21 replies to this topic

#1 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:20 PM

I was watching Oprah, thanks TIVO, and Bill Gates was discussing what is being called America's silent epidemic. America's schools are failing! We are so far behind in math and science and it is not just a problem in urban schools. This is a problem affecting schools in every city.

Learn how Folsom schools are doing: http://www.standup.org/know.html

"Just 20 years ago, American students were among the best in the world, routinely coming in first in test results. Now, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, students in the richest country on earth are in 24th place in math. That's behind Canada, Germany, France, Korea…but also smaller, poorer countries like Poland, Hungary and Slovakia." Quote from Oprah's website.

Edited by Erika, 11 April 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#2 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

Erika, thanks for the post. Student performance and achievement are very important issues. There is a lot of lip service given to failing schools and students. It is good to see an organization trying to make a difference. However, I think the real solution would require a radical overhaul of the public education system in this country.

The "Stand Up" search function is very frustrating. I couldn't get it to pull up a number of elementary schools, or an FCUSD report. -- It is much easier to get the report from FCUSD. http://www.fcusd.k12..._0405/SARCs.htm

I also have some questions about what "proficiency" means in the "Stand Up" report.

#3 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:13 AM

In public education, nothing succeeds like failure.

#4 Erika

Erika

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Apr 12 2006, 07:42 AM) View Post

However, I think the real solution would require a radical overhaul of the public education system in this country.

I think that is what is trying to be accomplished. One of the ads shown on the show said something like...why are we in a school system that is designed for 1956 when it is 2006.

It was also mentioned that we are more separate than equal when it comes to public education. On the show 2 schools swapped to see what the other students had access to and it was amazing. One school was a poor school and the other was in an upscale suburban neighborhood. There really was no comparison between the pools, music program, condition of the school, etc...

Folsom schools look like they're doing pretty well. Empire Oaks has high test scores along with some other elementary schools and Folsom High did great.

Today will be a follow-up and more will be discussed.

One of the key issues is that we are the number 1 country and it will not continue if the public education system isn't changed.

#5 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(Erika @ Apr 12 2006, 10:17 AM) View Post

...why are we in a school system that is designed for 1956 when it is 2006.

Or do we have a basic public education structure designed for 1856?!

#6 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

HAHA, it says at FHS it's 26.5 students per teacher. Since my freshmen year I have had over 30 kids in all my classes (we had 42 in my foreign language class).
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#7 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

My last year of teaching in the Grant Joint Union High School District I had 52 seniors in 1st Period and 49 sophomores in my 6th Period class. I think at the time our contract stated maximum of 32 per hour.

#8 gingerkid

gingerkid

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Folsom's schools compare very well to district, state, and national averages. We're doing all right! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
“Hippies, hippies... they want to save the world but all they do is smoke pot and play frisbee!” Eric Cartman

#9 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Farley @ Apr 12 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

My last year of teaching in the Grant Joint Union High School District I had 52 seniors in 1st Period and 49 sophomores in my 6th Period class. I think at the time our contract stated maximum of 32 per hour.

eek.gif That must have been a fun time trying to get them to quiet down.
"We must recognize that this short life can neither be ennobled or enriched by hatred or revenge."

RFK

#10 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Apr 12 2006, 10:24 AM) View Post

Or do we have a basic public education structure designed for 1856?!

HAHA You beat me to it. Our educational model is little changed since the 19th century. Lock a bunch of kids in a room with a teacher for 6 hours...sigh

#11 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

Yes, our schools need to be reworked, but let's not forget the biggest influence on a child's scholastic achievements...their parents. Schools exist to provide a learning environment. A learning attitude comes from the home.

Just my two cents...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#12 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:02 AM

I absolutely agree, JBailey. However, a major problem occurs when the schools create an "environment" which promotes attitudes and ideologies which are contrary to a given family's values. A fear is that all the positive work done at home will be "undone" at school.

#13 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(forumreader @ Apr 18 2006, 07:02 AM) View Post

I absolutely agree, JBailey. However, a major problem occurs when the schools create an "environment" which promotes attitudes and ideologies which are contrary to a given family's values. A fear is that all the positive work done at home will be "undone" at school.

That's a worry of mine regarding my kids' manners. I'm shooting for the high mark so once they attend school and get "dumbed down" by their peers, they'll still have acceptable manners for my expectations.

#14 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Why aren't school hours closer to work hours? Why not make school go from 9:30 - 4:30 or some such? That way more parents would be home when kids are.

#15 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Apr 18 2006, 08:18 AM) View Post

Why aren't school hours closer to work hours? Why not make school go from 9:30 - 4:30 or some such? That way more parents would be home when kids are.

Agreed.

And why not put the "good kids" in classes with higher student to teacher ratios, 30:1, 40:1, 50:1 to lower costs? Depending on the students, teacher and subject.

And why not let non-credentialed, lower paid "teachers" teach some of the basics, leaving more advanced subjects for credentialed teachers?

And why not let parents choose an academic course that's more suited for their particular child's situation? Poorer, inner city kids could perhaps choose a simple 3 Rs track with an emphasis on trade skills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users