Photo
- - - - -

Our Toddler Just Chipped One Of His Front Teeth...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

So my wife just picked up our youngest (21 months) son from child care today and as we were preparing food for our boys to eat for dinner my wife pointed out that he was missing part of one of his front teeth. Looks like 1/2 of a V if that makes sense? so I would say almost a 1/4 of the tooth at least is missing.

We are unsure if he did this at childcare or within the 10-20 minutes of being home and playing with his 4 year old brother in the backyard. I was doing something in the garage, but my wife says nothing unusual happened while the two boys were playing. He doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain at all, but also won't really let us get a good look at it either. Almost as if he knows it looks different now.

We made an emergency call into our dentist, but they say they can't tell us anything or get us any info until tomorrow. I'm just wondering if there is anything or any reason to get excited about. Has anyone else had this happen? I've read a few blogs that say don't worry about it as it will fall out anyway and his adult teeth will be coming in anyway. Any help greatly appreciated.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

http://www.weservicepools.com/

#2 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Can you tell if any of the root is exposed?
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#3 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Can you tell if any of the root is exposed?

Doesn't look like it, but I may have to wait till he falls asleep to get a better look.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

If any of the root is exposed, the dentist will want to cap it to protect the root and the tooth.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 Pool Runner

Pool Runner

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

If any of the root is exposed, the dentist will want to cap it to protect the root and the tooth.

I figured this was the protoco, will see what they say.
"Wow! What a Ride!"

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

When my daughter was 2 or 3 she was playing leapfrog in the house and fell on her face. She drove her front tooth up into the bone and it dropped back down. The doctor said that since it is a baby tooth they just need to worry about spacing so they used a paper clip and super glue to hold the tooth there for 3 days as the new tooth appeared on the horizon.

Its after they have lost their baby teeth you really have to worry. Unless your second child has shark teeth rows in his jaw bone, which is an entirely different story as they have to be pulled out as they develop <sigh>.

#7 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

The health of baby teeth is absolutely important and impacts the health of permanent teeth. Anybody who tells you differently is wrong!

#8 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

When my daughter was 2 or 3 she was playing leapfrog in the house and fell on her face. She drove her front tooth up into the bone and it dropped back down. The doctor said that since it is a baby tooth they just need to worry about spacing so they used a paper clip and super glue to hold the tooth there for 3 days as the new tooth appeared on the horizon.

Its after they have lost their baby teeth you really have to worry. Unless your second child has shark teeth rows in his jaw bone, which is an entirely different story as they have to be pulled out as they develop <sigh>.

A paper clip and super glue?!??! :CRAZYLOCO: What dentist would do that?!??! Note to self: avoid that dentist at all costs.

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

A paper clip and super glue?!??! :CRAZYLOCO: What dentist would do that?!??! Note to self: avoid that dentist at all costs.

The tooth had completely come out. The dentist was just using it as a spce holder until the small tooth underneath had a chance to take a stronger root and gegin dropping down. The xrays showed her tooth was already crowning from the bone when the accident happened.

Shrugged----that accident was a long time ago. now she is almost an adult and her teeth look fantastic. Never needed braces

#10 Dr.P

Dr.P

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

The health of baby teeth is absolutely important and impacts the health of permanent teeth. Anybody who tells you differently is wrong!

good point Nomad

www.folsomfamilydental.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users