Photo

Sacramento 4th Most Courteous City In The U.s.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Silverado

Silverado

Superstar

• Photographer
  • 782 posts
  • Interests:Photography, ATVs, Jeepin', the Great Outdoors

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:29 PM

4th best... I'm a little surprised given some of the antics I've seen. I guess compared to a place like New York with it's east coast hospitality, we live sheltered lives. laugh.gif

National Road Rage Survey Ranks Sacramento 4th Most Courteous Courteous City in U.S.

Norwalk, Conn., June 16, 2009 –The commute to work can be an unpleasant one for people across the country, but the road seems to be pretty smooth for Sacramento drivers.

The fourth annual In the Driver’s Seat Road Rage Survey, commissioned by AutoVantage, a leading national auto club, found that Sacramento is the fourth most courteous city in the country in terms of road rage, compared to 24 other major American cities. That’s up from last year’s No. 7 ranking.

Contributing to its improvement in the survey findings, Sacramento drivers, tied with Baltimore, are the least likely to observe other drivers who are texting, e-mailing and/or using their BlackBerry behind the wheel every day. Also ranked No. 1, Sacramento drivers (tied with Phoenix) are the least likely to observe other drivers multi-tasking (such as putting on makeup, shaving or reading) on a daily basis.

http://www.affiniong...ge_09/index.htm
The inconsistencies are so compounded as to present a seemingly impossible phenomenon. -Mr. Spock

#2 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:58 PM

I wonder if it helped to have the new bridge open.

As for texting while driving, I think Folsomites might have bad eyesite,
because that survey cannot be right based on the volume of people
that I see texting, calling, even reading newspapers while driving.

Still, I guess it's an honor - there has to be SOME truth to the idea,
and it may well be that people ARE nice here. Way to go!
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#3 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE (UncleVinny @ Oct 3 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if it helped to have the new bridge open.

As for texting while driving, I think Folsomites might have bad eyesite,
because that survey cannot be right based on the volume of people
that I see texting, calling, even reading newspapers while driving.

Still, I guess it's an honor - there has to be SOME truth to the idea,
and it may well be that people ARE nice here. Way to go!

that survey only applies to Sacramento, Folsom could learn a lot about courtesy from sacramento residents. There are to many inconsiderate snobs here and from EDH who are way too self centered and rude to ever achieve such a title for Folsom

most of us are nice, but unfortunately the jerky snobs sometimes out number us nice folks

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#4 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (Silverado @ Oct 3 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4th best... I'm a little surprised given some of the antics I've seen. I guess compared to a place like New York with it's east coast hospitality, we live sheltered lives. laugh.gif

National Road Rage Survey Ranks Sacramento 4th Most Courteous Courteous City in U.S.

Norwalk, Conn., June 16, 2009 –The commute to work can be an unpleasant one for people across the country, but the road seems to be pretty smooth for Sacramento drivers.

The fourth annual In the Driver's Seat Road Rage Survey, commissioned by AutoVantage, a leading national auto club, found that Sacramento is the fourth most courteous city in the country in terms of road rage, compared to 24 other major American cities. That's up from last year's No. 7 ranking.

Contributing to its improvement in the survey findings, Sacramento drivers, tied with Baltimore, are the least likely to observe other drivers who are texting, e-mailing and/or using their BlackBerry behind the wheel every day. Also ranked No. 1, Sacramento drivers (tied with Phoenix) are the least likely to observe other drivers multi-tasking (such as putting on makeup, shaving or reading) on a daily basis.

http://www.affiniong...ge_09/index.htm

That's pretty funny since it's not been very long since the Business 80 was judged to have had the rudest most aggressive drivers in the state by an earlier survey...!

My favorit driving-while doing something else observation, was the lady on the morning HWY 50 commute out of Folsom driving a nice Mercedes with one had holding her bowl of cereal, and other a spoon!!!
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#5 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:27 AM

Considerate...but perhaps a little accident-prone:

<h1 id="story_headline">Sacramento is also state's crash capital</h1>

Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:59 AM

It's easy to be courteous when there's so little traffic.

Also there are a few places (like the downtown exits on w/b 50, or the 50 exit on s/b 5) where you have to be nice or you'll get killed.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (FolsomFrogGuy @ Oct 4 2009, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorit driving-while doing something else observation, was the lady on the morning HWY 50 commute out of Folsom driving a nice Mercedes with one had holding her bowl of cereal, and other a spoon!!!

