7 replies to this topic

#1 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:07 PM

Have you noticed the new parking meters in Sacramento? The city is actually calling them Pay and Display Stations. The city of Sacramento is installing 300 of these machines. Not all areas in downtown are getting these.

Here is how they work. You pull into a metered parking spot then find the closest pay station. You insert your credit card or coins and push the green button to print your receipt. You then peel your receipt and stick it to your curb side window. All done. You can even park at any other metered spot in the city if your time has not run out.

It sounds like a pretty cool system, but I have yet to try it out. I grabbed a few shots so you can see the pay stations and what they look like. Happy parking!

#2 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(randb @ Aug 30 2007, 10:07 PM) View Post
Have you noticed the new parking meters in Sacramento? The city is actually calling them Pay and Display Stations. The city of Sacramento is installing 300 of these machines. Not all areas in downtown are getting these.

Here is how they work. You pull into a metered parking spot then find the closest pay station. You insert your credit card or coins and push the green button to print your receipt. You then peel your receipt and stick it to your curb side window. All done. You can even park at any other metered spot in the city if your time has not run out.

It sounds like a pretty cool system, but I have yet to try it out. I grabbed a few shots so you can see the pay stations and what they look like. Happy parking!

The only part I don't get is the sticker? Is it one of those impossible to peel off stickers except with a razor blade? If not somebody could just peel it off and use it. Unless it goes on the inside of the car?!?

...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#3 randb

randb

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Darthvader @ Aug 30 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post
The only part I don't get is the sticker? Is it one of those impossible to peel off stickers except with a razor blade? If not somebody could just peel it off and use it. Unless it goes on the inside of the car?!?

I would assume it is made to be removable and it should be stuck to the inside of the window.

#4 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:02 AM

old news...

I find this convenient... since those "bastardos" down there are big on collecting parking fines... if you don't have quarters with you and you are late for an appointment.. you will get a parking ticket...

just bring your ATM or credit card and this problem is solved... If you have to pay they should make it easier...

#5 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

I used it before, I didn't stick it to the window though, I just put it on my dashboard. It was nice since I only had enough quarters for 30 minutes when I knew I was going to be at least an hour.

#6 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

They seem like nice parking meters, but they sure are pricey. On the radio, I heard that they cost $7500, a piece!

#7 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Very cool, it's about time. They may be $7500 a piece, but the old meters had to replace a $500 battery every 6 months...

#8 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

I just love that they take plastic!

I never have "cash", and quarters? yeah right... my kid ends up with all of the quarters!
<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users