66 replies to this topic

#16 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Those grass fields cost more to reseed than to run water during a drought. And I do think the city should have green parks during a drought to let kids play somewhere- where it isn't prickly and grizzly. 

On the other hand, I do think that directional sprinklers and timers for them should be monitored more often during droughts. Waste not-want not.

#17 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

If it is grass fields used for sports I've heard it's a liability issue.  If' it's just a matter of keeping grass for aesthetics, then that's wrong.

Its the entire park, not just the soccer field. 

#18 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Those grass fields cost more to reseed than to run water during a drought. And I do think the city should have green parks during a drought to let kids play somewhere- where it isn't prickly and grizzly. 

On the other hand, I do think that directional sprinklers and timers for them should be monitored more often during droughts. Waste not-want not.

I'm not proposing they just let all the grass die,  There are happy mediums where you can cut back watering just enough to keep a lawn alive and not have to replant.

#19 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I'm not proposing they just let all the grass die,  There are happy mediums where you can cut back watering just enough to keep a lawn alive and not have to replant.

I agree.  There is a difference in keeping it alive and keeping it squishy.

A lot of our shopping centers don't seem to be making any changes in watering times or sprinkler maintenance either.

#20 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

I lived across Ernie Sheldon park for 10yr and now Handy park for the last 3yr and can tell you as a whole the city does a poor job of regulating water usage on the lawns.  I have had to make several calls to the city over the years saying hey guys Summer is here and all the lawn in the park is dying...  WHen are you going to start watering?  And again in the Fall when the days start getting shorter and they're still laying down water like its July, and the fields are so saturated you cant even walk on them.  It always seems to be one extreme or the other.  If the city doesn't have the right/adequate people to manage appropriate water usage in the parks during various times of the year then maybe its time to consider upgrading to smart irrigation systems with built in soil meters.

#21 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

I lived across Ernie Sheldon park for 10yr and now Handy park for the last 3yr and can tell you as a whole the city does a poor job of regulating water usage on the lawns.  I have had to make several calls to the city over the years saying hey guys Summer is here and all the lawn in the park is dying...  WHen are you going to start watering?  And again in the Fall when the days start getting shorter and they're still laying down water like its July, and the fields are so saturated you cant even walk on them.  It always seems to be one extreme or the other.  If the city doesn't have the right/adequate people to manage appropriate water usage in the parks during various times of the year then maybe its time to consider upgrading to smart irrigation systems with built in soil meters.

I thought they were supposed to be doing that or already had installed smart irrigation.  It's under the "Water Conservation" paragraph.

www.folsom.ca.us/depts/parks_n_recreation/landscape.asp

#22 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Just got my water bill for this month.  Since February we have used 1/2 to 2/3 less water then we were using at the same time last year. My lawn is very brown compared to some of my neighbors who have impeccable looking lush green lawns. Are they cheating and watering more then me? Is there a type of grass that stays lush and green with very little water? I need to find that stuff.....

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#23 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Just got my water bill for this month.  Since February we have used 1/2 to 2/3 less water then we were using at the same time last year. My lawn is very brown compared to some of my neighbors who have impeccable looking lush green lawns. Are they cheating and watering more then me? Is there a type of grass that stays lush and green with very little water? I need to find that stuff.....

Night watering. Walk the neighborhood at night and you'll see. People watering lawns and plants with the hose hoping to avoid scrutiny with the cover of darkness. 

#24 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Night watering. Walk the neighborhood at night and you'll see. People watering lawns and plants with the hose hoping to avoid scrutiny with the cover of darkness. 

That's just silly.  I don't see why that is necessary unless your forgot to water on your assigned day and were afraid a neighbor would rat you out for watering on the wrong day.

I water at night and early morning hours to make sure the plants get the water and it doesn't just evaporate.  I think the restrictions are no automatic irrigation between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

#25 mrdavex

mrdavex

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

Yes, it's possible they're watering much more and obviously don't care about conservation.  But there could be a few other factors: more shade, drought tolerant grass species, better soil prep, less soil compaction.  My front lawn is pretty brown, but my back lawn is greener, even though I water the back less than the front.  There is little shade to the front lawn and it gets the harsh western sun.  Whereas, the back lawn is surrounded by trees and structures and only gets the cooler, morning eastern sun.  Also, most homes around here, like mine, had the grass installed badly where the builder just rolled sod over the hard ground.  To do it right, you need to till the soil down several inches, rake out any large rocks, add compost and top soil, adjust the soil pH, and make sure there are the right amounts of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium.  All of this before laying any seed or sod.  Then you must choose the right species of grass based on climate and sun/shade exposure.  Finally, there is the ongoing maintenance: water correctly so your grass develops deep roots, mow high, aerate 2x a year, fertilize 4x a year, dethatch, overseed, repair pet damage, etc, etc.  It takes hard work and a lot of dough to maintain a lush green lawn.  

--
"Let's just hope Comcast doesn't own any tanks."
-Robert X. Cringely

#26 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Yet again I will say... MOW LESS OFTEN!!!! It really helps keep a lawn greener with a lot less moisture loss.