Mine is a woman who had just finished eating something from a plate and was licking the plate while driving.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#8 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Oct 6 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is a woman who had just finished eating something from a plate and was licking the plate while driving.

Mine was the guy holding a novel on the top of his steering wheel. It made me wonder how many books has he read while driving.
I would rather be Backpacking

#9 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Deb B @ Oct 6 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, shoot. You saw that? blush.gif I just didn't want to let any authentic Folsom Chinese food to go to waste.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Oct 6 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, shoot. You saw that? blush.gif I just didn't want to let any authentic Folsom Chinese food to go to waste.

laugh.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

Excuse me, but would someone mind passing the Grey Poupon?

Thank you.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#12 legofamily

legofamily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Reading
    Hiking
    Photography
    Sports
    Science

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

I saw one lady who was putting on her mascara while driving. I also saw a person eating a block of cheese while driving.

#13 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Funny, I was listening to KFBK on the way home and they were talking about Sacramento being on a list of having the most deadly accidents per capita or something. don't know if it was a CA only list, or a USA wide list, but the first thing I thought when hearing it was a new motto for Sacto:

Sacramento has the most courteous deadly drivers on the road, we might kill ya, but we do it nicely.
I would rather be Backpacking

#14 Renee Thompson

Renee Thompson

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Writing, walking, reading, camping, birdwatching, playing the piano.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

I saw one of the most frightening incidents I've ever seen anywhere, on Hwy. 50, approximately 8:45 a.m., Oct. 9. As I was driving west from the East Bidwell exit, I passed the Folsom Blvd., exit, noticing that a man was tail gating a woman in the merging lane. As the woman drove onto the freeway, the man gunned his engine and sped around her, driving into the lane next to hers. In turn, she flipped him off.

And guess what? He didn't like it. He then swerved back into her lane, nearly cutting her off in the process, slammed on his brakes, and came to a complete STOP on the freeway, forcing her to do the same. (My heart was pounding, so God knows how she felt.) I slowed, as did all the other cars in the vicinity, worried he'd jump out of his car and maybe jerk her from hers. Whatever he was thinking, I'm pretty sure it wasn't courteous -- thank heaven he finally came to his senses and drove off.

#15 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Renee Thompson @ Oct 11 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw one of the most frightening incidents I've ever seen anywhere, on Hwy. 50, approximately 8:45 a.m., Oct. 9. As I was driving west from the East Bidwell exit, I passed the Folsom Blvd., exit, noticing that a man was tail gating a woman in the merging lane. As the woman drove onto the freeway, the man gunned his engine and sped around her, driving into the lane next to hers. In turn, she flipped him off.

And guess what? He didn't like it. He then swerved back into her lane, nearly cutting her off in the process, slammed on his brakes, and came to a complete STOP on the freeway, forcing her to do the same. (My heart was pounding, so God knows how she felt.) I slowed, as did all the other cars in the vicinity, worried he'd jump out of his car and maybe jerk her from hers. Whatever he was thinking, I'm pretty sure it wasn't courteous -- thank heaven he finally came to his senses and drove off.

The same situation happened to me when I was driving on 99 in Elk Grove by Elk Grove blvd. I was driving in the car pool lane and two men in a truck cut me off to get in the carpool lane. I am not an agressive driver so I just let it go. However, he was definelty not going with the speed of traffic and driving about 60 mph. I had about 5-6 cars behind me ridding my tail so I started to move closer to his truck. Well he decided to slam on his brakes super hard. I had no other choice but to pull my car to the left by the median to avoid hitting him or being hit. He swerved his truck at my car near the side that had my 1yr old son nearly pushing my car into the divide by inches. He tailed my car driving like a mad man; weaving in and out of traffic. I was scared to get off the freeway and get stuck at a light so I stayed on the freeway plus my destination was in Folsom.

I called 911 three times and I never got a CHP or any law enforcement to assist me as these two men made rude sexual gestures and tried to run me off the rode several times.
Although, I provided law enforcement with all the information I never got a response. Luckily, they got off at the Hazel exit and I continued on into Folsom. I was so scared and so was my son. I wish I would have followed thru and made a police report. People like that should be locked up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users