49 replies to this topic

#16 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

Chris, that just sucks. I've been so sad all day and my attachment is nothing compared to yours. I can't begin to comprehend how you must feel. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so angry that this is happening!

It literally feels like a good fiend was killed... which in a way is true.  If no one objects too much, I'd like to post some photos...

These are all either in EDNF or looking towards EDNF.  Not all of these photos are areas that are affected by this fire, at least not yet.  Just a showcase of beauty.

Winter time (undisclosed location)

IMG_0548_zpsda14ef5b.jpg

Looking towards French Meadows Reservoir from Duncan Peak fire Lookout.  The fire currently is coming up over the ridgeline behind the lake.

DSC02381.jpg

A pic of what was behind me... Duncan Peak Lookout

DSC03859.jpg

#17 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

This is McKinstry Lake, which is on the south side of Hell Hole Reservoir... The fire is just on the other side of the ridge.

DSC_1396.jpg

This is from the top of McKinstry Peak looking towards Loon Lake, Hell Hole is directly behind me about 3000' below.  The fire is creeping up the hillside behind me.

DSC_1376.jpg

Union Valley Reservoir, the fire is heading towards this area...

IMG_2315.jpg

Crossing the creek on a log bridge

IMG_2327.jpg

Top of Bassi Falls... No fire danger at this time.

DSC_0675.jpg

Sun Rock

DSC_0732.jpg

#18 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Tragic!

#19 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Those photos are gorgeous. I get a certain energy from the Sierra that I feel when I'm nowhere else. It could be that they are the only mountains I've ever lived by and have been able to spend significant time in, but for whatever reason, they are a little part of me. I have a little bit of the feeling that you must have, that they are a huge part of you.

May your friend get well soon and recover quickly.

#20 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Slab Creek Reservoir way up top on Cable Point, Poho Ridge is behind me, that has burned.

SlabCreek_zpsb236c69e.jpg

Brush Creek Reservoir, the whole surrounding area is gone, burned.

BrushCreekReservoir_zps0f24b317.jpg

Stumpy Meadows, the whole area is gone, burned.

StumpyMeadows1_zpse1af8c90.jpg

StumpyMeadows2_zps626a265d.jpg

StumpyMeadows3_zps3516e3e7.jpg

StumpyMeadows6_zps4f36ad38.jpg

On top of the peak to the south of Stumpy Meadows, ironically there used to be a fire lookout up here.  Most everything in this picture is gone, burned.

StumpyMeadows4_zps4bd533de.jpg

#21 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

And the last bit for now... This area is the Rubicon Canyon directly north of Stumpy Meadows.  There are no roads to this place.  It is a steep off trail bushwhack.  You descend roughly 2300' in about a mile.  Steep doesn't explain it.  Very dangerous and very dense forest.  Poison Oak everywhere.  Climbing back out the only thing we could use to hold onto was the poison oak.  Needless to say we got it everywhere.  This next set of pictures, none of this is left.  It is all burned, gone.

RubiconCanyon1_zpsc7b56da9.jpg

RubiconCanyon2_zps821cdf5e.jpg

Look close and you'll see the waterfall

RubiconCanyon3_zpsb40a4d54.jpg

And the Rubicon River

RubiconRiver1_zps3611c53c.jpg

RubiconRiver2_zps497a4c1c.jpg

#22 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thank you for sharing those pictures, Chris. It's sad to know so much has burned already and the fire isn't yet contained.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#23 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

The El Dorado National Forest is where I grew up. I have spent countless days deep in the woods throughout my life since I was a child. I can honestly say I've been places there that are so remote most don't even know they exist. It was my playground. And now it's gone. I am devastated.

Yep....many many people loved going up to that area to spend time at Stumpy meadows, run the Hell Hole trail, Uncle Toms, and on up to the Rubicon. Nature will come back. Its not gone forever, just for our lifetime.

A recently retired former Senior CA USFS official commented shortly after leaving regarding our poorly managed Federal Forest lands compliments of burdensome EPA and other bureaucratic policies . . . 

"It's either coming out via logging trucks as a product benefiting CA commerce and jobs or it's coming out as smoke and devastation to life and property, which would you prefer?"

It is 5 decades of mismanagement created by the green movement hamstringing the land managers with lawsuits. I hope whatever frogs are left up there after this fire are happy. 

#24 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Speaking of Stumpy here are some amazing pictures from Wednesday night. 

https://www.facebook...78807987&type=1

#25 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

It will all be well recovered in ten years. And it will be much better within just five years. The Star fire wasn't that long ago and it has well on its way to coming back. Fire is a natural thing, although the intensity of this one was big. But it will come back!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#26 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

Those photos are amazing, chris v.  Such a shame that's all gone.

#27 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

If people are interested this is probably the best and most current fire map around is constantly getting updated.  You can see the winds are currently blowing to the west. Blowing the fire down the canyons back into itself. Winds are expected to change direction later this afternoon and blow the fire back up the canyons. 

http://www.mappingsu...fires_basic.txt

#28 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Your pictures are incredible, Chris.  Since I'm not too rugged a person, I don't know if I will ever see such remote natural beauty--so thank you for sharing the pictures. 

#29 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Speaking of Stumpy here are some amazing pictures from Wednesday night. 

https://www.facebook...78807987&type=1

Great photos.  Thanks.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#30 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Containment is rising. At 17% and still growing slowly at 82000 acres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users