Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

What Did You Think Of The Library Petition?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 checkmate3001

checkmate3001

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Computer stuff. Linux. Webpages. Fixing things (I fix cameras for a living).

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

So after reading 5 pages of a whole lot of discussion I've gathered this much.

There is a new library in planning. Where is it going to be located? (Sorry I simply couldn't read EVERY post)

Someone is going to get paid $80,000 for 'Supervising' and someone else is getting paid $60,000 for 'Directing'.
How much does the staff get per hour? $10.50 or so?

What does a director or supervisor do?

#77 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(checkmate3001 @ Jul 2 2006, 04:07 PM) View Post

There is a new library in planning. Where is it going to be located? (Sorry I simply couldn't read EVERY post)

You had to ask! It's in the park by city hall, where the memorial baseball field used to be smile.gif
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#78 checkmate3001

checkmate3001

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Computer stuff. Linux. Webpages. Fixing things (I fix cameras for a living).

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(mylo @ Jul 2 2006, 04:22 PM) View Post

You had to ask! It's in the park by city hall, where the memorial baseball field used to be smile.gif

Neat. Anyone know the expected opening date? My girlfriend currently is driving up to Shingle Springs to work at a library owned by an Indian Reservation. I guess she's become increasingly frustrated with the lack of support from the community leaders and the disorganization... not to mention the amount of theft that the library has - I guess they don't find the library as important as buying 200 squirt-guns (one for every resident). Sure - $2000 on squirt-guns is a great idea... $2000 on a computer program that will allow them to keep track of who checked out the books and what books are there just isn't a good investment.

I've heard of some crazy stuff, but give me a break.

She's excited to hear that a new library will be opening in Folsom. She's a big book junkie. She'd marry a book if I wasn't so darn sexy. wink.gif

(at least that's what I tell myself)... smile.gif

- I'm cracking myself up here... ahem... - sorry

#79 Gwyneth

Gwyneth

Netizen

• Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(Paige @ Jun 29 2006, 05:14 PM) View Post

I'm sorry if what I said came across as pointing fingers or mud slinging. I do wholeheartedly agree that there should be no mud slinging or pointing fingers, and again I am truly sorry if that was the way my question was taken.

Hi Paige,

My comment about placing blame was not aimed at you. I didn't take what you said as mud-slinging, but rather as an honest question.

I was referring to others, who tried to blame the whole library episode on individual staff members whom they characterized as disgruntled, malcontent, and flakey. I believe similar efforts to discredit employees in the Fire Dept. situation also occurred. What needs to be pointed out is that the staff at the library was pretty much unified in their dissatisfaction and complaints about the management and organization. It was not a few "trouble-makers" who caused the problems. I can understand how the city would not want the citizens of Folsom to perceive a problem in management, but it happens. Better to deal with it now and find solutions, than to continue to insist there is nothing wrong and perpetuate a bad situation.

QUOTE(Paige @ Jun 29 2006, 05:14 PM) View Post
If you don't have that foundation of knowledge then you begin to have problems.

Yes, and that seems to be what happened. It might have worked out alright if management had been willing to listen to and work with the staff, who do have the training, knowledge, and experience, but apparently it was not. Articles in the Telegraph and Folsom Life mentioned the complaint of the staff that it was excluded from important decision-making processes and planning for the new facility and services. If you make arbitrary uninformed decisions and refuse to welcome or heed the opinions of those in a position to know, you will eventually have problems. That is obviously what happened. Let's hope the city sees the wisdom of hiring a professional director with appropriate experience, education, and skills, forget fault or blame for what's happened in the past several years, and move on.

The library is for the citizens of Folsom after all, and they deserve the best possible leadership that can be found. Let's not forget whom the true beneficiaries are. Careers and egos aside, let's move forward and take joy in the opportunities that present themselves in the wonderful new building that should be ready to occupy around the turn of the year.

#80 looprunner51

looprunner51

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

Is there any news about the library? I'm interested to know what developments have come about recently, if any.

#81 tallon

tallon

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

Some of you may want to look at crossover discussions that are appearing in the Fire Dept. forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users