Dawn Grove

#27 (Cheesesteak)

(Cheesesteak)
  • Visitors

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

Well - parts of Southern California simply don't want to bother with brown lawns - and have decided not to impose outdoor watering restrictions.  You do know where their water comes from - right?

Santa Clarita Water Division approved watering schedule

By Jim Holt
Signal Senior Staff Writer
jimh@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
August 14, 2014

Watering your lawn every other day and never on Saturday’s became a locally-enforced ordinance Thursday night for Santa Clarita Valley residents who get their water from the Santa Clarita Water Division.

After a lengthy board meeting — with board members complaining about the hardship of maintaining their own green lawns on a limited watering schedule — they voted to endorse a resolution calling for a watering scheduling designed to meet state mandated water regulations.

Eight board members voted in favor of the three-day weekly watering schedule, Ed Colley voted against it and B.J. Atkins abstained.

In the end, despite reservations and fears of Santa Clarita Valley having brown lawns due tolimited watering, board members of the Castaic Lake Water Agency (who serve also as board members of the SCWD) voted in favor of a plan to meet state water demands.

The vote to adopt water restrictions as proposed by the Santa Clarita Valley Water Committee late last month was passed with one consideration — that the list of exemptions for people told to water only three days a week be expanded.

“Other people’s concerns that they’re going to lose their lawn with a three-day watering schedule are valid,” said Colley. “I hope we include more liberal exemptions to include those folks who can demonstrate their commitment to conserving water.”

Board member Bob DiPrimio said: “I think people will lose their lawns and I’m concerned about those residents losing their lawns.”

DiPrimio asked SCWD’s Retail Manager Mauricio Guardado Jr. about the option of just asking people to conserve water.

“We’ve tried that it doesn’t work,” Guardado said.

Late last month, water officials unveiled two proposed landscape-watering schedules — a summer schedule and a winter one — that are expected to be endorsed in the next couple of days by local water agencies charged with enforcing California’s new water-use regulations.

Residents could water their yards only three days a week during the summer schedule — April to October — and two days a week during the winter schedule — November to March. The days of the week would be determined by their addresses.

On Thursday, the board of directors for the Newhall County Water District and the Valencia Water Company are scheduled to vote on a similar ordinance.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
On Twitter
@jamesarthurholt

http://www.signalscv...article/125894/

#28 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yet again I will say... MOW LESS OFTEN!!!! It really helps keep a lawn greener with a lot less moisture loss.

:) 

Level three on the mower blade.....skateboard ramps and 2 x 4 holding the lawn mower 18" above the soil. 

No officer, we don't need a weed wacker across our lawn.....

#29 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

Well - parts of Southern California simply don't want to bother with brown lawns - and have decided not to impose outdoor watering restrictions.  You do know where their water comes from - right?

Santa Clarita Water Division approved watering schedule

By Jim Holt
Signal Senior Staff Writer
jimh@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
August 14, 2014

Watering your lawn every other day and never on Saturday’s became a locally-enforced ordinance Thursday night for Santa Clarita Valley residents who get their water from the Santa Clarita Water Division.

After a lengthy board meeting — with board members complaining about the hardship of maintaining their own green lawns on a limited watering schedule — they voted to endorse a resolution calling for a watering scheduling designed to meet state mandated water regulations.

Eight board members voted in favor of the three-day weekly watering schedule, Ed Colley voted against it and B.J. Atkins abstained.

In the end, despite reservations and fears of Santa Clarita Valley having brown lawns due tolimited watering, board members of the Castaic Lake Water Agency (who serve also as board members of the SCWD) voted in favor of a plan to meet state water demands.

The vote to adopt water restrictions as proposed by the Santa Clarita Valley Water Committee late last month was passed with one consideration — that the list of exemptions for people told to water only three days a week be expanded.

“Other people’s concerns that they’re going to lose their lawn with a three-day watering schedule are valid,” said Colley. “I hope we include more liberal exemptions to include those folks who can demonstrate their commitment to conserving water.”

Board member Bob DiPrimio said: “I think people will lose their lawns and I’m concerned about those residents losing their lawns.”

DiPrimio asked SCWD’s Retail Manager Mauricio Guardado Jr. about the option of just asking people to conserve water.

“We’ve tried that it doesn’t work,” Guardado said.

Late last month, water officials unveiled two proposed landscape-watering schedules — a summer schedule and a winter one — that are expected to be endorsed in the next couple of days by local water agencies charged with enforcing California’s new water-use regulations.

Residents could water their yards only three days a week during the summer schedule — April to October — and two days a week during the winter schedule — November to March. The days of the week would be determined by their addresses.

On Thursday, the board of directors for the Newhall County Water District and the Valencia Water Company are scheduled to vote on a similar ordinance.

jholt@signalscv.com
661-287-5527
On Twitter
@jamesarthurholt

http://www.signalscv...article/125894/

I just returned from Palm Springs, Not a whole lot of conservation going on in the So-Cal desert, Lots of green lawns, Grass medians and Perfectly manicured golf courses.

#30 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

I just returned from Palm Springs, Not a whole lot of conservation going on in the So-Cal desert, Lots of green lawns, Grass medians and Perfectly manicured golf courses.

Pretty good for a desert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users