199 replies to this topic

#16 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Darthvader @ Jan 8 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got that right. Prepare for 2009 to be the end of many, many mall/retail spaces. Phoenix is one place that has already been hit hard, it'll be everywhere by mid-year.

all one has to do is look around at the dozens of empty commercial places right now to agree with you..... it is really looking ugly out there

buckle down folks, this is gonna be a very rough year - the depression (not recession) is moving forward at full speed right now.

trust me, I know - I'm in need of a new job already.... and its depressing sad.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#17 wellwishing

wellwishing

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:12 PM

Cheer up folks! Obama is here to save America!

Why, in no time at all, there will be tons of jobs for everyone!

Everyone that can do hard labor building a bridge, highway or road, that is.

( My wife said, "Can't you just see me in a hard hat doing welding?" I must say, the vision turned me on a little bit...but naugh. She has a bad back.)

I guess the rest of us will just have to starve.

Is it just me, or do these "Free Trade Agreements" and these "Visas" for cheap workers from abroad, need to be revised?

It's all fine and good for Obama to create these jobs but I don't think that will be enough to save us from a deep depression.
"The old village well is just a curiosity - something to attract tourists attracted by stories of lost treasure, or visitors just making a wish. Unless something alien and terrifying could be lurking inside the well. Something utterly monstrous that causes nothing but death and destruction.
But who knows the real truth about the well? Who wishes to unleash the hideous forces it contains? What terrible consequences will follow the search for a legendary treasure hidden at the bottom?
No one wants to believe the Doctor's warnings about the deadly horror lying in wait - but soon they'll wish they had..."

#18 Brightside

Brightside

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

I know Folsom has seen amazing growth in building of homes, retail & restaurant businesses, etc., but I've so often wondered in the past few years, where are all the jobs coming in from to support something like Palladio? Maybe I'm wrong but my thinking says the mall would have taken shopping dollars away from quite a few other retailers in town. Only because there are only so many people here and the population isn't sustaining the commercial growth as it is.
In a way, I'm not sorry Palladio isn't going to happen. I think it'll give the current small business owners in town a little more of the pie to keep to themselves, thin of a sliver as it is these days.

#19 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Brightside @ Jan 8 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know Folsom has seen amazing growth in building of homes, retail & restaurant businesses, etc., but I've so often wondered in the past few years, where are all the jobs coming in from to support something like Palladio? Maybe I'm wrong but my thinking says the mall would have taken shopping dollars away from quite a few other retailers in town. Only because there are only so many people here and the population isn't sustaining the commercial growth as it is.
In a way, I'm not sorry Palladio isn't going to happen. I think it'll give the current small business owners in town a little more of the pie to keep to themselves, thin of a sliver as it is these days.

Very good point, I too don't like it when giant super chain stores come in and kill the better, smaller, mom and pop stores that have been here a long time.

People always say things happen for a reason....

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#20 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jan 9 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very good point, I too don't like it when giant super chain stores come in and kill the better, smaller, mom and pop stores that have been here a long time.

People always say things happen for a reason....

Bah, "mom and pop" stores aren't better. That's why they fail. It isn't big box stores that killed mom and pop either, it's mobility. Mom and pop's existed because people either couldn't go into the big city very often or the supply chain just wasn't there to make goods widely available. If your idea of better is less variety at higher prices, then you have a point. Big box stores are like government, people get what they deserve.

#21 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jan 8 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all one has to do is look around at the dozens of empty commercial places right now to agree with you..... it is really looking ugly out there

buckle down folks, this is gonna be a very rough year - the depression (not recession) is moving forward at full speed right now.

trust me, I know - I'm in need of a new job already.... and its depressing sad.gif

Did you lose your job?

Or are you currently still with HP, but looking for a new job within HP because your current job is going away?
I would rather be Backpacking

#22 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

When (and if) the economy rebounds, Palladio will probably happen and it will be good for Folsom. It will stop some of the retail leakage that goes to Roseville and Sacramento. Folsom could use the sales tax income that is now going out of the city.
Unfortunately the lack of information (real information) just fuels the rumor mill. Elliott would be much better served and so would the community if they opened up and told people what was happening and what the plans were.
On a different note, Lifestyle Centers are now the hot prospect in Shopping Centers. No one is building enclosed malls anymore.

#23 Thunder

Thunder

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

I agree with wellwishing. I think Obama will turn everything around. It may take a couple months but he is smart and talks well and will get things on track. 8 years of Bush was enough. Obama has what it takes to make things great like they were during Clinton years. Be patient and I also think printing more money is also a key like I said yesterday.

#24 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Thunder @ Jan 9 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with wellwishing. I think Obama will turn everything around. It may take a couple months but he is smart and talks well and will get things on track. 8 years of Bush was enough. Obama has what it takes to make things great like they were during Clinton years. Be patient and I also think printing more money is also a key like I said yesterday.

Heeeyyyyyyyyyyy KooooooL Aid!!!!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#25 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

Be patient and I also think printing more money is also a key like I said yesterday.

Because then we get to add inflation to this mess!

#26 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (folsombound @ Jan 9 2009, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately the lack of information (real information) just fuels the rumor mill. Elliott would be much better served and so would the community if they opened up and told people what was happening and what the plans were.
On a different note, Lifestyle Centers are now the hot prospect in Shopping Centers. No one is building enclosed malls anymore.

+1

I'd like to know the reasoning behind being so tight lipped.

#27 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

I think wellwishing was joking.....
A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#28 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (a little bean @ Jan 9 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because then we get to add inflation to this mess!

Do people fail to understand that when there is more of something, such as 600 trillion new dollar bills out there that they are worth LESS because there are so many of them? And what is backing the value of those dollars? China that's what.

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#29 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

Obama will turn everything around in < 100 days! Oh praise Him!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#30 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (camay2327 @ Jan 9 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think wellwishing was joking.....

I hope wellwishing was joking. I'd hate to think anyone really believed that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users