51 replies to this topic

#1 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Has anybody else noticed the new sign that the crafty and sneaky city of Folsom has put up at the intersection of Iron Point Road and Grover Road? It says NO RIGHT HAND TURN ON RED. If you haven't noticed, please do so and please stop honking at me to go on red.

Not only is this the most irritating road sign, but the red light doesn't turn green if you are the only person at the light to turn right. And the response I got from the city of Folsom was even worse.

I found a contact person on the City's internet page and emailed the dept. of trans. and said that the trigger for the light to turn green for turning right doesn't work, and that you end up sitting at the red light not being able to turn right because of the new sign and the light not working. The response I got was that there is a gap in the trigger for the right hand turn and to make sure to stay a little more over to the left to turn right. They also said the new sign was installed because all the crosswalks for the high school turn green and all the traffic turns red, thus making it safer for the kids in the crosswalk.

While I understand that it is safer for the kids in the crosswalk, at least the city should have made the traffic control work correctly. What if you are not far enough over to the left to make the right turn, and the light never turns green? What if some crazy road rage driver pulls up behind you and not see the traffic sign and start honking at you and intimidating you about not turning right (this happened to my poor wife)? I just told her to make sure it is safe and turn right. It's safer to get a ticket for breaking the law than having some crazy road rage guy hurt her.

Am I wrong for thinking this new sign is poorly installed without working light controls? Who else could I contact at the city and voice my concerns (I know my voice isn't heard, but I put all my belief in government workers).

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 6 2008, 06:09 PM) View Post
Has anybody else noticed the new sign that the crafty and sneaky city of Folsom has put up at the intersection of Iron Point Road and Grover Road? It says NO RIGHT HAND TURN ON RED. If you haven't noticed, please do so and please stop honking at me to go on red.

Not only is this the most irritating road sign, but the red light doesn't turn green if you are the only person at the light to turn right. And the response I got from the city of Folsom was even worse.

I found a contact person on the City's internet page and emailed the dept. of trans. and said that the trigger for the light to turn green for turning right doesn't work, and that you end up sitting at the red light not being able to turn right because of the new sign and the light not working. The response I got was that there is a gap in the trigger for the right hand turn and to make sure to stay a little more over to the left to turn right. They also said the new sign was installed because all the crosswalks for the high school turn green and all the traffic turns red, thus making it safer for the kids in the crosswalk.

While I understand that it is safer for the kids in the crosswalk, at least the city should have made the traffic control work correctly. What if you are not far enough over to the left to make the right turn, and the light never turns green? What if some crazy road rage driver pulls up behind you and not see the traffic sign and start honking at you and intimidating you about not turning right (this happened to my poor wife)? I just told her to make sure it is safe and turn right. It's safer to get a ticket for breaking the law than having some crazy road rage guy hurt her.

Am I wrong for thinking this new sign is poorly installed without working light controls? Who else could I contact at the city and voice my concerns (I know my voice isn't heard, but I put all my belief in government workers).

go to a city council meeting
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

email mark rackovan mrackovan@folsom.ca.us - I just emailed too, I suggested to change the sign to "No right on red when pedestrians are present". During non-peak hours it's just annoying.

#4 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Sep 6 2008, 06:41 PM) View Post
go to a city council meeting

I don't mean to be sarcastic here, but do you mean I could go to a council meeting and voice my concerns, and actually have a traffic law changed? I didn't think anybody really cared in those meetings. I thought they were just feel good meetings. Especially when it comes to traffic laws they just all say we are ignorant.

I guess I'll try to go. I wonder if someone went already and had the sign posted.

#5 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

I have to pass by this sign on a regular basis and find it to be most annoying. It was horribly conceived. No sensor on the right side of the street to trigger the light, no conditional hours on the sign, and perfect visibility at the intersection. At most hours of the day, traffic is so light that the sign becomes ridiculous. I pretty much always follow posted street signs, but this one is sooo bad I just can't do it. I may catch up with me, but at that point I'd be compelled to fight it. angry.gif
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#6 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

I'm floored by it! I don't even know if it's been up there for a long time and I just now noticed it, or what. I can't believe that all these people that live on the streets near the school are complaining their tails off to the city about kids parking in front of their houses; with nothing being done about it. And then out of the blue someone decides to post these crazy signs for the crosswalk (that is when the kids use the crosswalk).

I'm going to a meeting and sending an email to what John is talking about.

#7 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

I just sent an email. Lets hope someone is taking note.
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#8 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

it's only been a week. Mr. Rackovan is usually very quick to respond... those of you who don't post on this board but are reading, I highly advise you to email as well. 3 emails will make a difference. 4, 5, 10 emails will certainly get noticed even more.

#9 pet lover

pet lover

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

I just sent an email. I haven't ever noticed the sign and I use that way to get to work almost every day.

#10 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

I stopped at that light the other day and I had not seen the no right turn on red. My son told me it was there so I sat there with my wife and two adult children for about 5 minutes.

The next day I waited over two minutes and said to heck with it and turned anyway on red.

I will call on Monday. It should be no right turn on red when children are present only.

What crap...

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#11 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Thor2074 @ Sep 6 2008, 07:27 PM) View Post
I don't mean to be sarcastic here, but do you mean I could go to a council meeting and voice my concerns, and actually have a traffic law changed? I didn't think anybody really cared in those meetings. I thought they were just feel good meetings. Especially when it comes to traffic laws they just all say we are ignorant.

I guess I'll try to go. I wonder if someone went already and had the sign posted.

I believe it might be more effective to bring this matter to the Traffic Safety Committee. You can call the City for more information. And try to be patient. smile.gif

#12 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

Well, guess what? No one from the city has agreed to enforce with signs or permits to stop the parking in the neighborhood by the high school....The person in charge said it was going to happen; well of course, another school year and nothing is done...However, I'm glad the city has the audacity to put up a No Turn on Red sign and have the traffic control for it not working...HOW DO YOU SAY IDIOTIC in Folsom language???
OMG, the CITY doesn't care about the affected neighborhood at all...There was so much toilet paper left on Grover to cover a few houses the other day....PLEASE EVERYONE email to complain about the students parking off-campus and the stupid new sign that doesn't work......
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#13 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

I just fired off an email to Mark Rackovan, (copies to) Kerry Miller (city manager) and the Folsom Police Department. I included a few of the myfolsom entries. I also requested a reply.

Mr Rackovan,

I stopped at the red light at Grover and Iron Point Road the other day and was about to make a right turn on red when my son told me that there was a no right turn on red sign. I had not seen sign. We sat there with my wife and two adult children for about 5 minutes. The light did not turn green the whole time until another vehicle came up to make a left hand turn onto Iron Point.

I don't know who set this thing up but they must have had there head somewhere besides on their shoulders.

I can see a no right turn on red when children are present, but 24/7 ???

Let's get serious.

Please get this taken care of as soon as possible because I can not believe you meant it to be this way.

---

Email: Mark Rackovan at mrackovan@folsom.ca.us

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#14 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

this sounds like a mission for batman, no scratch that, for councilperson fiesty kerri ...to the rescue

#15 Thor2074

Thor2074

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

I emailed too. That is five confirmed emails. Let's get some more of you to send to, please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users