8 replies to this topic

#1 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

Have a skunk that keeps returning to my backyard the last couple months and were tired of dealing with the smell on my dog. Its got to go... Anyone dealt with getting rid of a skunk? Any good traps out there?

#2 Rejiggered

Rejiggered

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

We have ongoing problems with skunks and raccoons since we live right next to the green space in the Parkway. I've unsuccessfully tried those live traps, as well as several less-kind home remedies. I ended up calling an exterminator. Unless you can kill it in some fashion, you're not going to want to deal with removing a trapped skunk from a live trap (or at least I sure wouldn't). And if you do kill it, where do you dispose of it? Can't really toss that in your weekly garbage pick up. I'd call a pro who deals with it all the time and knows all the tricks.

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

If you live next to or fairly near to an area with wildlife, I am surprised people are shocked that raccoons, skunks, snakes, etc, may visit occasionally.

Some people have pet food on their patio which attracts animals. I'm not sure there is a lot you can do other than *coexist*. :lol:

#4 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

if I trap it wont be alive for long. There is plenty of open space SO50 to dispose.

Weve had racoons in the past which I can live with but this is the first year we've had to deal with skunks. There is no coexisting with these things when you have a dog that continually gets sprayed.

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

We used to have a horrible problem with skunks in the yard,

They don't like bright lights (supposedly) so we installed a light with a motion sensor on it. They got used to the light or squinted their eyes or something, because it seemed to work at first and then they kept coming after that.

My husband trapped one once, threw a blanket over the cage in case the skunk sprayed, which it did), and took it down to the wetlands and released it. The problem is we're so close to the wetlands that skunks kept coming back.

We finally figured out they were entering our yard to get the bird seed that dropped out of the feeder. We finally had to get rid of the bird seeds. If you keep other pet food outside, they'll come after that as well.

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Sandman, where are you located? The reason I ask is that we are in Natoma Station, and after years of having no skunk activity, we've apparently had some move in.

#7 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

Talus Ridge for the last 6yr. Before that lived in Natoma Station for 10yr and never saw/smelled a skunk. Just had rats every Fall to deal with.

We dont have anything in our yard food wise I can see they would be attracted to so I think they are just passing through. We keep dog food inside the garage

#8 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

There is no coexisting with these things when you have a dog that continually gets sprayed.

You may not have much of a choice, but we wish you luck.

It is *nature*, after all. Some things we can't totally control. 

Experiment with a flood light or 2, on continuously during dark hours...they'll leave and go find a dark yard.

skunk-trapping-los-angeles.jpg

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Plus they're so adorable!! I kind of like them... I just don't want my dog to get hit (again).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users