52 replies to this topic

#46 brown

brown

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Some people just have no class. But it's not just an anti-American thing, worse things have happened in the past (check my previous post re: Eddy Merckx of Belgium having a spectator break his jaw with a punch). Everybody hates a winner I guess, and Lance is just dominating right now.

On a good note check this out...a Folsomite in France!

http://www.sfgate.co.../21&type=sports

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

#47 clearwater

clearwater

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

I just find this amazing that a single human can consistantly win this type of event over a 6 year period- hope he does take it home .
May the Force ( Kerry / Edwards) be with you...

#48 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

This is great !!!! Lance Armstrong wins again.

PARIS (AP) - Lance Armstrong rode into history Sunday by winning the Tour de France for a record sixth time, an achievement that confirmed the victory-hungry cancer survivor as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time.

----------

Check it out:::

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2601164
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#49 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:01 AM

He is incredible. He is a monster -- whatever the other riders do (and many of them are the champions of their country or have other great distinctions of their own), Lance just blows them away. It almost does seem super-human. Afterwards, he hardly even looks tired. He just looks like the same, intense Lance, with a slightly bemused look and tortured English (caused by too much French-speaking!)

I get the impression bike-racing is full of gossip and intrigue. That little scene with Simeoni was fascinating. Apparently, Lance hates Simeoni because Simeoni has made some doping allegations about Lance's doctor, Dr. Ferrarri. Lance called Simeoni a liar, and now Simeoni is suing him for libel. When Simeoni tried to do a breakaway a couple days ago, Lance singlehandedly pedaled up to him -- causing the other breakaway riders to force Simeoni to go back. Lance said that many of the other riders in the peloton thanked him for thwarting Simeoni's breakaway (I guess Simeoni is not too popular)-- but I read there was some European press that painted Armstrong as rather petty.

#50 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

By the way, everyone, even if you have not watched the Tour throughout the last 3 weeks, I urge you to tune in tonight. (I believe it will be 8:30 p.m. again on OLN).

Today is the last, ceremonial stage when the riders will arrive on the Champsd'Elysee in Paris. There will be hundreds of thousands of spectators. From what I understand, there is a lot of tradition surrounding the last stage, including the peloton sharing glasses of champagne and sometimes sportsmanlike gestures such as the top riders holding hands as they cross the finish.

It should be a great show!

#51 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:38 AM

I did not know that Sheryl Crow and Lance Armstrong are dating.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

#52 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:24 PM

Cyber, they talked about her almost every day of the races and she was there when he won in Paris. She was at the ceremony.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#53 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:43 PM

Guess I did not watch.

I believe she's 40 something and he's in his early 30. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users