Fatal Accident On Iron Point

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#16 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

I would also like to know if they ran a red light at that corner. Anyone know??/

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#17 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

Such sad, sad news for all involved.

I know the PD can't be everywhere at once, but didn't the Folsom PD just get some sort of grant to crack down on street racing? Instead of stabling another police horse, I would like to see more done to crack down on speeders and red-light runners.

I also saw the news report last night and was very troubled by the report that the boys were more concerned about getting the speakers out of the damaged car before it was impounded than the victim who died. Hope that wasn't true.

#18 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

Let's listen to what Robert had to say and try not to pass judgment so the investigation can continue. I feel very sorry for these families -- ALL of them.

BTW, you don't have to be 'spoiled' or rich to own a Dodge Stealth or a BMW 5 series. There are many available between 3 and 10k, which puts them in the range of pretty much any other car today and definately in the range of a teenager who has been saving for a while. My 21 year old drives a mustang convertible, which he paid 2/3 of, and I would hate for someone to blame his car for his driving mistakes. I would have prefered that he got a Volkswagon Passat or something like that but it was his money, to a point, so it was his choice, to a point.

The other thing that troubles me is that they say between 60 and 80 mph. That's quite a range. I'm sure most honest people on this forum would admit to having gone 55 or so in that stretch at some point in our lives. One difference is that we're not 17 and we have more experience driving defensively and most of us are better at paying attention to our surroundings.

It could be that they were just speeding and goofing around --- NOT street racing. Most teens I know are not heartless idiots who care more about stereos than they do about people. No one knows what stuff would come out of people's mouths when they're in shock. I remember when I received the news that my mom had died, I was about to go to an exercise class and actually considered going to the class and waiting till it was over to go to Modesto where my family was. Luckily I got my senses pretty quickly and was helped by my husband.

Very Very Tragic...
Tragic.
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#19 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ Jan 14 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved in this tragic accident.

I will encourage all of us to refrain from prejudging what happened based upon the information in the article ( teen aged males, street racing, driving red Stealth & white BMW).

Allow the police to complete their investigation, so they can determine how fast the cars were going at impact and who had the right away at the intersection. These will be the facts used by our justice system to judge the drivers responsibilities.

Again, my thoughts and prayers go out to ALL of the families involved in this tragedy!

No offense, Robert, but I won't refrain. I see it way too much in this town.

Agreed that prayers go out to the families of the victims.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#20 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

I just drove by there, and it would appear its the intersection at the Applebees parking lot. There are some long, heavy black skid marks on westbound Iron point. I have seen accidents at this location before. Iron Point is 6 lanes wide curving and dropping in elevation at that point, which hinders visibility for anyone exiting the parking lot. Its just a bad intersection to begin with, even without having to worry about speeding cars. Short of putting up yet another traffic light, it might be a good idea to make the exit right turn only.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#21 benning

benning

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

I'm wondering how many of the people quick to judge the teens and the teen's parents and the teen's car actually have teens of their own. I would suspect that not too many do...
"L'essential est invisible pour les yeux."

#22 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

Benning, there is a big difference between a 17 year old and a 21 year old.

17 year olds are still children. The parents have the authority, and the responsibility, to control what kind of car their child drives. Parents need to show mature judgment -- not get sucked into facilitating their kid being "the coolest kid in high school."

Too many parents seem to have never advanced beyond the mentality of their own high school years.

#23 LexHillsmom

LexHillsmom

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

Another reason the legal driving age limit should be uped to 18

#24 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

It's a sad story. The thing is, we were planning on going to Applebee's for lunch yesterday, and if we did, we probably would've been leaving the parking lot at the same time because that's when I would've headed off to work.

Another thing, I was headed off to Sacramento last night (left here around 7), and there were two CHP officers on the side of 50 by the movie theatre. And on the other side of the fence in the parking lot of the theatre (able to see cuz everyone slowed down to a near stop), they had two tow trucks and more police officers. Anyone know what happened?
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#25 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Swmr, did you get your car repaired?

Are you feeling better after your accident? I hope so.

#26 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Jan 14 2007, 03:25 PM) View Post
Swmr, did you get your car repaired?

Are you feeling better after your accident? I hope so.

It's supposed to be ready in about a week now. Over $10,000 in damages...and I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. Still a little tight, but nothing a good massage and some time spent in the spa won't help.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#27 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(bordercolliefan @ Jan 14 2007, 02:27 PM) View Post
Benning, there is a big difference between a 17 year old and a 21 year old.

17 year olds are still children. The parents have the authority, and the responsibility, to control what kind of car their child drives. Parents need to show mature judgment -- not get sucked into facilitating their kid being "the coolest kid in high school."

Too many parents seem to have never advanced beyond the mentality of their own high school years.

However, studies have shown that our brains don't stop developing until age 22.

RFK

#28 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

Another thing in regards to the parent thing. I'm seeing more and more parents wanting to be the friends of their children and not the authority figure that I was raised with.

I spent time w/ my mom and dad, and we did fun things together, but they never, not once in my life, wanted to be my friend. I could come to them when I had problems, but they never tried to give me freedoms so I would be happy with them.

They would stand firm with their final decision, and I knew the consequences if I questioned them on it or did not follow the rules.

RFK

#29 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(tgianco @ Jan 14 2007, 01:13 PM) View Post
No offense, Robert, but I won't refrain. I see it way too much in this town.

Agreed that prayers go out to the families of the victims.

Tony, I try not to get offended anymore biggrin.gif

I think we are guilty of seeing what we want to see in town, big trucks, gas guzzling SUV's and BMW's confirming something we believe. No doubt there are male teen drivers who drive in a reckless manner. Their lack of experience and driving characteristics do contribute to a higher rate of accidents than other groups.

I was coming home last night about 5:30 and I saw a red Dodge Stealth on the back of a transport on Prairie City Rd, with front end damage. I've seen many wrecked vehicles, I'm Not a claims person nor am I an accident reconstruction expert, but that Stealth was NOT going 80 mph when the impact occurred. I suspect it may not have been going 55mph...but again I'm no expert. The fact that the passenger wasn't injured or even complained about any pain and maybe having seen the car after the accident leads me to think the car wasn't going as fast the newspaper article implies.

IMHO, if it was soccer mom driving down Iron Pt, in her minivan, headed towards the movies to pick up another child and maybe running a few minutes late and maybe going a few miles above the speed limit and was the vehicle that broadsided the lady who pulled out....it may not even made the news and we probably wouldn't be discussing it here.

Who had the right a way and how fast was the car going are the only relevant facts on what happened. How old was the driver and what type of car they were driving is not relevant at this time.

Its sad that some mom lost her life! It reminds all of us how fragile life is and how it could have been almost anyone of us or worse one of our children! I think that is what makes us angry! Sometimes when these things happen we want answers as to why as some sort of way to rationalize life's occurrence's, but often times there aren't any answers.

The best answer is to slow down and do something special today.

#30 LexHillsmom

LexHillsmom

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

My son's best friend was a witness to the accident and the first to get to the woman's car. Sadly, he saw something he will never be able to forget.

He's 17 also so it is a huge lesson for him as to what can and does happen when driving irresponsibly. He told our son the two boys that were involved seemed only concerned about their own butts....one was heard saying "I wasn't speeding"...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users