32 replies to this topic

#16 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

That SB6141 you have supports DOCSIS 3.0 and should work with increased speeds. What were your speeds before?

#17 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

I was visited by a salesman last weekend, said they just laid fiberoptic line in my neighborhood, and the standard speed was 105mg. I have slowpoke ATT at just 24 mg, so this is really enticing. The only thing, so many of my coworkers have Comcast, and they are frequently down. I wonder if it's because Comcast is putting in all this special line.

What's so great about fiberoptic vs the old standard whatever line? Other than speed, what's the benefits?

Comcast does seem to have good packages/bundles, and I like that eventually I could use all of their services, vs having separate services. As for the bad service, I have the salesguy's direct line, and he said I could call him if I had any issues. The online price for internet, TV & phone is $99, which is way less than what I'm paying for the 3 services with ATT/Direct TV.

Has anyone used their home security product?

#18 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:27 AM

I have comcast for internet and I cannot remember the last time it was down. Its been over a year. As far as the $99 price, remember that is their sucker you in price. They all do that. You need to find out what the price is in 12 months when all the discounts end. Then add a couple bucks because you know they are going to have a price increase year over year. 

#19 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

I talked to the salerep today, the one who came to my door. He has an exclusive offer for new business depending on the TV package of course. I get the 105 mg internet speed (online you only get 50 mg) with a $175 gift card (online it's only $100) for a 2 year contract. The price doesn't change after 90 days, unlike Direct TV. The $99 price is still less than what I pay with ATT internet only, phone & Direct TV. Plus, the internet speed is way faster than the highest ATT can offer. 

#20 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:05 PM

I just checked my speed on comcast and it it 59.61 Mbps Download and 6.08 Mbps Upload.

We have cable TV, internet and phone bundle. Also have Showtime (not HBO or Cinamax)

Cost around $150-$160 a month.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#21 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

We're going on our 5th year with Comcast and that lovely intro price has risen to over $170/month for the triple play ( internet/phone/cable), with NFL channel but no movie channels or anything like that. As soon as football season is over we're dropping the cable completely and looking for internet alone. Ridiculous.

#22 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

The salesrep says Comcast typically has their best offers at christmas. He said he can give people a better deal as a direct salesman, then if you went through the website. So...if you'd like his name & phone#, PM me. 

#23 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

i have comcast and we get dropped at least 6 times a day. worse service i have ever had in my life. 

fast? yeah, when it works. 

#24 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:08 AM

The salesrep says Comcast typically has their best offers at christmas. He said he can give people a better deal as a direct salesman, then if you went through the website. So...if you'd like his name & phone#, PM me. 

LOL...he is a sales rep. If we were near Easter he would tell you that they typically have their best offers at Easter. Or breast cancer awareness day as we approach that. Don't fall for their gimmicks and tricks. Two things are certain. The price will go up after a certain period of time and will you be happy at the new price? The other thing is there are always deals. If you don't see what you are looking for ask. 

#25 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:27 AM

I've got Comcast DSL and it's been rock solid, and fast. 

An ATT rep came by yesterday telling me I'm lucky that they ran fibre on my street and I can now get it to my house.

Kept trying to sell me on TV packages, which I don't care about. 

So I asked him what are the network speeds and he said, you're lucky! it's up to 18mb/s for only $120 a month with TV.

Um, I'm ready getting 70mb/s on copper and it costs less and I use Dish for TV. I'm sticking with Comcast DSL for now.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#26 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

I will be locked in at the same rate for 2 years. The service they are offering is far better than what I currently have. If I'm unhappy in 2 years, then I can change again. 

#27 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

Funny you should mention this, our cable box just now ate poop and died, but the internet is still working

"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#28 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

My X1 box went out tonight. I tried to call the 800/866 numbers and they were all busy.

I unplugged the box for over 30 seconds and plugged it back and and it is now working again.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#29 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

I've got Comcast DSL and it's been rock solid, and fast. 

An ATT rep came by yesterday telling me I'm lucky that they ran fibre on my street and I can now get it to my house.

Kept trying to sell me on TV packages, which I don't care about. 

So I asked him what are the network speeds and he said, you're lucky! it's up to 18mb/s for only $120 a month with TV.

Um, I'm ready getting 70mb/s on copper and it costs less and I use Dish for TV. I'm sticking with Comcast DSL for now.

Dave, you meant you have cable modem over coax, correct?  Comcast doesn't do DSL :)  If that speed and price is what they are offering you, then they didn't run that fiber on your street as close as the rep claimed.  I have 24 mbps service via U-verse and the node is 2 streets over.  Plus I think you can get better deals online than what the rep is offering.

I was visited by a salesman last weekend, said they just laid fiberoptic line in my neighborhood, and the standard speed was 105mg. I have slowpoke ATT at just 24 mg, so this is really enticing. The only thing, so many of my coworkers have Comcast, and they are frequently down. I wonder if it's because Comcast is putting in all this special line.

What's so great about fiberoptic vs the old standard whatever line? Other than speed, what's the benefits?

Comcast does seem to have good packages/bundles, and I like that eventually I could use all of their services, vs having separate services. As for the bad service, I have the salesguy's direct line, and he said I could call him if I had any issues. The online price for internet, TV & phone is $99, which is way less than what I'm paying for the 3 services with ATT/Direct TV.

Has anyone used their home security product?

Whatever salesmen have been visiting Dave and Cali are full of nonsense.  The speed upgrades to 105 Mbps and beyond were due to DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades and had nothing to do with laying fiber cable in your neighborhood.  This was done for nearly all customers everywhere.  There is likely no fiber on your street, and I don't think Comcast would spend the money to dig up everyone's front yards to run fiber to every home.  I'm not very trustworthy of door-to-door sales reps, and won't buy anything from them, especially if they don't produce a valid solicitor's permit from the City.  Many years ago in another town where I believed, AT&T was trying to sell wireless broadband and canvassed the neighborhood with salespeople.  I already had cable modem at the time and was not going to switch.  The sales reps tried to tell me that the phone companies were going to start ripping out all the phone lines and converting everyone to wireless and that I should buy now before they took away my phone.  AT&T wasn't even the local phone company, it was Sprint.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#30 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Dave, you meant you have cable modem over coax, correct?  Comcast doesn't do DSL :)  If that speed and price is what they are offering you, then they didn't run that fiber on your street as close as the rep claimed.  I have 24 mbps service via U-verse and the node is 2 streets over.  Plus I think you can get better deals online than what the rep is offering.

Whatever salesmen have been visiting Dave and Cali are full of nonsense.  

Yes correct, I really just meant to note that I'm not doing a TV/Internet bundle, just internet only (with upgraded service).

I agree that he was full of nonsense.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users