13 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Did you know that testicular cancer, while relatively rare compared to other cancers, is most common in males between the ages of 15 and 34? The son of a friend is about to begin his second round of chemo for this cancer, which he didn't discover as early as would be ideal. He had no signs of cancer after his first round, but it is back. He is in his early 30s and has a wife and young children.

So much public attention is paid to breast cancer, self-exams, and mammorgrams, but I just don't recall hearing much about testicular cancer in the news. It would be prudent to educate yourselves and your sons.  http://www.mayoclini...-cancer/DS00046

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

a friend of mine got this when he was 23.  he underwent chemo for a year, heavy duty chemo, plus had the lymph nodes up and down his central body stripped out.  he is now a 60 year old grandfather with no sign of cancer.  soooooo, keep the faith!  there are great success stories!

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

there are great success stories!

Absolutely, especially when caught early -- hence the need for self-exams. :) I'm so glad your friend kicked cancer!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#4 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

I had a friend who was diagnosed with testicular cancer in his early 30s. He went through treatment and has been fine ever since!

#5 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Interesting how NFL and even MLB baseball do breast cancer awareness months while for men we get nothing. 

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Interesting how NFL and even MLB baseball do breast cancer awareness months while for men we get nothing. 

Very good point!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well, you do have Lance Armstrong.

But I think you're missing the points that (1) far more women get breast cancer than men get testicular cancer; and (2) breast cancer is much more deadly than testicular cancer, which has a cure rate in the 90+ percentile.

I don't mean to misread you, but your post has a bitter tone to it, as if you think this is somehow a big (liberal?) conspiracy to deprive you of something you're due.  Sheesh!  If you want to start some kind of testicular cancer campaign, no one's going to stop you!   

#8 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well, you do have Lance Armstrong.

But I think you're missing the points that (1) far more women get breast cancer than men get testicular cancer; and (2) breast cancer is much more deadly than testicular cancer, which has a cure rate in the 90+ percentile.

I don't mean to misread you, but your post has a bitter tone to it, as if you think this is somehow a big (liberal?) conspiracy to deprive you of something you're due.  Sheesh!  If you want to start some kind of testicular cancer campaign, no one's going to stop you!   

Lance, one of the greatest cheats and the frauds the world has ever seen?!?! Yeah that's one helluva rep we have there.

I should have mentioned Prostate cancer but I'm sure that's a non-game changer to you anyways. And men can get breast cancer too so I guess there really is no argument to make then (according to what you would probably say).

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

do I detect a cancer fight?  :)

so can testicular cancer be checked with a self-exam?  I look forward to seeing the public awareness campaign myself.  All of the funny things they have done for breast cancer, like "save the tatas", etc.  Maybe testicular awareness could be something like..."Be the Squirrel.  Check your nuts."  :)

I'll duck out of the room now.

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

so can testicular cancer be checked with a self-exam?

Monthly self-exam can be useful in detecting unusual lumps or bumps.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#11 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Maybe testicular awareness could be something like..."Be the Squirrel.  Check your nuts."  :)

Clever, clever!  I think you have a future as an ad writer. 

I should have mentioned Prostate cancer but I'm sure that's a non-game changer to you anyways. And men can get breast cancer too so I guess there really is no argument to make then (according to what you would probably say).

But the point remains... who, exactly, is stopping men from starting a big prostrate cancer awareness campaign?  Most men who get it are retired, so they have plenty of time on their hands... 

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

You know what would be one way to make it more balanced between the sexes? If there were a male equivalent of a mammogram to check for testicular cancer!! Can you imagine that?! Guys could finally share the joy!

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

You know what would be one way to make it more balanced between the sexes? If there were a male equivalent of a mammogram to check for testicular cancer!! Can you imagine that?! Guys could finally share the joy!

There is. Most are too manly to admit in public though. 

Imagine being married to a extra pairs of  hands/partner with a strong sense of begrudging their partner a helpful monthly checkup?

teee hee heeeee heee oh lo.... Bc really got me on the wrong side of the ditch with those comments.....

#14 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

Hmm, looks like some posts have disappeared from this discussion.  Gosh, I thought it was a rather tame discussion... ok, back to bunnies and sunshine!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users