parallels between this and terrorism.  Particularly in the way it affects victims. 

Law enforcement can't be everywhere and I believe citizens should help them out by reporting things that don't quite look right.  I have the Folsom PD on my speed-dial list and call them probably 2-3 times a year.  Just a couple months ago while walking the dog past one of our schools at 7pm, I noticed a young man climbing onto the roof of the school, opening the roof door and disappearing inside.  Seemed out of place.  I called Folsom PD, a patrolman showed up in a few minutes and I pointed out what I saw.  There was an unmarked pickup truck in the parking lot.  The officer checked the license plate and it was registered to an air conditioning maintenance company.  The officer said, "Looks legit",  thanked me, and took off.  He never bothered the guy doing the work.  Problem solved.    

I just wish more people would "get involved" when things don't look quite right.

#18 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

By the way, Grumpy, where did that information come from?

I was wondering that, too.

Also, It's Empire Ranch Road, not Folsom Ranch Road, isn't it?  Folsom Ranch Road is across the river on the other end of town.

I hope everyone is okay.

#19 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:18 PM

You know Grumpy.....You make a lot of sense in your posts. 

It is disgusting to me that so many people take NO personal responsibility for their actions.

They expect the government to step in and take the blame for individuals reckless behavior.

The irony that many of these people are for smaller government is not lost on me. 

As was said earlier, 99.9% of us are able to drive responsibly down these roads.

This was not an accident, this was an inevitability.

Someone should have been notified about this woman.

It takes a village, people.

Like it or not we are all in this together.

#20 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Back to the topic....

Yes, it's Empire Ranch Road.  MY MISTAKE!

The info came from people in the know...neighbors of the woman in question, and parents of children who attend the same school as the kids of the woman in question. 

#21 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Back to the topic....

The info came from people in the know...neighbors of the woman in question, and parents of children who attend the same school as the kids of the woman in question. 

No problem on the road mix-up.

I'm not surprised if what you heard is true.   I'm not sure what else the principal could have done. There was an individual here in town not that long ago that was involved in an accident, drinking & driving and ran a red light, and hit an older couple.  I'm sure this individual must have lost their license, but kept seeing the same name in the police logs over and over again for DUI.  Someone who isn't concerned about laws against mixing alcohol and driving a motor vehicle doesn't really give a hoot about driving without a license.

I am dreading the start of school.  The way some of the parents drive is extremely reckless.  I've gone up to Theodore Judah to complain in the past, asking them to please remind parents to slow down and that these are residential streets and some of us that live in the neighborhood actually have our children walking to school (mine are grown now).  Stop signs means stop, not just roll through if you don't see any cars in the vicinity. 

I gotta say I love those vanity plates.  It makes it easy to identify the offenders.  I'm not sure what good it does to complain, though.  It's the same thing every year.

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Back to the topic....

According to an article in The Folsom Telegraph one of the drivers felt ill and reached for a cup in the drink holder of the car and accidentally turned the steering wheel with the other hand and that's what caused the car to cross over the median.  Didn't mention speed at all as contributing.

#23 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

Goooood story.  They should stick with it.  

IF you think about it, the Folsom Telegraph explanation makes no sense whatsoever.  Think about your own car.  What part of "reached for a cup in the drink holder" would cause you to "accidentally turn the steering wheel" sufficiently to cause the vehicle to jump a median?  In the time it took for me to write this, probably 10,000 people in California reached for a cup in a cup holder and none of them jumped a median.  And if the driver "felt ill", why was she driving?

And speed wasn't factor?  It absolutely was a factor.  The car had enough energy to jump a median, shear off a tree, then impact another vehicle with enough force to severely injure the occupant(s).  A vehicle gets enough energy to do all that from only one thing - speed.  The formula in physics is Ek = 1/2 mv2.  This basically says that when you double the velocity of any object, the amount of energy increases by a factor of four.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I believe a more realistic explanation might be that the driver was horribly negligent and needed to hire a high priced lawyer to deal with the significant insurance problems, the lawsuit from the occupants of the other vehicle, and Child Protective Services who can remove her children because she endangered them. And in the process, this high priced lawyer made sure any press releases were benevolent and did not include any damaging verbiage about the driver and her negligence.    

To qualify the above comments, they're solely based on my opinion and not on any detailed knowledge of the incident.  However, everything I stated is plausible.  

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Goooood story.  They should stick with it.  

IF you think about it, the Folsom Telegraph explanation makes no sense whatsoever.  Think about your own car.  What part of "reached for a cup in the drink holder" would cause you to "accidentally turn the steering wheel" sufficiently to cause the vehicle to jump a median?  In the time it took for me to write this, probably 10,000 people in California reached for a cup in a cup holder and none of them jumped a median.  And if the driver "felt ill", why was she driving?

And speed wasn't factor?  It absolutely was a factor.  The car had enough energy to jump a median, shear off a tree, then impact another vehicle with enough force to severely injure the occupant(s).  A vehicle gets enough energy to do all that from only one thing - speed.  The formula in physics is Ek = 1/2 mv2.  This basically says that when you double the velocity of any object, the amount of energy increases by a factor of four.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I believe a more realistic explanation might be that the driver was horribly negligent and needed to hire a high priced lawyer to deal with the significant insurance problems, the lawsuit from the occupants of the other vehicle, and Child Protective Services who can remove her children because she endangered them. And in the process, this high priced lawyer made sure any press releases were benevolent and did not include any damaging verbiage about the driver and her negligence.    

To qualify the above comments, they're solely based on my opinion and not on any detailed knowledge of the incident.  However, everything I stated is plausible.  

I'm just passing along what the story in the paper was.   I thought you might be interested.  To be fair, I think the story may have said the driver was "suddenly" ill.

I agree I have been very fortunate to have been able to keep my car in its lane and right side up all these years even though I have used one hand on the wheel while changing radio stations, turning on windshield wipers, or shifting gears back when I had a manual transmission.

I do admit I only drink coffee in my car at stoplights, but that's mostly because the lid on my old thermos is tricky and I don't like having coffee stain enhancements to my wardrobe. 

#25 GrumpyOldGuy

GrumpyOldGuy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

Sorry, I'm not trying to be pushy.  I'm always suspicious of news reports.  I'm pretty sure they get serious editing all the time.  

And I join you in some minor distractions while driving.  I don't drink coffee, but sometimes pick my nose while driving (not trying to gross you out, just being honest).  Please don't tell my wife!  She'll clobber me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Folsom, Crash, Speed, Folsom Ranch Rd

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users