• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

I've been to IMAX a few times; U2 3D was amazing. I'd highly recommend seeing an IMAX concert.

#17 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

OK, after checking out the IMAX in El Dorado Hills, I really must comment that the theater was not what I had in mind. The screen looked maybe a little bigger, but it was essentially in one of the theaters they had before, and the screen wasn't like 4 stories tall like in Sacramento. I was irked I paid a few dollars more for an experience in which I really couldn't tell much of a difference.

I suppose it would be cool to see a movie in EDH that's *only* in IMAX, so it would save a trip downtown, but it's not the same. When I saw U2 3D downtown it was incredible... "Madagascar" at the EDH IMAX was no difference to me than a regular theater.

Long story short, we're going downtown next time we see an IMAX movie.

#18 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(john @ Dec 10 2008, 09:15 AM) View Post
OK, after checking out the IMAX in El Dorado Hills, I really must comment that the theater was not what I had in mind. The screen looked maybe a little bigger, but it was essentially in one of the theaters they had before and the screen wasn't like 4 stories tall like in Sacramento. I was irked I paid a few dollars more for an experience in which I really couldn't tell much of a difference.

I suppose it would be cool to see a movie in EDH that's *only* in IMAX, so it would save a trip downtown, but it's not the same. When I saw U2 3D downtown it was incredible... "Madagascar" at the EDH IMAX was no difference to me than a regular theater.

Long story short, we're going downtown next time we see an IMAX movie.

That is disappointing....

#19 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Bummer dry.gif I was hoping it would be the full IMAX experience like downtown but without the drive.

#20 (Gaelic925)

(Gaelic925)
  • Visitors

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(eVader @ Dec 10 2008, 09:23 AM) View Post
Bummer dry.gif I was hoping it would be the full IMAX experience like downtown but without the drive.

Exactly.

#21 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I've never been to any IMAX's maybe the one in EDH won't be a letdown for me. biggrin.gif

#22 Roy

Roy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

There is a new movie "Monsters vs. Aliens" 3D in IMAX. I will bring my son to watch it. I am a IMAX fan but I don't have too much time to go to downtown. So I will try to see if I can settle down this EDH IMAX.

#23 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Unfortunately, the IMAX movies we want to see typically play downtown and aren't shown in EDH. We'd much rather stay close to home. The downtown IMAX is currently showing Deep Sea and a movie about walking on the moon.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#24 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

We wanna go with some friends to see Star Trek on opening night (crazy I know...). We have no faith in this imax being great at all and know that its alot smaller then in sacramento. But... whats the best screen to see Star Trek on? If I remember right the imax screens are large but not in widescreen. We want the fullest widescreen for sure I'm thinking.

So price aside, for those who have been to this imax. Would you get tickets to the movie for it or just the biggest theater you can get ahold of there?

Last night they told me the imax costs alot more because its alot bigger screen. If thats the case, then how bout a discount on the tiny screens that make you wanna cry when you get stuck in one for a big action movie...LOL.
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#25 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

I don't think it's worth it in EDH. Maybe Sacramento. EDH you pay a few extra dollars for a bigger screen, which in all reality, you don't really notice. In Sacramento, it's larger than life.

#26 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (john @ May 6 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it's worth it in EDH. Maybe Sacramento. EDH you pay a few extra dollars for a bigger screen, which in all reality, you don't really notice. In Sacramento, it's larger than life.

It doesn't look like Sacramento Esquire IMAX is playing Star Trek:The IMAX Experience.
http://search.news10...=...&id=6182878
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#27 stangage70

stangage70

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (JLS @ May 6 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I remember right the imax screens are large but not in widescreen. We want the fullest widescreen for sure I'm thinking.

So price aside, for those who have been to this imax. Would you get tickets to the movie for it or just the biggest theater you can get ahold of there?

Last night they told me the imax costs alot more because its alot bigger screen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imax

The big difference with Imax is the size of the film - roughly 3X of what you will see in the other, 35 mm based one. The film is run horizontally instead of vertically, which is also quite different.

Standard IMAX screen is 72' x 53', which doesn't have as wide of an aspect ratio as 2.4:1 cinescope.

To answer your question - in this situation I would try the Imax experience.
However if you don't feel Bluray is significantly better than standard DVD's, then you might be happier with the standard approach.

Assuming the original film was shot in 35mm - it is not going to be the same as those shot in natively in the 70mm format. The film is processed with their DMR mechanism. It should still be the clearest picture you will see there.

#28 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Thanks guys!

My take on Blu-Ray

VCR to DVD = Major, Major difference in "noticeable quality while watching the movie"

Normal Cable TV to HD Cable TV = Same

DVD VS HD Discs = Extreme difference in "quality" but when I'm watching one of my blu-rays vs watching a DVD I don't even think about it. If I get stuck watching a standard def channel on my big-screen instead of an HD channel then it irritates the heck out of me.

Something shot on the Epic 617:

http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/

Probley Noticeable smile.gif

Anyways, I already bought my tickets for the normal biggest theater but if I get a chance I'll stop by there and take a peek...
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#29 awbnet

awbnet

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

My friend and I ended up seeing an Imax movie couple weeks ago and paid extra only because it was showing at the only convenient movie time.

Maybe I'm getting too old, I could not see much difference at all in picture quality. Maybe it would depend more on type of movie. We saw Night at the Museum II. Or maybe it's because I'm used to watching HD at home?

Point - I didn't think it was worth the extra dollars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users