• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Sad story... I never heard of a pellet gun death but apparently it happens 4 times a year.

http://folsomtelegra...ail/194549.html

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

This is so sad. A 10-year-old boy in El Dorado Hills playing with a neighbor was shot with a pellet gun and died minutes later. I sometimes think people don't realize the power of these new air guns, but then again accidents like this are rare, according to the article, with only four deaths a year.

I feel so sorry for everyone involved in this. The boy, his family first and foremost, and then the boy who caused it and his family. So sorry this happened.
http://edhtelegraph....ub_type&town_id
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Very Sad- Guess they are not benign as we have been led to believe- but then I imagine anything with a level of force could penetrate the skin...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#4 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:20 PM

boy was shot in the torso. the pellet must have nicked a major artery near the heart and he bled out internally. That would be very hard to prevent. very very sad.

John, can you delete my duplicate post please? I'm not sure how to do it myself. We must have posted on the same subject at the same moment.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#5 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

np prob, I just merged the threads.

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:33 PM

By "pellet gun" are we talking air soft guns? Those can be extremely dangerous, depending on the type of gun (some are substantially more powerful than others), the distance to the target, and whether the "victim" is protected (e.g., face masks, layers of clothing, etc.).
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Very Sad- Guess they are not benign as we have been led to believe- but then I imagine anything with a level of force could penetrate the skin...

I read that its about 550 fps for a pellet gun to break thru skin and bone and some (most) of the pellet guns today are about 1200 fps so they are very lethal indeed. These should be handled/treated just like real fire arms.

My son played football with this boy 2 years ago, so very sad indeed.

#8 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

These should be handled/treated just like real fire arms.

These are real firearms. They are not toys and should not be treated as such. Whichever parent allowed this should be ashamed.

#9 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

By "pellet gun" are we talking air soft guns? Those can be extremely dangerous, depending on the type of gun (some are substantially more powerful than others), the distance to the target, and whether the "victim" is protected (e.g., face masks, layers of clothing, etc.).

I don't think this was an Air soft gun. It is more likely the .177 caliper pellet gun that shoots BBs as well as lead pellets with the lead pellet being far more dangerous.
Not as powerful as a .22 caliper rifle but powerful enough to cause serious harm and obviously death if the circumstances are right. Without knowing more, the guess as to a major artery being hit and the child died from internal hemoraging is a pretty good guess IMO.
Very Tragic, my condolences to all that will directly suffer the pain of this incident.

#10 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

I used to have a BB gun where you could load pellets in to it. BB's themselves would hurt like heck and I'm sure if you pumped it up enough it would break skin. Pellets certainly. Terrible, terrible situation. I hope all parents with BB Guns take the time to teach their kids about the dangers. These things are certainly not toys.

#11 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

I used to have a BB gun where you could load pellets in to it. BB's themselves would hurt like heck and I'm sure if you pumped it up enough it would break skin. Pellets certainly. Terrible, terrible situation. I hope all parents with BB Guns take the time to teach their kids about the dangers. These things are certainly not toys.

My son's BB/Pellet gun is stored in the gun safe along with the other firearms I own. It hurts with one pump, I know it easily kills small game with 10 pumps.

I feel sorry for the victims parents as well as the poor child that I'm sure had no intention of killing his friend.
The news last night reported charges will not likely be filed.

This is such a sad tragedy, parents aren't supposed to have to bury their children and kids aren't supposed to grow up knowing that in a split second of stupidity while trying to have fun, they cost their friend his life.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users